User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solvent to clean butyl tape residue on tpo roof?

I will be installing a new vent fan. I have watched many videos on the procedure. They all use some sort of solvent to clean the butyl tape residue left from the old vent. I want to use something that does a good job cleaning the residue, but do not want to harm the tpo roof. I have tried the Alpha Systems website. Seems to be dead.

Can someone refer me to the right solvent?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following. I haven’t been able to find much info either.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I will be installing a new vent fan. I have watched many videos on the procedure. They all use some sort of solvent to clean the butyl tape residue left from the old vent. I want to use something that does a good job cleaning the residue, but do not want to harm the tpo roof. I have tried the Alpha Systems website. Seems to be dead.

Can someone refer me to the right solvent?
    All of this is discussed at length in the thread I referenced previously: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...an-Replacement

Gene (gbkims) posted a detailed response (see post 13) when I asked the same question last year. Please take a moment and read through the thread again.

FYI, I didn't need any solvent.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes can warm up the sticky stuff and roll/push with fingertips(kinda hard on the fingers), depends on how sticky the original butyl tape is.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Sometimes can warm up the sticky stuff and roll/push with fingertips(kinda hard on the fingers), depends on how sticky the original butyl tape is.
    Yup, this is what I did. Hair dryer to warm up and rolled it off. And yes the fingers were not to happy. Didn't get every trace of it off but i felt it was plenty clean enough. I didn't use any solvent
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used mineral spirits on a clean rag to clean up some dirty lap sealant prior to putting on some additional sealant. Worked well
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, howson. I read every post including #13 . I guess what I was looking for was the Alpha Systems (or GD) approved solvent to clean the butyl tape. Based on the thread PPG SX330 Wax & Grease Remover works well, but I did not see any reference to it being approved for use on the Alpha Systems TPO roof. Yes, I did see the references to the chemical makeup being similar to the Super Flex adhesive. I was just looking for an officially approved chemical. The TT is only 3 weeks old. I don't want to run in to any potential warranty issues.

Thanks for the info. It was a great thread. I am hoping my luck will be like yours and I will have very little residue left on the tpo.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]