Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS Low pressure Warning!

Hello All,

Yesterday an interesting thing happened to me. I found out how well my TST TPMS system worked on my 5th wheel (80 PSI cold Tire Pressure, Westlake ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E). We were camping in Cherokee, NC for the weekend and as we were pulling out of camp my TPMS sensor alarm went off for low pressure. The low pressure limit on the TPMS is set at 75 PSI. The tires on the passenger side both were reading 74 psi. The Drivers side was reading 78 psi. After thinking about it for a minute I fought my initial instinct to add air. Soon after I was on the road all tires were reading the same at 80 PSI. You see that morning the temperature was cooler than normal 59° F. The normal daytime temperatures for me have been over 90° F during the day. The drivers side of the camper was getting full morning sun and the passenger side was on the shaded side. So the problem was all related to the ambient temperatures. I would have had a big offset on pressures while driving if I would have added air to the passenger side tires. It just shows sometimes a problem is not a problem.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    Hello All,

Yesterday an interesting thing happened to me. I found out how well my TST TPMS system worked on my 5th wheel (80 PSI cold Tire Pressure, Westlake ST225/75R15 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E). We were camping in Cherokee, NC for the weekend and as we were pulling out of camp my TPMS sensor alarm went off for low pressure. The low pressure limit on the TPMS is set at 75 PSI. The tires on the passenger side both were reading 74 psi. The Drivers side was reading 78 psi. After thinking about it for a minute I fought my initial instinct to add air. Soon after I was on the road all tires were reading the same at 80 PSI. You see that morning the temperature was cooler than normal 59° F. The normal daytime temperatures for me have been over 90° F during the day. The drivers side of the camper was getting full morning sun and the passenger side was on the shaded side. So the problem was all related to the ambient temperatures. I would have had a big offset on pressures while driving if I would have added air to the passenger side tires. It just shows sometimes a problem is not a problem.
    I am sorry you have not had much response on your post, I just spotted it today. In my research of tires and correct tire pressure I ran across a statement that Cold PSI should be set at 70f. If you research it you will get enough material to write a doctorate thesis. But I took that statement as fact. Over time, I have come up with the theory that Cold PSI can be adjusted up or down from 70f, the rate I use is 1 lb PSI for every 5f. Now, as you discovered, you must consider what ambient temperature is, and it can vary greatly depending on sun exposure. So 78 at 59f would be very appropriate, but was the shady side cooler, maybe 50f? Now 75-76 psi would be appropriate.

Another factor is the precision of the reporting instruments, sorry, but TPMS and normal tire gauges can be off 3-5 psi and still be considered accurate.

I am in my 8th year of living and traveling in a 5th wheel with TPMS. Sub-zero to triple digit, sea level to 10,000 feet. It all plays a factor. So what I do is balance my tires to correct pressure at least quarterly, attempting to obtain the perfect 70f and sea level. I set all 6 tires to 110psi as precisely as I can. Then I monitor my TPMS. I don't get too concerned about morning pressures being the perfect 110 psi, I get concerned when a single tire on one side does not come real close to the same pressure as the other two, and then I think about why one side will be different, again looking for discrepancies on that side. As long as they all stay about the same I am good, if one drops 5psi or more below the others on the same side I begin investigating. If left side and right side differ it's no biggie, so long as all the tires on that side are similar.

It takes time to learn the nuances of PSI. The one thing that you really want to watch for is the tire that loses 1-2 psi per day, day after day. That tire has begun to separate and will fail. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later, depends on usage.

I have all my worldly goods in my RV, as a result, I purchase the very best tires that I can. Cost more, ok a lot more, but I feel it's money well spent.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    Hello All,

I had a similar issue. A couple of weeks ago went to pull the trailer out of storage. All hooked up and start to pull away and my TPMS goes off. Driver's side front tire was at 65 PSI on the trailer. Normally at 80 PSI. Had a slow leak of all things from the TPMS feed through. It had loosened up a bit and very slow leak. Tightened up so no more bubbles and all should be good. Tire looked just like the others. As I have noticed before on tires you can't tell just by looking at them if they are low. Glad I had the TPMS.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will put a plug in for TPMS. Saved us big time on I-90 just outside Rapid City, SD. Alarm went off because we had picked up a nail. Called AAA to put the spare on and we were soon on our way. Could have been a disaster!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

[QUOTE=Calbar;252216]Had a slow leak of all things from the TPMS feed through. It had loosened up a bit and very slow leak. /QUOTE]
    Had exactly the same problem. The TPMS saved us from a TPMS problem.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=SmallBoxMaker;252802]
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Had a slow leak of all things from the TPMS feed through. It had loosened up a bit and very slow leak. /QUOTE]
    Had exactly the same problem. The TPMS saved us from a TPMS problem.
    Imagine that!! Guess it happens. Glad I'm not the only one.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone recommend a good TPMS & what makes it good? We are going to travel some distance for the first time & hubby wants one.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good TPMS & what makes it good? We are going to travel some distance for the first time & hubby wants one.
    TST 507 with a booster is good. Quick notification of problems and easy operation and installation. Company is responsive.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    TST 507 with a booster is good. Quick notification of problems and easy operation and installation. Company is responsive.

Thank you for your quick response, You sent me on a good research mission. I have learned a lot this afternoon.

Is yours a direct system or indirect (External on stems)?

how long have you had it & what don't you like about it? I am leaning on the internal, although, I have no idea how much it would cost to have them installed or if it a BIG issue....is it worth it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    Thank you for your quick response, You sent me on a good research mission. I have learned a lot this afternoon.

Is yours a direct system or indirect (External on stems)?

how long have you had it & what don't you like about it? I am leaning on the internal, although, I have no idea how much it would cost to have them installed or if it a BIG issue....is it worth it.
    Mine are the caps. Easy to install. I got it in August of 2017. Changed the batteries once in that time.

My biggest complaint is that you don’t get an alert if a sensor fails. That’s mostly a confidence issue. Kind of the bottom line to the TPMS is that you know everything is okay back there.

A minor negative to all of the add-on systems, not particularly the TST is that the dash is cluttered with displays. TPMS, rear view camera and GPS. It would nice if there could be some integration.

The internal sensors are more expensive and you need to dismount the tires and send them in for battery replacement when they fail.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast