User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Weboost Rv cell phone mod

Just got done with my cell phone mod. I purchased the weboost RV kit and decided that i wanted to put it on an extension pole for extra height. I also didn't want to drill any holes so i decided to use the existing coaxial runs from the input side of the camper. The one to the main TV. We don't which cable when we are camping. Luckily, each coaxial run is separate, you have one to the main tv, then another one to the bedroom,etc. If there was a signal splitter I would not have been able to do this. I purchase an extension pole off of amazon and the suction cup from harbor freight for $8. The pole is 6 feet closed and 18 feet extended. Its actually better than the one at lowes that is 16 feet. The suction cup is super strong and I used pipe clamps to mount the pole to the suction cup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails close up 4.jpg   close up 3.jpg   close up 2.jpg   distance.jpg   campartment.jpg  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you hooking up cell phone booster to coaxial of Televisions? I have been interested in a We-boost, but haven't bought one yet. I thought it hooked up to something inside to help you get phone service.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The signal runs through coaxial cable. The cable from the outside antenna connects to the booster, from the booster to the inside antenna. I'm using the existing coaxial in the RV to get the signal from the outside antenna to the booster that is mounted behind the tv in the living room. Thus, not having to drill a hole somewhere to bring the coaxial cable from the outside antenna to the booster.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The cables that come with the weboost are coaxial, instead of l using the weboost cable i'm using GD's cable. Hope that answered your question.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post.
    Interesting mix of coax impedance 50 ohm and 75 ohm by the Weboost.
    Looked thru the Weboost DRIVE 4G-X RV install manual and see the external antenna coax to the booster is RG6 75 ohm and the internal antenna coax is RG58 50 ohm.

In years past 50 ohms coax was used in radio transmitters/receivers and 75 ohm coax was in video use.
    50 Ohms: The Forgotten Impedance https://www.belden.com/blog/broadcas...tten-impedance
    50 Ohm vs. 75 Ohm: Which is Best For You? https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blo...-best-for-you/
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if you don’t use the ones already there for satellite or cable it makes sense. I use mine already & just an FYI. You may need to do some tightening, I have a lot of issues of not always working properly. I saw a post of someone doing like you did as far as not permanently mounting antenna, and they slid the cable thru the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Thanks for the post.
    Interesting mix of coax impedance 50 ohm and 75 ohm by the Weboost.
    Looked thru the Weboost DRIVE 4G-X RV install manual and see the external antenna coax to the booster is RG6 75 ohm and the internal antenna coax is RG58 50 ohm.

In years past 50 ohms coax was used in radio transmitters/receivers and 75 ohm coax was in video use.
    50 Ohms: The Forgotten Impedance https://www.belden.com/blog/broadcas...tten-impedance
    50 Ohm vs. 75 Ohm: Which is Best For You? https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blo...-best-for-you/
    Does it effect the signal? Is it something to consider?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I was going to suggest that the impedance might be an issue. I'm pretty sure that they use RG-58 for the external antenna in the kit, I would not think it's a good idea to kiss and match them. I got a Drive Reach kit from them and changed out to the trucker antenna. Got an extension cable that was the same cable as Weboost used, ran it down the ladder and into my rear compartment.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got done with my cell phone mod. I purchased the weboost RV kit and decided that i wanted to put it on an extension pole for extra height. I also didn't want to drill any holes so i decided to use the existing coaxial runs from the input side of the camper. The one to the main TV. We don't which cable when we are camping. Luckily, each coaxial run is separate, you have one to the main tv, then another one to the bedroom,etc. If there was a signal splitter I would not have been able to do this. I purchase an extension pole off of amazon and the suction cup from harbor freight for $8. The pole is 6 feet closed and 18 feet extended. Its actually better than the one at lowes that is 16 feet. The suction cup is super strong and I used pipe clamps to mount the pole to the suction cup.
    Sorry to be negative, but the RG-6 cable running inside your trailer is not the highest quality possible plus there's loss in the cheap connector plate used. Both will likely reduce the effectiveness of your booster since the high frequencies used by cell systems are especially prone to loss in low-quality conductors.

Consider drilling the hole you probably wanted to avoid drilling. It's pretty easy to put a 1" hole in the back wall and feed quad-shielded RG6 cable through a marine cable pass-through fitting made for such a purpose. Signal improvement would probably be noticeable.

I'd also guess - I don't know for sure - that the single "super-strong" suction handle won't be enough to keep your mast up in strong winds. There will be significant leverage on it in storms, so a second one mounted a few feet above the current one would make it bit more secure.

Just internet opinions, worth what you paid for them.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since WeBoost put the antennas and coax in their kit, I'd just use what they sent.
    If one antenna and coax is 75 ohm and the other 50 ohm, I expect they tested this and works for the kit.
    Their manual shows a lot of kit options:
    Antenna Kit Options
    OUTSIDE FIXED
    75 Ohm Outside Antenna Kits
    50 Ohm Outside Antenna Kits

Inside Antenna Kits
    75 Ohm Wall mount Panel Antenna
    50 Ohm Wall mount Panel Antenna

As said, any loose connections in the RV's wall plates and underbelly would probably be what to watch for.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast