User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like Ironfox - late to the game. Just the same - here is my opinion...

It's often hard to tell chucking from bobbing (or proposing). I consider them practically the same. That Lippert video doesn't do chucking justice - they make you think you have to hit a pot hole to cause chucking. Actually transitions to/from bridges, and joints in road sections can cause it too. Whereas I think the proposing/bobbing comes into play when you hit undulations in the road (you know - frost heavy like bumps). But I also think undulations can have some chucking effect. Like I said - hard to tell one from the other a lot of times.

anyhow.... here is where I am going with all this...

With a short bed truck there aren't as many options for those with long beds. The long bed guys don't worry about hitting the cab so don't need or use sliders (manual or automatic). So they get to choose hitches with air ride assistance which, if I had a long bed, I would use.

So those of us with short beds, and with our fewer choices, have to deal with cushioning out chucking and bobbing in less effective ways. Many folks swear by the Anderson and goose box. I don't lean that way. Goosenecks are made for farm vehicles that need a great amount of maneuverability and aren't so concerned with the "ride". Over the road vehicles use conventional fifth wheel hitches - ala semis. The reason is ride quality. Anderson just makes a compromise trading taking up bed space when installed with weight saving to folks can easily remove them when not needed.

OK - so now I've started a firestorm. Sorry to you folks with goosenecks and Andersons. I know, I know, its about the weight. Everytime I read about the Anderson or gooseneck it's about the weight savings of the hitch. If that's a concern then get a truck that can handle the weight of a typical fifth wheel hitch (and now I've added fuel to the firestorm I started). And one more thing about the Anderson - doesn't reversing it to get more RV to cab clearance actually move the hitch point backwards? Maybe even behind the rear axel? Isn't that a less desirable position for the pin weight that actually removes weight from the front end causing, here we go again, more weight on the rear axel, the very thing folks are trying to avoid?

Back to the OP's concern - chucking..... I doubt you'll find a pin box that is going to work with your Anderson hitch. With conventional fifth wheel hitches you could go with an air ride hitch, MorRyde, RotoFlex and others that help reduce some of the chucking/bobbing. So maybe add some air bags to help. If you do, get one with a remote adjustment system so you can adjust it while driving. It helps me a lot on different (bad) roads (of which there are plenty in every state).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 weeks into ownership and already looking at pin box upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm like Ironfox - late to the game. Just the same - here is my opinion...

It's often hard to tell chucking from bobbing (or proposing). I consider them practically the same. That Lippert video doesn't do chucking justice - they make you think you have to hit a pot hole to cause chucking. Actually transitions to/from bridges, and joints in road sections can cause it too. Whereas I think the proposing/bobbing comes into play when you hit undulations in the road (you know - frost heavy like bumps). But I also think undulations can have some chucking effect. Like I said - hard to tell one from the other a lot of times.

anyhow.... here is where I am going with all this...

With a short bed truck there aren't as many options for those with long beds. The long bed guys don't worry about hitting the cab so don't need or use sliders (manual or automatic). So they get to choose hitches with air ride assistance which, if I had a long bed, I would use.

So those of us with short beds, and with our fewer choices, have to deal with cushioning out chucking and bobbing in less effective ways. Many folks swear by the Anderson and goose box. I don't lean that way. Goosenecks are made for farm vehicles that need a great amount of maneuverability and aren't so concerned with the "ride". Over the road vehicles use conventional fifth wheel hitches - ala semis. The reason is ride quality. Anderson just makes a compromise trading taking up bed space when installed with weight saving to folks can easily remove them when not needed.

OK - so now I've started a firestorm. Sorry to you folks with goosenecks and Andersons. I know, I know, its about the weight. Everytime I read about the Anderson or gooseneck it's about the weight savings of the hitch. If that's a concern then get a truck that can handle the weight of a typical fifth wheel hitch (and now I've added fuel to the firestorm I started). And one more thing about the Anderson - doesn't reversing it to get more RV to cab clearance actually move the hitch point backwards? Maybe even behind the rear axel? Isn't that a less desirable position for the pin weight that actually removes weight from the front end causing, here we go again, more weight on the rear axel, the very thing folks are trying to avoid?

Back to the OP's concern - chucking..... I doubt you'll find a pin box that is going to work with your Anderson hitch. With conventional fifth wheel hitches you could go with an air ride hitch, MorRyde, RotoFlex and others that help reduce some of the chucking/bobbing. So maybe add some air bags to help. If you do, get one with a remote adjustment system so you can adjust it while driving. It helps me a lot on different (bad) roads (of which there are plenty in every state).
    Thanks. Food for thought. I agree. road feedback is hard to discern in a 1 ton truck. Also comfort is subjective.

I as well as others need both the versatility And also another benefit rail clearance the AUH provides. I liked the concept of ditching the AUH for a simple gooseneck setup. Some if not most of the goosenecks (ditching the AUH) others recommended will cause me side rail clearance issues. Im unique in that I have a retracting metal rolling tonneau with an integrated rack. I’ve already sheered a crossbar mount so even with the AUH/OEM Gooseneck it’s too close for comfort.

I already have airbags with remote and it helps on the rear for sure. Andersen provided me a list of acceptable goosenecks that have suspension features. The tech told me the issue is any gooseneck that has the rubber bushing that allows the receiver head to pivot laterally will stress the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MooManChu; 09-18-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as a datapoint on bed rail clearance, my 2019 GMC 3500HD has no issues with my GooseBox 2nd gen, I can go to 90 degrees (pretty much until the cab hits the trailer).

As for the argument about 5th wheel vs gooseneck and it being for farm equipment, I utterly fail to see how that has any merit, both typically comprise a hitching system that is solid all the way through without any shock absorbing elements so they would ride comparably. There is no reason they would not ride comparably for both the truck, AND the trailer. I actually LIKE the gooseneck more because the attachment point is lower to the ground (truck bed height instead of at the top of a hitch) which reduces the lever exerting force on the truck.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Air Safe hitch and have had it since we bought our 303 back in 2014. We really like it as it takes out up to 95% of the chucking and banging. Our first truck was a short bed. Never had a problem with that combination. We didn't have a slider either but it was a Ford which is longer than anyone else. We go to state parks and national forest campgrounds. We have had plenty of tight turns and turns that were not very level. With being concerned about contact because of the short bed check out Air Safe, they do have sliding air hitches too. They even have air hitches for tt trailers also.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-18-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Thanks. Food for thought. I agree. road feedback is hard to discern in a 1 ton truck. Also comfort is subjective.

I as well as others need both the versatility And also another benefit rail clearance the AUH provides. I liked the concept of ditching the AUH for a simple gooseneck setup. Some if not most of the goosenecks (ditching the AUH) others recommended will cause me side rail clearance issues. Im unique in that I have a retracting metal rolling tonneau with an integrated rack. I’ve already sheered a crossbar mount so even with the AUH/OEM Gooseneck it’s too close for comfort.

I already have airbags with remote and it helps on the rear for sure. Andersen provided me a list of acceptable goosenecks that have suspension features. The tech told me the issue is any gooseneck that has the rubber bushing that allows the receiver head to pivot laterally will stress the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just for clarification are you using gooseneck and pin box interchangeably as in "AUH/OEM Gooseneck" ? That could be confusing to some reading.

As you can see pretty much everyone thinks their option is the best option and it probably is for them. But everyone's circumstances are different. I use the Goosebox but can easily come up with circumstances that would push me back to either a Andersen or traditional hitch. I've pulled with each of the three styles for thousands of miles (traditional and goosebox on my trailer and borrowing one with an Andersen for a trip to Canada and other smaller stints). For me now an easy clean bed is king for which the Goosebox is the best. Both my brother and my dad use an Andersen. My dad is on his second, he gifted his first to my brother when he got his first 5th wheel and if he didn't like it it was the perfect time to go back to a traditional. And they both run dually's and my dads never comes out so he could careless if the hitch weighs 50 pounds or 500 pounds.

I would wager that most of the people using either the Andersen or Goosebox have come from a traditional hitch, how many have or would go back? For me it may be for a slider or sidewinder style pin box if I went to a short bed or possibly for an extremely heavy trailer that outstripped the Goosebox or Andersen capabilities. Other than that I'm all in on the Goosebox regardless of if I have a SRW or 450 dually. It has built in suspension, a clean bed when unhooked, and ran significantly smoother than the curt 5th wheel hitch and rota flex pin box I started with.

I wrote this novel in another thread that you may have read so I wont repeat it here and it really isn't the point of this thread.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post246730

To your original question, since Andersen has given you an approved list of suspension style pin boxes I would narrow my search to people who have those and see what they think. I doubt whether they're attached to an Andersen or conventional hitch will matter much on how smooth they ride though that is just a guess. But every combo is different so their experience may not match your own. My dad ran a trail air for 5 years on his Anderson and was happy.

You mention clearance issues, for what its worth, here are a few pics I took for someone with my truck at full 90 with my Goosebox

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	22701

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	22703

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	22704
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 09-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234