User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 weeks into ownership and already looking at pin box upgrades.

Hello. New 5ver owner here. We just got back from our maiden voyage trip with our new Momentum 320G. We’re looking st reducing the chucking and bucking. I went with the Andersen Ultimate and have. 6.5 bed and with a few adjustments no issues thus far. I’ve been researching pin boxes. Looks like there are at least three brands and systems out there. Any recommendations. I had read on etrailer one of the Andersen rep told the etrailer folks to stay away from pin boxes that have play at the connection like the Lippert Rotoflex and Flexair because in the stress on the hitch connection.

Looking for experiences out there and recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reese Goosebox is popular. It should allow you to remove the Andersen all together and cost about the same as other upgraded pin boxes. You still get the in bed benefits of the gooseneck ball. As a bonus, the Goosebox is the ONLY gooseneck adapter allowed by LCI and GD that wont impact your frame warranty.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 weeks into ownership and already looking at pin box upgrades.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean regarding “remove the Andersen all together”? To clarify the Andersen Ultimate is a hitch not a pin box. I have the standard LCI. 1621 on my trailer. Also LCI makes their own line of suspension pin boxes. I looked at the TrailAir at the dealership. Care you saying LCI pin boxes void the LCI frame warranty?

Last edited by MooManChu; 08-15-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a standard pin box but do have the Airsafe air hitch. With a air bag at all 4 corners and a shock on either side it takes out up to 95% of the chucking and banging. Comfort ride hitch is another good one. They are sold at a lot of the rallys. Comfort ride doesn't use air bags but air cells so you are not having to add air to them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Thanks for the response. What do you mean regarding “remove the Andersen all together”?

The gooseneck fits directly onto the same ball mount that your Anderson probably does. Once you have the gooseneck ball and hitch installed, the Anderson is superfluous.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Thanks for the response. What do you mean regarding “remove the Andersen all together”? To clarify the Andersen Ultimate is a hitch not a pin box. I have the standard LCI. 1621 on my trailer. Also LCI makes their own line of suspension pin boxes. I looked at the TrailAir at the dealership. Care you saying LCI pin boxes void the LCI frame warranty?

The LCI pinboxes will not impact the warranty, your Andersen hitch does. Any gooseneck adapter is a red flag to LCI with the sole exception of the Reese Goosebox. The Goosebox is a replacement pinbox that reaches down all the way to the gooseneck ball itself. Effectively turning your fifth wheel trailer into a gooseneck trailer. The Goosebox is also nice because it has a pivoting head and airbag/shocks to help smooth out the ride and prevent the transfer of motion between the truck and trailer. It would be a drop in replacement for your 1621 pin box.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/p...aYyiDugK496K9F
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Reese Goosebox is popular. It should allow you to remove the Andersen all together and cost about the same as other upgraded pin boxes. You still get the in bed benefits of the gooseneck ball. As a bonus, the Goosebox is the ONLY gooseneck adapter allowed by LCI and GD that wont impact your frame warranty.
    The Andersen won’t impact your frame warranty either. They have to show that an aftermarket part or accessory caused a failure. They cannot make a blanket statement that a product affects your warranty. No engineer will testify in court that the forces from the Andersen are any different from a 5th wheel. The are just scare-mongering to help sell the product in which they have a financial interest.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The Andersen won’t impact your frame warranty either. They have to show that an aftermarket part or accessory caused a failure. They cannot make a blanket statement that a product affects your warranty. No engineer will testify in court that the forces from the Andersen are any different from a 5th wheel. The are just scare-mongering to help sell the product in which they have a financial interest.

Thanks, I tend to agree. I work with and have forensic engineers as colleagues and they always scoff when I bring up product liability. I'm not going to argue any point here since the topic is a slippery slope. I've been towing trailers for 20 years and never had nor met anyone that had to deal with a frame issue. Maybe im lucky..who knows..

I appreciate all feedback. However I have no plans of abandoning the hitch of which I have not even got the credit card bill yet. As I stated to open the thread, I just bought the trailer and hitch and need options for softening the chucking. Im good for the rest of the seasons (3-6 hour trips) however my 3 weeker I take in the early summer, I need a strategy. There are at least 6 different brands/models that fit my 1621 setup and wanted feedback from owners. The previous poster does bring up a really good point. If I spend a grand for the cushioned pin box, that's the same dollars I could spend on the 5ver gooseneck setup he has and ditch the Andersen on ebay and I actually might come out 500 bucks ahead. all good advice here. The warranty stuff, hell, my GD dealer doesn't even carry Andersens because quote "all the lawsuits". Nope. the real reason is the camping world 2 miles a way undercuts their accessory markups. So. Yeah. Lots of BS out there to sift through.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 08-16-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few ways to reduce chucking and bucking. Since you haven't mentioned your TV suspension, if you add air bags they tend to dampen some of the hitch action. After that, you are looking into different hitches on the trailer that include air bags or shocks or both. That was the reason the Reese goosebox hitch was brought up. If you were to buy one, then the cash recovery on selling your Anderson would cover most of the costs.

If not, then you are looking at the cost of a new hitch or airbags on your truck or both. We found that air bags on our truck and our stock Rotoflex hitch (which I believe you have as well) is a fairly smooth ride.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If there ever was need for a warranty claim (and the frame would pretty much be the most expensive one possible - you do see stories somewhat often of cracked side walls up front due to frame issues), the use of a hitch you know they don't approve of would give them ammo to deny a claim. It would not inherently cause damage, but the burden of proving it did NOT would be on you and Andersen, NOT LCI.

I think if you are looking at spending another $1000-$1200 on a new pin box any ways, spend that same money and get the Goosebox and be done with it all. Sell the Andersen, someone will love to have it, and be on your way with an even cleaner and simpler setup that should also work very well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast