User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Two West lake Tires Failed within 500 miles same position closest to the entry door

We were on a trip heading back to Texas from Florida when we had our first tire issue. It lost its tread but held its pressure outside of Baton Rouge (tire was about 1.5yrs old with about 3-4k miles on it best I can figure). Then our second issue (sudden loss of pressure, tread still intact, side walls both tread detached) about 500 miles later the next dau on our first of two spares. Side note: I always carry two spares just in case, and I am glad I did as I needed them both this trip. Both tires were Westlake ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E, and both failed in the same position on the passenger side closest to the door. I made sure both tires had 80 PSI cold before using them and my TPMS showed them at about 92 PSI 45 Celsius (best I can recall). (Yes I know we use Fahrenheit in the US but this silly Tire Minder 55 TMPS will not change for some reason.) Can anyone help me understand why I would have two identical tires fail in the same position? Has anyone else had this same experience with these Westlake tires? Before I go replace them with the same tire is there a better option? I tow cross county once or twice a year and I have never had issues like this before and I do not want this to be an issue in the future if I can avoid it. Any help is much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlgandy2 View Post
    We were on a trip heading back to Texas from Florida when we had our first tire issue. It lost its tread but held its pressure outside of Baton Rouge (tire was about 1.5yrs old with about 3-4k miles on it best I can figure). Then our second issue (sudden loss of pressure, tread still intact, side walls both tread detached) about 500 miles later the next dau on our first of two spares. Side note: I always carry two spares just in case, and I am glad I did as I needed them both this trip. Both tires were Westlake ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E, and both failed in the same position on the passenger side closest to the door. I made sure both tires had 80 PSI cold before using them and my TPMS showed them at about 92 PSI 45 Celsius (best I can recall). (Yes I know we use Fahrenheit in the US but this silly Tire Minder 55 TMPS will not change for some reason.) Can anyone help me understand why I would have two identical tires fail in the same position? Has anyone else had this same experience with these Westlake tires? Before I go replace them with the same tire is there a better option? I tow cross county once or twice a year and I have never had issues like this before and I do not want this to be an issue in the future if I can avoid it. Any help is much appreciated.
    What trailer do you have? Some of the heavier trailers are still getting the E rated tires, which I think is a mistake.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two West lake Tires Failed within 500 miles same position closest to the entry door

That is interesting. Its a Reflections 290bh 5th wheel. Both truck and 5th together weigh in at 16060 lbs on the cat scales with all our gear.

Steer axle: 3300 lb
    Drive axle: 8740 lb
    Trailer axle: 4020 lb
    Gross: 16060 lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jlgandy2; 08-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to weigh each tire position to see if something is up as well as check alignment type issues.

The Goodyear Endurance seems to be a good choice on 15” wheels.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Seems that these tires are just not that great. Will look into these Goodyear’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westlake tire failures are common and that could be your problem. On my former 5th wheel the right front wheel carried 500 pounds more than the other three. I found this out when I had each wheel weighed individually. No one could explain this, lots of theories, but no real enlightening reason, just the way it was built seemed to be the common answer.

I spent big bucks getting heavier axles, wheels, hubs, brakes, and H rated tires, no more problem, but before that I would lose that right front wheel from 100 to 500 miles, went up to 2000 miles when I went to Goodyear G614 tires, but that right front would go.

All that to say that if you get the opportunity to get each wheel weighed individually it's money well spent.

And get better tires.... Just saying....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jlgandy2,

Could you double check your axle weights please? You are showing 8700+- on the drive axle, I would guess you mean 8700+- on the combined trailer axles which would be within the limits of your tires. Maybe a bad run of tires. I have been selling tires for over 30 years and right now I am having good luck with Carlisle HD trailer tires. They are still made over seas, but the quality seems good.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop