User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it's a remote possibility someone (likely me or the missus) could accidentally hit one of the two WH switches inside the door (gas/elec.) some time during the winter (Murphy's Law).

My idea of winterization 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean, where lows in the 20s do happen occasionally, is *not* to introduce antifreeze but just to thoroughly drain all tanks before backing the unit into my 40x40 shop, or run a space heater in the storage cavity. Worked for me last winter, anyhow.

Wonder if anyone has photos of winterization adaptors for use with air compressors? Or can I use a shop vac to suck out the last drops out of the WH (which I believe is low point in the plumbing)?

Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    almo, the two reasons I can think of for bypassing the water heater: replacement (or replacement of parts such as plug, pressure release valve) and winterizing. In either case, why would your water heater be turned on?

Also, re: your question about warm water from the pipes when the WH is bypassed, the heater gets so hot when running, that the nearby water lines, cabinetry, floor, all heat up as well. You just haven’t run the water long enough for it to cool down the lines.

GD and other manufacturers should put the nice diagram supplied above on the inside door of the closest cabinet!
    N

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by almo88320 View Post
    Guess it's a remote possibility someone (likely me or the missus) could accidentally hit one of the two WH switches inside the door (gas/elec.) some time during the winter (Murphy's Law).

My idea of winterization 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean, where lows in the 20s do happen occasionally, is *not* to introduce antifreeze but just to thoroughly drain all tanks before backing the unit into my 40x40 shop, or run a space heater in the storage cavity. Worked for me last winter, anyhow.

Wonder if anyone has photos of winterization adaptors for use with air compressors? Or can I use a shop vac to suck out the last drops out of the WH (which I believe is low point in the plumbing)?
    This is what I use:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	23882

Just screw it in to your 'city' water connection, set your compressor to approximately 45 psi, open each of your faucets/shower/toilet (hot & cold, one at a time). I also drain and bypass the hot water heater. A few drops in your water heater are no problem, I leave my drain plug out in order to let the tank completely dry out.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12