Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Solitude and Short Bed Truck

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Solitude 321RL. I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with diesel.

I have plenty of truck but my truck has a short bed. I know the latest craze with 5ers for the last several years was to manufacture the front caps so short bed trucks can tow without needing a slider.

I have been pulling a Crossroads Cruiser for 10 years and have always had to use my slider. I'm more than ready to move on from using a slider.

My salesman says that the new front caps now allow towing without ever needing a slider. And based on my visual inspection….it does appear that is the case. (with the new contoured front cap)

However; before I lay down the bucks I would sure like some confirmation from some actual users that I will not need a slider with the new designed Solitude's.

Thank you
    Terry and Eileen
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 4X2 SRW 6.7 Cummins
    Houston Texas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2015 323BHS Reflection and I tow with a 2014 2500 RAM Megacab. I have a Pullrite auto slide hitch which automatically moves the 5th wheel back 18 inches when I back up past a certain angle. When I've placed the truck at 90 degrees (auto slider engaged the full 18 inches) I've measured about 6 inches of clearance between the truck and trailer. Based on those measurements I assume that without a slider hitch I would be too close to jack the trailer to 90 degrees. I'm not sure about turns less then 90 degrees. It's not the same setup as you describe, but it gives you an idea about clearance.

Sean

L&L Jackson
    We have a 2005 shortbed Ram 3500 and a brand new Solitude 320X. This is our second fifth wheel - our first new one and we don't want to take any chances. In both situations we had a Pullrite installed. Peace of mind and excellent customer service are standard with every Pullrite Super Glide. We haven't put it to the test but I'd tend to agree with spgillette. You'll be happy with the hitch.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a short bed Ford, and my Reflection was designed so you don't need a slider. BUT, I've "kissed" the cab twice now while backing up. Just an itty bitty little dent each time, but I'm thinking very seriously about spending the bucks for a Pullrite Super Glide.

Gdon320
    I have a short bed Dodge with a 320X and with some of the manuevering I have to do with the rig I would not take the chance of not having a slide. Even if you do not need it often, it gives you the insurance to keep from messing things up.

Gordon

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a short box pickup you better have a slider or an offset to the rear hitch, because it is not IF but WHEN you kiss your rv with the back of your cab!!!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. No tee shirt but I do have the souvenir dent to show for it. The moral of the story, with a short bed truck you will need to put the hitch in manuever sooner or later.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't tow my Reflection that much and I don't put myself into very compromising backing situations. Therefore, I chose to stick with the B&W Patriot hitch. The Reflections are not quite as wide as the Solitudes, and we have a few more degrees turning before the cab kiss takes place.

The Pullrites are sure expensive additions to any tow truck.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a short bed truck pulling a 385 th. picked up the bradco autoslider. Love it easy to hook, unhook.

http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel/...leid=201533053
    got free shipping on it also.
    Stacy and Scott
    2015 Momentum 385TH
    2016 F350 Lariat with AirLift 5000 airbags
    Bradco Hijacker Autoslider 21KW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a short bed with a slider. I haven't user the slider in years.
    Safe & Happy Trails.

2016 Solitude 369RL
    http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...UTVAWVWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast