User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE TO: Hughes Autoformer and Incoming Amperage question by OP

I just wanted to give all an update to my question I posted about the effects of using a Hughes Autoformer. I ended up buying one but before I installed it, I did a test. First, I used a digital volt meter to measure the voltage at an outlet inside of my trailer with just a normal load, no AC. My meter measured 118 volts. I also used my clamp on ammeter at a junction box on the line to the trailer to measure the incoming amps, still no AC. My meter measured 5.5 amps. Then I turned on the AC and the voltage dropped to 113 and amps went to about 9.

I then shut down all power to the pedestal and plugged in my Autoformer. After turning the power back on, the Autoformer lights (this model has the built in surge protection) confirmed that my wiring was ok. Turned power back off and plugged trailer into Autoformer, turned on the power and repeated the test with both volt and ammeter. The results were the same numbers, 118 volts, 5.5 amps. Then I turned on the AC and the volts made a slight dip then settled at 115 and the amps were about 7. The boost light on the Autoformer came on showing it was doing it's job.

So, my question was answered. The autoformer did work and my incoming circuit didn't trip the breaker. I know that 115 still isn't optimal, but I think with my situation with the long run of #10 wire, the AC shouldn't suffer.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amp readings don’t sound right with ac running. My ac units draw at least 13 amps alone. Going from 5.5 to 7 amps is only a 1.5 amp draw.

AC will be fine with 115 volts.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these notes about my model: (RV220-50):
    > always boosts 2% (this is called bypass)
    > Boost bypassed at 116VAC or higher
    > Boost 10% at 95VAC to 115VAC

The FAQs on the Hughs Autoformer web site say you will go into boost at 116v and return to bypass at 118v. So whenever your input voltage is 116v or higher before the Autoformer you should have 2% higher at the output. In their video example they show if you have 108v before the Autoformer then you will bet 117V at the output of the Autoformer; so this is about 8%.

It would be nice to know the voltage going into and out of the Autoformer under the load / no-load test you made. I think you just measured the output with and without a load. But it's working so all sounds good. I'll stay away from the whole amperage thing other than to say Amps=Watts / Volts, so any change in voltage is going to be reflected in the amperage drawn for the same amount of watts being used (drawn).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Amp readings don’t sound right with ac running. My ac units draw at least 13 amps alone. Going from 5.5 to 7 amps is only a 1.5 amp draw.

AC will be fine with 115 volts.
    I'll have to agree with Jerry, it doesn't sound like the compressor was on, just the fan motor.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually