User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IL and IN Folks, Can You Help with Route to Goshen Rally, Please?

Hubby and I will be attending the Indiana Rally - our first ever rally! It's also the first time we will be taking our 2018 Reflection 337RLS any farther than the 100 miles it took to bring it home from the dealer, and a few 50 mile or so weekend camping trips

I recently got RV Trip Wizard and planned our route. We are coming about 825 miles from S. Dakota, and are planning on it taking 3 days. Trip Wizard wanted to send us on I-80 through the Chicago area, which we would rather avoid. I've come up with a route that will avoid that area, but not being familiar with any of the roads, wondered if some of you could tell me if this is a good way to go or not?

I was going to take I-90 to Albert Lea, MN, then take I-35 S (spending the first night in Clear Lake, IA). Then pick up 18 to 318 to 380 through Iowa where I'd get on I-80 in Iowa City. We'd then take I-80 (stopping for the 2nd night at Geneseo Campground in Geneseo IL) as far as LaSalle, then drop S on I-39 to Hwy 17 E, through Kankakee, then 114/10 to Deer Park. Then head N on 231 to Hebron where we'd pick up Hwy 2 to Valparaiso. Then E on 30 to Plymouth, then N on 31 (would spend the 3rd night at Maple Ridge Campground in Lakeville), and finally 20 to 33 to Goshen.

Can any of you tell me if these roads are okay, or can you suggest a better route? And if you have any experience with the campgrounds, or know of something better in the area, that would be great.

Sure appreciate any help you can offer, and look forward to meeting some of you at the Rally!

Andi
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andi, I sure hope someone can help you. That sounds like alot of road changes.
    Welcome to the forum and have a safe journey to the rally. You'll have a great time meeting everyone..see you there!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems like a lot of changes to avoid the Chicago area via I80.

We actually don't live to far from the Geneseo canpgrounds, but have never stayed there as we prefer camping at Illiniwek Forest Preserve (IL) or even Scott County Park (IA) if you are coming from 80 West (neither are reservable though)

We just came back from PA and traveled I80 most of the way. Yes traffic can get a little heavy around Chicago, but if you avoid rush hour you are fine. It doesn't go anywhere near downtown as it runs more on the south side. We did hit traffic on the way back but we came through at a bad time.

Make sure to avoid the 74 bridge in the Quad Cities (Davenport/Moline) as they are working on building a new bridge so either stay on 80 which turns to 74 (preferred) or take 280 south of the QC. Careful of the Geneseo roads from the 80 exit to the campground as one of them will take you via a low clearance bridge. Don't need to see you on the news for getting stuck!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andi - we are leaving SFSD and staying in the Geneseo CG as well both on the way to and back from the rally on Saturday nights. When we took our 303 back to GDRV last spring to have the walls replaced, I too avoided I-80 south of Chicago. I did drive back w/o the camper on I-94 and I-80 on a Monday. Traffic was heavy as expected but the thing that was most memorable were the terrible roads relative to huge heaves and potholes. The truck literally came off the ground a few times. No wonder the RVs being towed west can get the he!! beat out of them on I-80 south of Chicago.

When we returned several weeks later to pick our 303, we did take I-80 east to the toll road. Again, I-80 east from about Joliet was horrendous in many areas with heaves and pot holes the size of the moon. Truck was air born a couple times just like when I headed west on I-94 and I-80 several weeks before as mentioned above. The toll road, however, was like driving in heaven on a cloud.....smooth as can be and not much traffic.

On our return trip to SFSD with our 303 we did take the route you mention with the exception of 33 south to Goshen, of course since were coming form north of Middlebury. All good roads and semis and RVs were numerous on the roads. All the roads were pretty good.

We are planning on pretty much your route when we head to the rally next week as well. We will be taking I-29 to I-80 though as we are spending a night at a CG at Saylorville Lake just north of Des Moines since our daughter/S-I-L/grandson live in the Des Moines area. We will stay here on our return trip too. A second change may be to run HWY 8 east our of Hebron rather than HWY 2 to Valparaiso. We ran HWY 2 last spring as 8 was closed and under construction and maybe now it may be a pretty good route. We will see when we get there and decide how far to take it before we get to HWY 31 up to HWY 6 then HWY 15 north to Goshen for our Sunday PM arrival. HWY 2 was a nice drive.

Look forward to meeting you all and seeing you along the way I suspect !

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 08-14-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dan, very helpful info! Think I'll be making a few changes based on your suggestions. Nice to have first-hand advice from someone who has traveled those routes. Looking forward to meeting you too!

Andi
    Andi & Rudy
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, this is too funny. We pull into the rally yesterday after having an issue with not being able to empty our black tank before arriving. Instead of proceeding to Section C where we were supposed to be, the organizers had us go over to Section A where there were FHU so the techs could work on our valve and then empty our tanks. They then said we could stay in that spot if we wanted as there had been a cancellation. Sure, we'll stay here, why move if we don't have to.

This morning a rig pulls in next to us with South Dakota plates. Now most of the time when we see SD plates we assume it's someone domiciled in our state, not anyone who really lives there. Hubby goes out and asks the new neighbors if they're residents or not. "Yes" says the man. "We're Dan & Carol from Sioux Falls". What?!?!?!?!?! Yes, the same Dan who gave me really helpful info about the route to Goshen in this thread! What are the chances that we would end up camping right next to each other!
    Andi & Rudy
    2018 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got in okay! And nice upgrade to a fhu site!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - what are the odds of this happening ! I shared with Carol a few times over the last days it sure would be nice to meet Andi (and now "Rudy" too) at the rally. But to be end to end with each other very cool indeed. In addition, to be just across the road from Jim & Ginnie along with Cate & Rob as well........well, well, well.....icing on the cake ! I see fun days ahead with chances of beverage showers ! Looking forward to our first rally.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide