User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sceen door latch

Who ever thought that two screws on the bracket that hold the screen door locked to the main door would hold going through thin aluminum should be shot. After 1 day with opening and closing the door the screws started to pull away from the door. I had noticed this when we looked at the unit and the salesman said they will tighten the screws up. I said that's not possible. I brought with me JB weld to fix it. I removed the bracket that hold the screen door closed used a #3 square head and hammered the aluminum that had been pulled out back inside the door. I then sanded the area under the clip and the back of the clip. I mixed up some JB weld pushing it into the two holes for the screws and around the area of the clip. I installed the clip so it was snug to the door and let it dry for 3 hours. The JB weld is holding the clip to the door nice and tight and it's working perfect. I think the hinge on the main door is the issue, because of the friction you need to slam the door to get it to close which puts huge pressure on those 2 screws. I hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem. Since I has purchased a box of slightly larger stainless steel screws to replace all the broken screws on the exterior trim, I used a couple to attach the door clip. So far they are holding, but if they pull out I will get some JB.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m curious with what screws you when with, I can already see some surface rust on mine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10 x 1 inch hex head stainless steel sheet metal screws. When I noticed all the broken screws in the outside trim, I removed one of the screws that hadn't broken yet and it looked to be a #8 x 1 inch self tapper. Since the hardware store didn't have the cappuccino colored screws, I went with stainless.
    The door clip came loose and I had the screws from the siding repair.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That screen door latch is exactly my problem. The thing I run in to when upsizing the screw for instance like this is many times I have to bore out the hole in the screen door latch (in this case) to even use the screw. Not to mention it still will likely strip the tin foil aluminum trailer door. I was wondering about using Rivnuts. I have used them before in auto restoration for exactly this sort of issue. Only downside with these is you have to bore out the hole in the trailer door (in this case) for the rivnut insert to fit in. Once installed you use a common machine screw to hold the latch on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riv2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	22555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riv3.jpg 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	22556

Name:	rivnut.jpg 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	22554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	22553
    Last edited by SJMaye; 09-12-2019 at 03:27 AM. Reason: add photos
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    That screen door latch is exactly my problem. The thing I run in to when upsizing the screw for instance like this is many times I have to bore out the hole in the screen door latch (in this case) to even use the screw. Not to mention it still will likely strip the tin foil aluminum trailer door. I was wondering about using Rivnuts. I have used them before in auto restoration for exactly this sort of issue. Only downside with these is you have to bore out the hole in the trailer door (in this case) for the rivnut insert to fit in. Once installed you use a common machine screw to hold the latch on.

Name:	riv2.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	22555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riv3.jpg 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	22556

Name:	rivnut.jpg 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	22554 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	22553
    I have one of those but the medal of the door is so thin. I decided to go the JB weld route. So far its holding perfect but I hate my friction hinges the hinges twist and I have to slam the door which caused the problem with the screen door in the first place. When I open my door it pops open 3" because of the pressure of the hinges.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars