User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RV fridge fan mod that every one needs

My 337 came with the 4 door Dometic. I wasn't happy with the inside temps. Did a lot of research and purchased this off of ebay. Its a little expensive but it works and has been keeping the temps below 35 in 90+ heat. The wire goes down the condensate tube to the power source. The wire on mine was too short so i had to add more. He also makes them for the single door refrig.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-RM1...72.m2749.l2649
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fridge fan.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    My 337 came with the 4 door Dometic. I wasn't happy with the inside temps. Did a lot of research and purchased this off of ebay. Its a little expensive but it works and has been keeping the temps below 35 in 90+ heat. The wire goes down the condensate tube to the power source. The wire on mine was too short so i had to add more. He also makes them for the single door refrig.

I did the same modification on my 2019 337 with the Dometic 1350 Refrigerator. What a game changer to circulate the air. My refrigerator is reading between 33 and 34 degrees consistenly now. Before it was in the low 40 to 50 degrees. I also us 4 Yeti type refreezable ice packs that I rotate from freezer to refrigerator. I must agree that it is an almost necessary ugprade.
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post

Thanks for this - after installing a fan blowing up in the area behind the outer lower vent cover - which didn't do any good, I may give this a try. Qustions:

It looks like there are four switches - one for each fan?
    How does it attach to the fins?
    Where is the access to the condensate tube?
    I have the same four door fridge - what setting (1-5) do you keep the fridge at when running these fans?

Thanks!
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    Thanks for this - after installing a fan blowing up in the area behind the outer lower vent cover - which didn't do any good, I may give this a try. Qustions:

I have the same four door fridge - what setting (1-5) do you keep the fridge at when running these fans?

Thanks!
    I did the same type of upgrade on our 312BHTS with the Dometic 1350. I used the Smart RV Products fridge fan. (Their website, rvsmartproducts.com, is down right now (permanently?), otherwise I would add a link.) The fan housing attaches to the inside top of the fridge by velcro and 3m adhesive. It is located just in front of the cooling fins. A ground wire with clip attaches to one of the cooling fins and the 12V positive wire is fed through the condensation tube to the outside rear of the fridge where there are 12V + connections. The condensation tube is located on the right side of the 1350 just behind and below a drip dray which collects condensate from the cooling fins. It is a 10 min install. It probably took me longer to unbox everything than actually install it. The fans have blue LED lights and there is an on/off switch on the front of the housing for all 3 fans.

I also added a fan switch set to 85* for the 4 outside fans installed by the factory. The chimney was actually well constructed with minimal space. However, the factory installed fan switch was set at 135* and by the time the chimney stack reaches that temp and the fans come on, the fridge is already way behind and just can't catch up. Here is the fan switch: https://rvcoolingunit.com/Fan-switch...-P4850272.aspx

With both the interior cooling fans and the new exterior fan switch, fridge temps went from 40* to 32-33* with outside ambient temps in the 90s.

From advice here on the forum, I also turn on the fridge about 3 pm a day or two ahead of departure. That way, the defrost cycle (~2 hrs in duration) occurs at 3 am when outside temps are the lowest and not during the heat of the day.
    Last edited by Fsalmy; 08-14-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Smart RV Products may be done. The only thing I can find now is a July 12 Facebook post thanking everyone for their support and that the past 9 years were "one hell of a run".

Here is what one of their units look like - fans are directed downward.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HO-fridge-fix-696x522.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	21974
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post

I also added a fan switch set to 85* for the 4 outside fans installed by the factory. The chimney was actually well constructed with minimal space. However, the factory installed fan switch was set at 135* and by the time the chimney stack reaches that temp and the fans come on, the fridge is already way behind and just can't catch up. Here is the fan switch: https://rvcoolingunit.com/Fan-switch...-P4850272.aspx
    Can you explain how you did this - where is the fan switch located? I think both these mods will be the answer for me.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you explain how you did this - where is the fan switch located? I think both these mods will be the answer for me.
    Our fridge is in the slide. Removed the outside top panel. The switch was located on the left upper corner of the condenser fins. It should have been a plug and play but the connector wires to the existing switch were both female connectors. I made a patch cord of male to male and it plugged in the new switch. I zip tied the new switch so it sat just above the condenser fins. Not including making the patch cord, probably 10 minutes total instal time. If our 312 wasn’t at the dealer for warranty repairs, I’d snap a couple of pics. There may be an install video on the website linked above.

I will say the four factory installed fans do produce good airflow across the condenser. Much better than I’ve seen in other units/makes with the fridge in the slide.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    1 switch for the led light and 3 switches for the 4 fans. The unit attaches with velcro to the fins and the access is the bottom panel on the outside. My Dometic came with the condensation tube tied in a knot, so i had to reach up a little bit from the outside and pull it down and untied the knot. I just keep it on 5.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our fridge is in the slide. Removed the outside top panel. The switch was located on the left upper corner of the condenser fins. It should have been a plug and play but the connector wires to the existing switch were both female connectors. I made a patch cord of male to male and it plugged in the new switch. I zip tied the new switch so it sat just above the condenser fins. Not including making the patch cord, probably 10 minutes total instal time. If our 312 wasn’t at the dealer for warranty repairs, I’d snap a couple of pics. There may be an install video on the website linked above.

I will say the four factory installed fans do produce good airflow across the condenser. Much better than I’ve seen in other units/makes with the fridge in the slide.
    My fridge is in the slide as well - and I agree - the 4 factory fans push a lot of air. My installation of a fan blowing up in the lower compartment seems to keep the 4 factory fans from coming on - most likely because my switch is also set to 135*. I'm going to remove the added fan. I'll check the website for a video, but if you can post some pics when you get it back, that would be great.

On Edit, there is no installation video - but I did order the switch.
    Last edited by FatTire; 08-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a great idea, I'm going to do this to. You right about the factory fans, they do produce a lot of air, but they don't come on when they should.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast