User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh crap our first sewer pipe mishap

So we did a two hour orientation on our RV with a mechanic and a person that went over all the aspects of our trailer. He showed us how each valve opens and close for dumping the two gray water tanks and the black tanks. So we get to our a camp grounds only 10 minutes from our home for the next 3 days. I chock the tires, level the trailer, open the slide, connect the power, connected the water and the last thing is to connect the sewer pipe. I put on my sewer gloves that I bought and have my brand new sewer pipe ready to connect. As I take the cover off the pipe on the RV water starts pouring out WTF. I put the cap back on and rethink this. I figure with the predeliverey opening each valve to show us how they worked and the fact that they had flushed the water system and each tank had water in them I have water in the tubes to the end cap. So the only thing I can do is try and take the cap off quick and put the sewer hose on or I just remove the cap let the water run out and hope no one thinks I just letting my black tank run out over the ground, boy I felt like cousin Eddie. Other than that our first day was perfect. Sitting in the RV tonight I'm looking at sewer gate valves on Amazon tonight.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, everyone has their own stories. Those twist on gate valves are worth their weight in gold. At least your surprise was with clean water. After we took delivery and did our PDI, the tech left our rear black tank valve open, with the cap on the outlet of course. We used that toilet a bunch before we got to our first campsite, boy what a surprise I got!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my sewer caps with ones that have a garden hose nipple on them. By removing the garden hose cap I only get a small surprise at worst. And it's easy to hold the sewer hose under it if I have to drain the line.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the issue was. It was clean water. Could've just let'er rip.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father-in-law’s buddies “helped” him hook up at a family reunion once. They hooked fresh water to the sewer flush line....
    Sitting having s beer about 45 min later water running out door via toilet! It wasn’t bad until grandma hit the foot pedal to look inside to see if it was full!!

Needless to say I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is solution that will help you shut valve in hurry. I took very small screw and drilled hole in top where it connects to camper after installing the Valterra shutoff valve to lock it into place. Heard of some people gluing in place but screw works best if you need to replace valve in future; screw was just long enough to go through Valterra valve and campers sewer outlet. You can buy Valterra shutoff valve on Amazon.
    Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve
    Last edited by Buckskin; 08-14-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the downside of a GD RV - waste water plumbing. Apparently they haven't figured out that water (or whatever is in those drain pipes) should flow downhill. If you do a search you will find many, many of us have had to put on a gate valve at the discharge end so nothing comes out when we remove the end cap. Then we can open that gate valve, let the water that never drained from the 'not so good drain plumbing design' and connect our sewer hoses.

Anyway - it's good to hear you are out using the RV and, hopefully, having a good time. Most of this stuff that happens we just have to kind of laugh-off and continue on having a good time. These first world problems kind of go with the 'territory'. Wait until you have a really bad sewer dump mess from something like the hose popping out of the sewer drain in the middle of draining the you-know-what tank. Yikes - smelly times...
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods