User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic awning won’t extend

Hoping someone can see something I missed. Tried searching forums and couldn’t find a direct answer but assume the motor is bad. The Dometic 9100 awning on my slide won’t extend. When the interior button is pushed I hear a click by the awning motor (louder click when hitting retract) and the lights in the slide dim but it won’t extend. I believe the lights dim due to the awning being wired into interior slide lights. Here is what I have checked.

1. Good power from batteries to switch wiring (and interior lights in that slide)
    2. Changed switch to one that I know works
    3. Disconnected battery power in hopes it would reset
    4. Attempted to “assist” it while someone else used the interior button
    5. Swapped fuse in main fuse panel
    6. Drank several beverages and cursed

I am unable to access the wire by the motor because the awning is closed. I was going to check the voltage there and also check the connection but cannot access the area. I’m out of ideas.

Dealer is out as I just got my rig back after several months in the shop (plus they are 250 miles round trip). Normally I wouldn’t worry about it but we are close to hitting the road and that awning is the one that blocks sun out of the large dinette slide window.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on the Dometic, but most have a manual override so you can get it out to check the wiring and even put 12v to the motor and see if it runs. That said if it is clicking that's not a good sign for the motor.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Not sure on the Dometic, but most have a manual override so you can get it out to check the wiring and even put 12v to the motor and see if it runs. That said if it is clicking that's not a good sign for the motor.
    I did see where you could do that but I’m afraid if I unplug the motor wire I won’t be able to reconnect it as it is inside the track. It is currently in the stored position so I do have that going for me!
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I did see where you could do that but I’m afraid if I unplug the motor wire I won’t be able to reconnect it as it is inside the track. It is currently in the stored position so I do have that going for me!

Yeah I was just looking at some YouTube videos on yours to get a feel for it but no one says what to do if it's stuck in lol. If you can get to the plug to plug in the little cable they give you to connect to a battery that would tell you if it's the motor or not. If it does not work connected to a battery, then it's probably the motor.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    Yeah I was just looking at some YouTube videos on yours to get a feel for it but no one says what to do if it's stuck in lol. If you can get to the plug to plug in the little cable they give you to connect to a battery that would tell you if it's the motor or not. If it does not work connected to a battery, then it's probably the motor.
    I wish they would have given me the cables. I looked in the bag of documents and all I have is the strap for the awnings. That was one more reason I was reluctant to disconnect them. I agree though that would help me troubleshoot a lot more. I may have to give it a go.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I wish they would have given me the cables. I looked in the bag of documents and all I have is the strap for the awnings. That was one more reason I was reluctant to disconnect them. I agree though that would help me troubleshoot a lot more. I may have to give it a go.
    That certainly makes it more difficult. Worst case if you get the plug off and can't get it back on you have to take it in or call in a mobile tech, you're not much worse off than you are now.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clicking I'd think was the electric brake turning on and off. It does sound like the motor is bad.
    tubastew had his motor/brake pulled apart after it failed - https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...0-awning-motor
    I guess the 9100 manual only mentions closing the awning manually because of the spring tension inside the tube.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9100 manual I was looking at - https://liferebooted.net/life-reboot...g%20Manual.pdf
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Thank you. I saw somewhere that you could take the motor end off with no tension but didn’t want to risk it. I tried locking the spring in place on the other end but don’t feel like the pin I was using was getting to the right place. I am thinking it is the brake also. Would be nice to get to the wires and try to see if I could get it free. I literally have put the awning in/out 10 times if that.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, at least if could get to the wires could see if one of the connections was loose.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast