User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Design Review, Final

Travel Trailer is about 4 months old and we just returned from a 30 day trip. I thought it would be a good idea to post a list of issues for anyone looking for a review. We bought this because we liked the way the interior looked and it had a washer/dryer hookup. Impressed with most of fit and finish, not impressed with the amount of problems. I'm going to contact GD to see about fixing the rest of the issues. I returned to the Dealer in Jacksonville for repairs twice which I can no longer afford to do as it costs me $100 for a round trip (1 trip to drop off, 1 to pickup). Hopefully I can take it to Tampa which is not quite as far and less tolls.

Grand Design 312 BHTS Problems * indicates completion.

1) Entry door hard to close and stay latched. *
    2) “Equalizer” in center of leaf springs has 2 fittings that can’t be greased.
    3) Bathroom sink small dent in front. *
    4) 3 skirting braces not attached due to broken screws. *
    5) Broken screw in slide out trim. *
    6) Outside kitchen “door” wouldn’t lock and lock damaged drawer. *
    7) Edges of stove extending above counter top. *
    8) Finger pulls on both pocket doors fell out. *
    9) Latch on drop down bunk needed repair. *
    10) Sewer cap cracked and leaks. *
    11) Fresh water drain valve leaks. *
    12) Hot water heater exterior door not closing properly. *
    13) Shower enclosure wall at bottom not secured properly. *
    14) Shower enclosure walls not adhering to bathroom walls causing gap at top.
    15) Master bedroom door not installed properly, one wall out of plumb both ways. Trim and jamb cracked. Dealer replaced jamb and trim. I had to remove, shim and reinstall for door to close without gaps. *
    16) Shades appear to be too short and losing creases, not maintaining shape when opening.
    17) Ceiling trim in bedroom and bunkroom is loose.
    18) Frame was rusting at delivery, untreated welds and surface rust. I have treated most areas. *
    19) Living room slide floor carpet (upper piece) was installed crooked, 1 ½ inches difference
    front to back.
    20) Moving part of awning frame does not line up with attached part when closed.
    21) Roof covering is molding at underlayment joints, weird.
    22) Light above docking station not working.
    23) Living room slide noise due to not being lubricated. *
    24) Shower door track at bottom corners not caulked properly causing leak (on a trip). I removed
    and replaced caulk. *
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 08-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    That is normal. Really. It doesn't hurt anything. (I cleaned mine once...and it's back so now I won't bother with it.)

Long discussion on the topic here: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-every-4-foot

Please read the entire thread to ensure you get all the info!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a list of complaints, I prefer compliments anytime, anywhere, everytime.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstones View Post
    Nothing like a list of complaints, I prefer compliments anytime, anywhere, everytime.
    It is a list of defects not complaints. I believe it serves a purpose to make others aware of what they might be encountering when purchasing a GD product. Their website claims "Our local workforce has been hand-picked and has an excellent reputation for second-to-none industry craftsmanship." "We put every Grand Design RV through a series of quality inspection gates during the manufacturing process. Once completed, the unit undergoes a comprehensive “final finish” inspection."
    I would hate to see the list of defects if they didn't have so many "quality" inspections.

My compliments are that most of the fit and finish is good and some of the materials are above average. I don't think GD is much different from any other major manufacturer's "high end" models, such as a Keystone Premier or Jayco Eagle. We decided to buy this one because it had a washer hookup and the interior look. I'm sure we will enjoy it for years to come.
    Last edited by Brewhedd; 08-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jayco Eagle..?? Not even in the ballpark. Owned a Designer for years prior to my GD.....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I wouldn't necessarily call the Reflection or Eagle high end models, I would say they would be a very close comp to each other. The eagle even has Ducted returns on the rear air.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
    Travel Trailer is about 4 months old and we just returned from a 30 day trip. I thought it would be a good idea to post a list of issues for anyone looking for a review. We bought this because we liked the way the interior looked and it had a washer/dryer hookup. Impressed with most of fit and finish, not impressed with the amount of problems. I'm going to contact GD to see about fixing the rest of the issues. I returned to the Dealer in Jacksonville for repairs twice which I can no longer afford to do as it costs me $100 for a round trip (1 trip to drop off, 1 to pickup). Hopefully I can take it to Tampa which is not quite as far and less tolls.

Grand Design 312 BHTS Problems * indicates completion.

1) Entry door hard to close and stay latched. * The selling dealer spent an hour pre-delivery. I spent another 2-3 hours working on it.
    2) “Equalizer” in center of leaf springs has 2 fittings that can’t be greased. Suspension squeaked like crazy on our 5600 mile trip out West. I think some bolts were dry.
    3) Bathroom sink small dent in front. *
    4) 3 skirting braces not attached due to broken screws. * Fixed these myself.
    5) Broken screw in slide out trim. * Also missing/broken screws in weather stripping of outdoor kitchen opening.
    6) Outside kitchen “door” wouldn’t lock and lock damaged drawer. *
    7) Edges of stove extending above counter top. *
    8) Finger pulls on both pocket doors fell out. *
    9) Latch on drop down bunk needed repair. *
    10) Sewer cap cracked and leaks. *
    11) Fresh water drain valve leaks. *
    12) Hot water heater exterior door not closing properly. *
    13) Shower enclosure wall at bottom not secured properly. *
    14) Shower enclosure walls not adhering to bathroom walls causing gap at top.
    15) Master bedroom door not installed properly, one wall out of plumb both ways. Trim and jamb cracked. Dealer replaced jamb and trim. I had to remove, shim and reinstall for door to close without gaps. *
    16) Shades appear to be too short and losing creases, not maintaining shape when opening.
    17) Ceiling trim in bedroom and bunkroom is loose.
    18) Frame was rusting at delivery, untreated welds and surface rust. I have treated most areas. *
    19) Living room slide floor carpet (upper piece) was installed crooked, 1 ½ inches difference
    front to back.
    20) Moving part of awning frame does not line up with attached part when closed.
    22) Light above docking station not working.
    23) Living room slide noise due to not being lubricated. *
    24) Shower door track at bottom corners not caulked properly causing leak (on a trip). I removed
    and replaced caulk. *
    We have a 4-month-old 312BHTS, too. Your list looks awful familiar. I highlighted in bold the items in your list that we had or still have as issues on our rig and added some more:

1) Outside kitchen door is warped preventing it from closing tightly
    2) When extended, awning rubs top of living room slide (GD says no issue)
    3) Kitchen slide gouges floor when extending or retracting
    4) Bunkhouse and LR slide seals torn at bottom
    5) Fridge propane supply line kinked when slide retracted *
    6) Kitchen sink incompletely caulked causing minor water leak into island
    7) Front stabilizer mounts and motor housing loose
    8) Kitchen slide underside front corner block with seal broken *
    9) Roof vent covers in bunkhouse and bathroom open when traveling
    10) Drawer slide mechanism in hutch broken *

All of the above, with the exception of the kitchen slide gouging the floor, are relatively minor and don't diminish our experience. Our rig is currently back at the dealer to address the remaining issues (18 in total, I think). GD has approved most everything under warranty with I think only one item still pending approval (replace outside kitchen door). The dealer has been working hard to resolve all issues and I appreciate the efforts on both GD and the dealer's part. These things happen. Be prepared and willing to work with your dealer and GD as a team.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a VERY LOOOONG list of deficiencies on my unit 2019 Momentum 21G --See previous post in the Momentum thread - I am going to meet with my dealer tomorrow morning to see if we can come to some sort of resolution as it has spent more time in the shop than with us -- or perhaps join forces with the dealer to go after with GD. My list goes from a few minor aesthetic issues to several major functional issues arising from poor quality factory workmanship/installation. To date I have 50+ issues and we have only used the unit a handful of times. Every time we take it out there is another 5-10 things we find. I am now hesitant to take it out and use it as I don't know what else will arise. My biggest concern is that GD prides themselves on their factory production and post production check points and 288+ point 3 rd party inspection prior to shipping to dealer -- I do not see how the issues with this unit were not caught in one of these quality control inspections. Several of our major issues have been "signed off" by people at the factory.
    IF I lived in the U.S. I would go in with the LEMON LAW, but here in Canada, we are too polite to have such a law-- we have a negotiating body that will help with motorized vehicles (Cars-Truck) but nothing for RV travel trailers 5ths or motor homes.
    I do like the design and funtionality of the floorplan and overall size, but I am suspect of this unit --- I fear it was one of those Friday ones affected by coffe breaks, lunch breaks and was rushed thru to get the production number as the majority of the issues are just lack of proper completion of the job.

Well that 's my rant for today.....

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it makes you feel any better but Lemon laws don’t apply to RV’s here either.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharont View Post
    My biggest concern is that GD prides themselves on their factory production and post production check points and 288+ point 3 rd party inspection prior to shipping to dealer -- I do not see how the issues with this unit were not caught in one of these quality control inspections. Several of our major issues have been "signed off" by people at the factory.
    I agree 100%. Then again, they say they "inspect", that doesn't mean "inspect and correct" if you want to get technical. LOL

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast