User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep scratches on rear brake shoe

Just spent the day repacking bearing and replacing grease seals. I noticed some deep scratches in the rear brake shoe. What has caused this and do I need to replace them?? There is plenty of brake shoe material left it's just those deep scratches are questionable.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Just spent the day repacking bearing and replacing grease seals. I noticed some deep scratches in the rear brake shoe. What has caused this and do I need to replace them?? There is plenty of brake shoe material left it's just those deep scratches are questionable.
    Usually when this happens its because of dirt, dirty maintenance practices causes material to be trapped between the shoe and the drum and makes gouges and groves in the brake shoe lining. On an old assembly rust can get between the drum and brake shoe. Or something came loose with the brake hardware and got lodged between the shoe and the drum. I suppose a gouged drum surface or peeling brake lining can cause it as well.

If the drum looks ok and doesn't have deep scratches or groves its ok, As for the brake shoes it depends on how bad the scratches are. Normal scuffing and tiny scratches on the brake shoe is fine. If you have a deep wide gouge or groove that is not good. The brake hardware, backing plate and drum should be thoroughly cleaned before new brake shoes go on.

Just my .02
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel