Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suburban 2500, 2500RL and Equalizer woes?

Hello, I’m not sure if I should post this under tow vehicles or in the general section.

I am the happy new owner of a 2500RL. I bought it four hours away in my hometown, we camped there a couple nights and then drove it back to Detroit. It’s our first camper and the unit itself has no issues so far.

It drove fine on smooth roads but I did have an issue when crossing bridges or any hard dip in the road. The vehicle will rock front to rear over the dip and then the trailer will send an even bigger rock front to rear through the vehicle. It is only one cycle each so I feel the shocks are trying to do their job The suburban has a pretty stiff suspension and I just installed bilstein 5100’s on it. The empty ride is okay, maybe jittery on our crap roads. I set the tires to 47-62psi from factory 50-60 setting. I knew going in that it’s basically a 3/4 truck on a shorter wheelbase and the ride would be rough but how do I know if my hitch is set up right? I don’t think the mechanic test drove it. The front end felt planted and I didn’t feel any sway. I did see the end of the trailer wiggle 3-4” maybe once per mile, I associated that with the stiff head wind. It almost seems like I need even stiffer rear shocks.

The Burb sits nice and level, the mechanic pointed out to me the trailer nose is just a touch high and I could lower the equalizer to the next, lowest hole. I think I counted 8 washers on the hitch, does that seem right? I would estimate 850lbs on the tongue. It’s a 10k hitch.

Some specs on the Suburban, it’s a govt spec 2500 model, possible front plow springs, torsens cranked all the way down for lowest height, front ride height 39.5, rear 39 3/4. I have not measured hitched up yet. Tires are Firestone Transforce AT’s, 265/70r17. Soon to be Michelin’s. Payload is 2109lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17D76626-8445-4011-B866-B19845627A72.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	21905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	770281E3-6C63-473E-8E88-A34C8F047D45.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	21906

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new travel trailer.

You might want to load the trailer up like you would for a typical camping trip, and then decide whether you need to make any adjustments to the setup of your Equal-i-zer hitch. These trailers roll out of the factory with tongue weight that's about 10% (or less) of the gross weight, which is barely within the suggested configuration of 10% to 15%. By the time you get some gear loaded in it you're probably going to around 12% to 13%, and that difference may affect how your trailer tows.

You may also want to make a visit to a nearby CAT scale to get weights of the truck by itself, the truck and trailer with weight distribution disengaged (trailer hitched but spring bars not on bearing on L-brackets), and truck and trailer with weight distribution engaged. The CAT scale will give you separate weights per axle (truck steer axle, truck drive axle, and trailer) These weights will give you data on the actual hitch weight as well as an understanding of how the setup of your hitch is distributing weight.

I think that 8 washers is the maximum number that can be installed, so it seems a little strange that the RV dealer would set the hitch up that way from the start. You probably want to study the setup and adjustment instructions in the Equal-i-zer manual and then make adjustments yourself (or find an auto or truck shop nearby to help you).
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update, I still haven’t been able two get to a scale but it is on my to do list. I removed one washer and with some water in the tanks the whole setup is much smoother. The porpoising is almost completely gone. I would say the hitch was just too tight.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    Just an update, I still haven’t been able two get to a scale but it is on my to do list. I removed one washer and with some water in the tanks the whole setup is much smoother. The porpoising is almost completely gone. I would say the hitch was just too tight.
    Here is a link to the owners manual if you don't have it: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/docum...al_2016-06.pdf
    Two things you mentioned that I would suggest altering. The nose of the trailer needs to be level to slightly pitched down. This not only helps with weight transfer to the tow vehicle but the trailer itself. The axles on your trailer will be aligned and tires contacting evenly thus wearing evenly. Second is you have far too many washers in the head pivot. Equalizer recommends starting with four then adjusting from there. I tried differing setups because I had the same problems as you and found stating from neutral as in the manual got me close and then using a scale to adjust weight transfer (bar tension) dialed it in. I was towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and had it so good I didn't feel anything as trucks passed me.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.