User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody hear about or have an opinion about Mouse Guard for the underside of your RV?

Hi,

Great news: Our new 2020 GD Imagine 2250RK has been received at our RV dealer yesterday (a week ahead of schedule). Yippee.

Background: The Service Manager contacted me yesterday to discuss picking it up. And he proposed, since we had a bit of time and for an additional fee ($799 Cdn + Tax), applying Mouse Guard to the underside to seal up any crevices that mice may use during storage to access the inside of the trailer. It is a coating similar to truck bed liner which applies as a thick rubber and becomes hard upon curing. It comes with a 5 year warranty with a $500 / year clean, sanitize and fix should the coating not keep mice out.

Questions:
    1) Do any of you have experience with this?
    2) Do you recommend it? Why or why not?
    3) Does this seem like a sensible expenditure given your RV experience? Too cheap or too expensive?

Bear in mind that the TT will be stored off site as we don't have the space to keep it at our home so I won't be able to regularly have a peak and see if something is amiss specially in the winter time.

Thanks for any and all opinions on this.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience with mouse guard, but with what you describe I wonder how difficult it would be to drop the underbelly after it is applied. Hopefully you never have a reason to drop the underbelly, but a lot of us do for one reason or another. Just something to think about if you go that route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are handy at all this is something you can do your self. In my opinion the dealer is trying to make $800 more dollars from you. A spray can of anything like spray foam can be bought for less than $10 and applied your self. If GD has left large gaping holes during assembly and shipped to the dealer then any fixes or repairs should be done under warranty.
    Avoid this , you can do yourself.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you possibly referring to Mouse-Free? The description sounds the same and it is sold by RV dealers.

Our dealer is listed on their web site as an installer, but when I called them a while back to ask about it they said they no longer carried it since Mouse Free didn't stand behind their warranty. We didn't buy it so I don't have any first-hand experience with it.

FWIW, the warranty is very interesting...
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going from memory of our conversation yesterday. And you seem to be correct. All I could find which seemed similar is Mouse Free.

It also seems to be sold as a DIY product.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, above, is spot-on. When it first appeared at our dealer’s place, their price for application was $160. If you search mice, or mouse protection here, you will find many threads and ideas to keep mice (and ants) out of your new trailer. Most are low cost, and can be done as part of your winterization process. Most leave your trailer smelling nice, as well. Folks talk about all the places the critters can get in, too.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's about, $2,800 (CDN) for five years. No thanks.

Mice are nocturnal and avoid lit areas. We use LED snake/tube lighting under our TT as well as our storage shed and our house patio. We used to get mice in the shed, but not since using the lights. No longer do we have mouse droppings in our patio area either. I'd estimate $120-150 each year for the electricity and less than $100 to purchase three strands of lights as well as a automatic dusk-to-dawn controller. We're fortunate that we can just run the lights around the perimeter on the ground. Since you're in snow country, there may be a way to attach the lights to the frame (or elsewhere off the ground).

There are also electronic rodent devices. One that our neighbor uses is the Transonic Pro Bird-X. He has decent luck with it, but found that woodpeckers don't mind the noise.
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake. The $500 per year is the amount covered by the warranty not an additional fee.

Unfortunately we have to store the trailer at a storage facility so access to electrical for powered devices is likely a non starter.

But thanks for the suggestions.