User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing living area TV, Removal of TCL, 2019 Solitude

We want to replace the 49" TCL with a 50" Samsung Smart TV. I thought it would be easy. The four fasteners that hold the bracket to the two elevator arms look to be Torx. I have a complete set of Torx drivers. T15 is too small, T20 wants to grab but spins in the fastener, T25 is too big.

Did Grand Design use something weird that looks like Torx but isn't? What have others done to remove these? Any tricks would be appreciated.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    We want to replace the 49" TCL with a 50" Samsung Smart TV. I thought it would be easy. The four fasteners that hold the bracket to the two elevator arms look to be Torx. I have a complete set of Torx drivers. T15 is too small, T20 wants to grab but spins in the fastener, T25 is too big.

Did Grand Design use something weird that looks like Torx but isn't? What have others done to remove these? Any tricks would be appreciated.
    That sounds like a number 2 Double Square Trailer / RV Insert Screwdriver Bit.
    I'd just gotten some for double square trailer screws.
    Supposedly a number 2 square bit will work in a pinch on them.
    Last edited by gbkims; 08-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I did the same swap except with a Samsung 4K smart TV and the screws are not Torx.

You need a Robertson #2 bit to remove and reinstall them.

We also had to buy new longer HDMI cables because the Samsung ports are on the opposite side of the TV that the TCL ports were on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3165.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	21937

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    That sounds like a number 2 Double Square Trailer / RV Insert Screwdriver Bit. I'd just gotten some for double square trailer screws. Supposedly a number 2 square bit will work in a pinch on them.
    @KirbyRVA, Gene is correct but as one of those annoying Canadians I have to report that up here the bit is a "#2 Robertson" and is as common as dirt. The square bit fits just fine into four of the eight points in those weird screws.

The Robertson was invented ages ago by a Canadian and lots of stuff up here is put together with Robertson screws, which have a simple 4-point square hole. It's a great design - much more secure and stronger than Philips - but for some reason didn't catch on much in the U.S.

I dunno how the strange screws GD uses came to be, but just like you I stocked up on both kinds of Torx bits that didn't work before learning that the box full of Robertsons I already had were what I needed.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. I have the #2 square bits for my drill so will get after it tomorrow. I'm hoping the bracket they have mounted to the back of the TCL will fit the Samsung without modification. The Samsung has the same 'hump' on the lower back of the TV so it may go well.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: well the square bit worked like a charm. However, the metal bracket that mounts to the TV will not work without modification. So, any tips from anyone who has mounted a Samsung using the bracket that was used for the TCL would be appreciated.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: well the square bit worked like a charm. However, the metal bracket that mounts to the TV will not work without modification. So, any tips from anyone who has mounted a Samsung using the bracket that was used for the TCL would be appreciated.
    We just replaced our TCL with a Vizio, and found (probably like you) that the bracket holes are not standard on the elevator. My husband got two aluminum strips and drilled holes in them to match the holes in the TV as well as the holes on the elevator. He mounted the metal strips to the TV, and then mounted the TV to the elevator.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an imagine tow behind with a tcl tv. Have a smart Samsung in the box as a replacement. The four holes in the plate dont line up with the screws in the tv. Where did you find the Robertson bit? Must go find one! The bit/driver will have to be small diameter to get through the hole to the screw head. If the plate holes dont line up guess I will have to remove the plate, drill holes in the appropriate spots and then remount. First challenge will be to get the darn thing off.

So, how did you solve your problem if I may ask?
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The saga continues. Removed the tv, predrilled holes in the plate, then discovered the folding arm wont fold properly because the plugs block complete fold. Look carefully at how the plugs, hdmi cables etc connect and will the allow a simple replacement. Many, I repeat many, TVs wont just replace. After a long search, I believe the tcl 32s325 roku will fit. Went to four different stores looking for it. Restocking issues, incorrect web information on what was in stock, no person to person contact on the phone cause they are busy restocking. No one in our town has them. This explains why I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon. Go online, find it and it ships instantly. Well, now with covid it takes longer, but they at least have it. I pray it actually fits. So the nonfitting samsung is a replacement for a smaller tv in the bedroom and have to figure out what to do with the removed tcl. Nothing was simple but think I got it sorted out....
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog