User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup Camera Power on Momentum 25G

I installed a wireless backup camera on the rear of our new Momentum 25G Toy Hauler using the factory installed mount above the ramp door. Having read materials available to me regarding the electrical power at this mount, I knew that the camera would be powered either when the truck was in Reverse or when the running lights were on. This was ideal and such a great convenience to have it prewired. I installed the camera and everything was great with good reception and clarity and I was so pleased. I then discovered that the electrical power at this location is energized all the time and therefore the camera is on all the time. When l checked this forum, I find that people are having problems with their cameras not lasting very long because they're on all the time. I checked YouTube and see where people have fixed this problem by searching out power within the trailer that is only on when the running lights are on but they have to get into the ceiling and cabinets and make this connection. I can't find any discussion for a fix for this on this forum and am hoping someone will have a better idea. I'm really disappointed that Grand Design didn't wire the trailer in the way that I had read and I really can't figure out why this outlet would be energized all the time. I currently have plans to install a switch on this camera setup that will allow me to turn off the power when I want. Any other help would be appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same thought about installing a switch. I have not had time to research it but our 2930 has a bank of upper cabinets across the back of the RV. My thought is to find the camera power wire, hopefully somewhere in the cabinet and put a switch there.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply to Bradnailer

Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    I have the same thought about installing a switch. I have not had time to research it but our 2930 has a bank of upper cabinets across the back of the RV. My thought is to find the camera power wire, hopefully somewhere in the cabinet and put a switch there.
    Thanks for your reply. Because my Toy Hauler doesn't have any cabinets in this area and I hate to start getting into the ceiling and messing things up, I think I can pretty easily put a switch on the outside of the trailer. I just need to try hard to weatherproof all my connections. I am surprised, though, that this location is wired this way and, while I believe that Grand Design intended to wire it like this, I wonder why since you don't need the camera energized when the trailer is sitting in the yard or at a campsite. It's aggravating but I'm glad that I realized that it was always hot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the camera is on all the time, that would indicate it is on 12v circuit that is on all the time, or it is on a power feed prior to a switch that turns something else on. Could you determine which 12v circuit and then think about where the best place to break the “permanent” connection would be?
    Where is the camera on a toyhauler? I assume it is high on the rear in the attic space. On my Imagine 2150RB power comes from the running lights, so as long as lights are on the camera is powered. If it had been permanently powered I was all set to mount a switch on the inside wall behind the shark fin mount.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I installed a wireless backup camera on the rear of our new Momentum 25G Toy Hauler using the factory installed mount above the ramp door. Having read materials available to me regarding the electrical power at this mount, I knew that the camera would be powered either when the truck was in Reverse or when the running lights were on. This was ideal and such a great convenience to have it prewired. I installed the camera and everything was great with good reception and clarity and I was so pleased. I then discovered that the electrical power at this location is energized all the time and therefore the camera is on all the time. When l checked this forum, I find that people are having problems with their cameras not lasting very long because they're on all the time. I checked YouTube and see where people have fixed this problem by searching out power within the trailer that is only on when the running lights are on but they have to get into the ceiling and cabinets and make this connection. I can't find any discussion for a fix for this on this forum and am hoping someone will have a better idea. I'm really disappointed that Grand Design didn't wire the trailer in the way that I had read and I really can't figure out why this outlet would be energized all the time. I currently have plans to install a switch on this camera setup that will allow me to turn off the power when I want. Any other help would be appreciated.
    Which camera did you get?
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have fixed this on many different models by tying into the adjacent running light on the back. Several threads about it.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Wicked ace and JCR GD: Thanks for your responses. I bought the Haloview system. I was looking for something with better reviews and cheaper than Furrion and was looking at Tadi Brothers. I found a review on the Haloview that was favorable and compared the system with the Tadi Brothers so that's what I got. I've hooked it up and it works well but, I admit, I haven't been on a trip with it.

I considered tying into the running lights which are adjacent to the camera location to power the camera and taking care of my problem but, since the running lights on the trailer are LEDs, I was afraid it was a very low wattage circuit. Since the excellent Grand Design owners manual gives no information regarding fuses of circuits such as the running lights, if I blew a fuse on the running lights, I didn't know if I could find it to repair it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I considered tying into the running lights which are adjacent to the camera location to power the camera and taking care of my problem but, since the running lights on the trailer are LEDs, I was afraid it was a very low wattage circuit. Since the excellent Grand Design owners manual gives no information regarding fuses of circuits such as the running lights, if I blew a fuse on the running lights, I didn't know if I could find it to repair it.
    I don't know about that. Someone can jump in if I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if the fuse and wire network for the running lights was scaled-back to run LEDs. I'd bet you have the power you need at the marker lights.

On our Solitude (which did NOT have LED marker lights) when the camera didn't have any power at all (bad factory connection) I brought power down a few inches from the marker light. The wall is a tight aluminum/styrofoam sandwich but it's not hard to poke a few inches down through it.

I like the marker light power - whenever I want the camera I turn on the truck's lights. Some have complained that doing that darkens the displays in their truck, but I keep mine at the lowest setting anyway. It would be more work to wire it to reverse lights, and in that configuration the camera can't be turned on while you're driving, which is sometimes useful.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The marker lights are powered by the tow vehicle tail light circuit and is fused in the tow vehicle, not the trailer.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Chiefblueman, for your response. The rear camera mount power is definitely not on the marker light circuit and, while your point is good, I just installed a switch between the camera and the camera mount power and it's working well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast