User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    1, So shouldn't my measured hitch weight (~875 lbs empty tanks - about 13% of measured axle weight) line up with the difference in the truck weight hitched vs unhitched (680 lbs - about 10% of measured axle weight)? Why the difference and which one is right?

2. As I added ~374 lbs of fresh water (likely less as I shut off when the "full" red pilot light lit up), I added maybe 225 lbs to my hitch weight. Seems like a lot. My GVWR on the Tundra is 7100 lbs, it weighed 7000 lbs with the trailer hitched (tanks empty) so if I fill my fresh water tank, should I expect the Tundra weight to be 7225 lbs which exceeds it's GVWR? Can I offset this by loading some weighty things in the back of the trailer behind the axles?

3. I have two dogs - a yellow lab and an irish setter/golden retriever mix. They weigh about 60 lbs each and I intend to take them with us....do they need to go on a diet? Why are these pics rotating when I attach them?

Buckaroo
    Attachment 22000
    What is the GVWR of your Tundra? GCWR? What does the sticker say (on the inside of your driver's door jamb) for payload available?

According to a site I found these are your truck's numbers--are they right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toyota Numbers.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	22001
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GVWR on the Tundra is 7,100 lbs and the GCWR 15,360 lbs. The sticker says that combined weight of cargo & passengers should not exceed 1305 lbs. There is a sticker indicating a deduct of ~50 lbs for post manufacture added gizmos. I have added some AMP Research Power Steps and an Excel Tri Fold Bed Cover - maybe around 100 lbs total. I know the weight distributing hitch is worth about 100 lb....no getting around that. I carry some recovery equipment worth about 100 lbs or so as well but could ditch that when camping. If I am thinking about this right, based on the CAT scale results, it seems I have an extra 1,640 lbs on the GCWR but only 100 lbs on the Tundra GVWR. Hence my concern with the hitch weight.

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-15-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....do they need to go on a diet? Why are these pics rotating when I attach them?
    Reader's Digest answer: yes. (kidding)

For the pics...common problem. Do a search for "rotate picture" and there's lots of threads depending if you're on an Apple, Tapatalk, or Windows.

For your truck...I stopped giving any definitive recommendation when it comes to tow vehicles and GVWR issues. What I do is point individuals to a comprehensive post in the Reference Library, How to Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability I put the post together gathering the best this forum has to offer. You'll also see a linked thread where all sides of the "GVWR" debate is argued. It is up to YOU to determine what is safe for you and your family based on the research and number crunching.

Here's what I see when I punch your numbers into my home-grown spreadsheet (exactly what you determined). I checked and double-checked so I hope I didn't mess up transcribing anything.:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckaroo.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	22002

One number that definitely alarms me is the 9.2% tongue weight--that's not enough IMO. Your trailer may be susceptible to sway with the tongue that relatively light. 12% is about the sweet spot in most cases.

Given that weight is not added (trailer still weighs 7400) unfortunately that means you'll move more weight from the trailer's axles to the Toyota's rear axles. That puts you over the truck's GVWR and it will likely pull up the front end making it lighter. When the front end is too light it feels like the truck is "skating"--not a fun feeling. Your braking power is also potentially reduced with a light front end.

For your question regarding "which tongue weight is right" the answer is the 680lbs. What you weigh without the influence of the WDH is (almost) meaningless IMO. Look again at the spreadsheet I posted earlier--my tongue weight changed every time I manipulated the linkage on my Blue Ox. I can't measure that change with a Sherline scale. The Sherline would be great for a non-WDH setup but that's about it.

If you really want to make your head spin read this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...eveling-My-Rig

Some may say I went way too far in the weeds, but I wanted to know my setup was as good as possible.

Hope some of this helps...

-Howard

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GVWR on the Tundra is 7,100 lbs and the GCWR 15,360 lbs. The sticker says that combined weight of cargo & passengers should not exceed 1305 lbs. There is a sticker indicating a deduct of ~50 lbs for post manufacture added gizmos. I have added some AMP Research Power Steps and an Excel Tri Fold Bed Cover - maybe around 100 lbs total. I know the weight distributing hitch is worth about 100 lb....no getting around that. I carry some recovery equipment worth about 100 lbs or so as well but could ditch that when camping. If I am thinking about this right, based on the CAT scale results, it seems I have an extra 1,640 lbs on the GCWR but only 100 lbs on the Tundra GVWR. Hence my concern with the hitch weight.

Buckaroo
    OK, the GCWR numbers leave plenty of room in that department (which is typical). As all truck owners come to learn, the limitation is their truck's payload. As a card-carrying member of this forum's TwoTimeTV Club (not a real thing...maybe) I can attest to learning the hard way.

Click on my username, click view profile and look at my profile picture. My beautiful, brand new 2017 F-250 <sniff> got traded for a used 2017 DRW for this exact reason. Note that I carry a 1,000lb Goldwing in my truck bed and have a super-nose-heavy 315RLTS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard - Thanks for the input. Before I bought the 2670mk I knew I was right on the edge so now I need to figure out how to optimize it with loading. From your perusal of the numbers, does the WD Hitch seem set up correctly? They installed it at the dealership and I have not messed with it although am ready to tweak it if needed. The front axle weight went from 3520 to 3440 lbs when hitched. I checked the front end height as indicated in the manual and it seemed about right.....need for further adjustment indicated? Do you think I am ok with the 1,000/10,000 lb Equalizer model or need to go to the 1,200/12,000 lb model? I think you are saying "load it up and check it again", right? I don't intend to carry water much and, if so, not all that far.

If we ignore all my static hitch weight work (which I was quite proud of, by the way), based on the CAT data, we are looking at 6720 lb trailer axle weight vs a 680 lb hitch weight which is 10.1%. Or do I add the axle weight to the 680 lbs for a total weight of 7400 lbs and the 680 is 9.2%. That is your calculation, right? As my wife told me, I have put more thought into this than 99% of the people.....seems to be splitting hairs and likely need to just drive it. Will provide update if I make it back alive! Thanks, again!

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 08-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard - Thanks for the input. Before I bought the 2670mk I knew I was right on the edge so now I need to figure out how to optimize it with loading. From your perusal of the numbers, does the WD Hitch seem set up correctly? They installed it at the dealership and I have not messed with it although am ready to tweak it if needed. The front axle weight went from 3520 to 3440 lbs when hitched. I checked the front end height as indicated in the manual and it seemed about right.....need for further adjustment indicated? Do you think I am ok with the 1,000/10,000 lb Equalizer model or need to go to the 1,200/12,000 lb model? I think you are saying "load it up and check it again", right? I don't intend to carry water much and, if so, not all that far.

If we ignore all my static hitch weight work (which I was quite proud of, by the way), based on the CAT data, we are looking at 6720 lb trailer axle weight vs a 680 lb hitch weight which is 10.1%. Or do I add the axle weight to the 680 lbs for a total weight of 7400 lbs and the 680 is 9.2%. That is your calculation, right? As my wife told me, I have put more thought into this than 99% of the people.....seems to be splitting hairs and likely need to just drive it. Will provide update if I make it back alive! Thanks, again!

Buckaroo
    I think you'll find this group is mostly in that 1% club. What you'll see on the road (now that you're hyper-aware of all of this) will shock you. I've seen medium-sized trucks literally bending while towing large dual-axle trailers. The driver was totally relaxed rolling down the road without a care in the world. I stay as far away as possible.

According to https://www.weigh-safe.com/towing-sa...t-mrtruck-com/ , "...an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW)..." You're right on the lower end of that scale. But you're also limited by your truck's GVWR from getting more on the tongue. Me, myself, and I don't like being right on the edge. I'd drive myself crazy thinking about it, so I give myself plenty of margin.

You'll have to make your own decision what works for you based on frequency of towing, how far you tow, and the type of towing (speeds, roads, etc) you do. You'll know--very quickly--if your rig is squirrely. Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Dgxe584Ss Be very conscious of adding any weight behind the trailer's axles which might lower your tongue weight.

I can't speak to your Equalizer question--I have no experience whatsoever with that product. All I've used is the Blue Ox (and I've researched the Pro Pride and seen it).

Good luck--and please follow up and let the forum know how it went.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we ignore all my static hitch weight work (which I was quite proud of, by the way), based on the CAT data, we are looking at 6720 lb trailer axle weight vs a 680 lb hitch weight which is 10.1%. Or do I add the axle weight to the 680 lbs for a total weight of 7400 lbs and the 680 is 9.2%. That is your calculation, right?
    Sorry--didn't address all your questions. Yes, it's 9.2% If you measured the trailer on the CAT scale by itself (no truck) the total would be 7400lbs. When connected to the truck there's 6720 on the axles and 680 on the tongue. The percentage is derived from the gross vehicle weight. 680 is 9.2% of 7400.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I drove myself a bit crazy trying to dial in my Imagine 2400BH with my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. The last time I took the rig over the CAT scale it came out at 9.5% tongue weight. I thought something was way off till I looked at GD's specs for the 2400 and unloaded they say it has 505 tongue weight/5595 unloaded for a 9.0% tongue weight. So it is built to be less nose-heavy than typical trailers. I have a Husky Centerline WDH with sway control (similar to the Equalizer) and it's dialed in pretty tight.

I've started packing the basement pass through a little differently and we're adding more in storage under the front bed and cabinets over the headboard so we've added weight on the tongue, so if I weighed the rig today it would be closer to 10% I'm sure. But I've learned to trust the actual towing experience and the rig handles beautifully on the highway. There is slight "truck suck" when a semi passes quickly but in strong gusts its very stable - no white knuckles. We just got back from a trip to Northern Michigan, about a 425 mile tow one way. We took the Ohio Turnpike and I-75 and I kept the speed at 68 to 70 mph where the truck is most efficient and it was a very comfortable trip. We ran into strong headwinds the last 50 or 60 miles heading up to the campsite and other than reduced fuel mileage it wasn't an issue.

My point is to take the information you have, set up your hitch to keep your truck's front axle weight as close as possible to it's unloaded weight and load your trailer toward the nose and NOT behind the axles - and take it for a long drive. If you're comfortable then go with it; if you don't feel safe then a different tow vehicle may be the best choice. Your gut is very smart so go with what it's telling you.

My 2 cents...

Bob
    Last edited by Rovers; 08-15-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob - You and Howard have been a great help. I will keep the hitch weight close to 10% and hope to have the same experience as you. See you are from NE Ohio...our first trip will be to Westbranch this Sunday. We wanted to go to Cuyahoga Valley National Park as we have never been there.

thx,

Buckaroo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob - You and Howard have been a great help. I will keep the hitch weight close to 10% and hope to have the same experience as you. See you are from NE Ohio...our first trip will be to Westbranch this Sunday. We wanted to go to Cuyahoga National Park as we have never been there.

thx,

Buckaroo
    Terrific - West Branch is a beautiful state park about 45 minutes or so from the Cuyahog National Park. We live about 20 miles southwest of West Branch - we go there a couple times a year. Have fun and report back on your outing!

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast