User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little update for those interested (in case you ever have to emergency extend your awning lol). Can’t say the idea was original (with the coat hanger) as I saw it on some rv site. At this point I have to say it was a loose/weak/dirty connection causing the problem. Cleaned everything up and it works good now.

1. Used a metal coat hanger to wrap a loop around the lower half of the wire. I didn’t want to lose it down the channel if the awning didn’t open.
    2. Used a long pair of forceps to separate the plug
    3. Connected a jumper wire to motor plug. I wasn’t provided one with the trailer so I used a pigtail from a trickle charger and it fit perfectly
    4. Opened and closed awning several times from battery pack. Cleaned connections with electrical contact cleaner and trimmed plastic so it would be a little more weather proof.
    5. Confirmed good voltage at wires. It does drop a decent amount if the interior slide lights are on
    6. Lubed rails with a dry silicone lube
    7. Learned a lot more than I needed to know about power awnings!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09680232-E046-4478-932D-88242D90C4BA.jpg   30EE74D1-EBAA-4708-B7D3-182E5969536A.jpeg   C1E2A907-1E9F-49A9-869C-67B396CB60BB.jpeg   657545AB-4F81-4ADA-B5C4-B07DA05D3A69.jpg  
    Last edited by Justa5th; 08-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    Little update for those interested (in case you ever have to emergency extend your awning lol). Can’t say the idea was original (with the coat hanger) as I saw it on some rv site. At this point I have to say it was a loose/weak/dirty connection causing the problem. Cleaned everything up and it works good now.

1. Used a metal coat hanger to wrap a loop around the lower half of the wire. I didn’t want to lose it down the channel if the awning didn’t open.
    2. Used a long pair of forceps to separate the plug
    3. Connected a jumper wire to motor plug. I wasn’t provided one with the trailer so I used a pigtail from a trickle charger and it fit perfectly
    4. Opened and closed awning several times from battery pack. Cleaned connections with electrical contact cleaner and trimmed plastic so it would be a little more weather proof.
    5. Confirmed good voltage at wires. It does drop a decent amount if the interior slide lights are on
    6. Lubed rails with a dry silicone lube
    7. Learned a lot more than I needed to know about power awnings!
    Cool!
    I have those battery tender SAE cords, just didn't realize I might need them for an awning.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Cool!
    I have those battery tender SAE cords, just didn't realize I might need them for an awning.
    I thought no way I would get lucky enough for it to fit. Threw a set in the trailer just in case. Never even knew that they could possibly be used to close awning also.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post about problem solving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 297RSTS and first trip out this season our awning did the same thing! Did you get yours repaired yet?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camplaxing View Post
    We have a 297RSTS and first trip out this season our awning did the same thing! Did you get yours repaired yet?
    It is still working after the troubleshooting I did above. If it keeps working during our next trip I am going to consider it fixed/loose connection.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Setting Up Camp
    West Virginia and wherever I rest my head
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you find wrong with the awning.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Near as I can tell it is heat related. High outside temp/sunshine and it doesn’t work. It’s at the dealer now for that and a list of other things. Couldn’t use it all summer which kinda defeats the purpose of having one. I was almost positive it was a loose/poor connection but I don’t think that ended up being the problem.
    Last edited by Justa5th; 01-16-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem on my 2018 Reflection 337RLS. I'm camping right now so I can't take it apart to diagnose. Any help is appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve done everything possible including motor replacement and switch replacement, checked all connections etc. Mine is definitely related to outside air temp/sunshine. My best guess is undersized wire was run to the motor so when there is a heavy draw on it there is not enough power supply to make it work. Wish I could help you more. Good luck and keep us updated.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast