User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind KF1000 WiFi Antenna

Supposed to say King, not sure how to change a topic title

Has anyone tried one of these WiFi antennas? Our King TV antenna seems to work pretty well. Thoughts?

Many campgrounds have wifi, but the signal is too weak to be of much use. It seems like this would be a neat addition, and has some good reviews on Amazon, but not cheap.

Jim
    Last edited by jh.xsnrg; 08-15-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Kind = King
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is that even with good signal strength, the WiFi at most campgrounds is still terrible because of lack of bandwidth.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    Supposed to say King, not sure how to change a topic title
    Hmm. I thought it was done by using the "Thread Tools" link at the top of the thread but I just tried to change the title of an old thread I started and it won't let me. Won't let me edit the original post either; maybe because it's been there a while. Maybe a moderator will jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    Many campgrounds have wifi, but the signal is too weak to be of much use. It seems like this would be a neat addition, and has some good reviews on Amazon, but not cheap.
    I'll repeat what @jkwilson has said because it bears repeating: campground wi-fi is almost never satisfactory for any but the lightest internet uses.

I invested in high-quality antennas (two) and routers to maximize wi-fi performance in campgrounds. It probably gave me better performance than some other campers were getting but it still truly SUCKED most of the time, especially during peak times in morning and evening when everyone else was on the air too. I decided that there were two options.

The first was to subscribe to one of the carriers that claims to provide near-NATIONAL wi-fi coverage. Xfinity is one of them, there are others. With my high-end wifi system I could often SEE signals from these providers in a campground because they frequently leverage the equipment they've provided to their other customers to provide wifi to other nearby subscribers. I could see it but not use it - password-secured and I wasn't a subscriber - and significantly it was weak or not available in some campgrounds so I didn't go this way.

I therefore despite my inve$$$tment in wifi decided to follow others in this forum who use cellular service to connect to the internet. A small "MIFI" device and a monthly data plan ranging up to unlimited data can be purchased from some carriers. Verizon is one... after some startup hiccups we found their coverage in the southeast U.S. to be pretty good and had fast data service for up to fifteen devices (phones, pads, computers) through it. Other carriers are in that game too. It's not cheap, but we've found the internet MUCH more reliable and fast than we did in months of experimentation with good wi-fi equipment.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used the King WiFiMax booster for about a year now. It's pretty much met my expectations. That was to simply boost weak signals. As others have said, there is nothing you can do on your end of things to increase bandwidth. If internet slows down because of too many users, I either switch to cell data or go do something else.