Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fireplace removal, Solitude

I want to remove the fireplace so I can make some adjustments to the televator assembly (installed new smart Samsung TV on televator but the TV leans backwards a bit. I want to remove the screws holding the televator base to the floor and move it back a bit to straighten the TV).

Looked at installation instructions for the fireplace and it appears that two screws at the top corners need to be removed to remove the glass front frame. However, it seems Grand Design added a trim piece at the top of the fireplace that completely blocks those screws.

Has anyone had the fireplace out and what did you do? Were the top frame screws accessible?
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine had a trim price that went around the front that popped up and came off. Then had 4 screws after that the whole unit came out as a whole then unplug it. Replaced mine under warranty, they mailed one to me and I replaced it. I think yours is the name as mine.

Edit: sorry Kirby but I just looked up your fireplace and it is different from mine sorry someone will chime in.
    Last edited by Mister B; 08-15-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    2018 GD Reflection 297RSTS
    2013 F150 https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...-counting.html
    2017 Jeep Grande Cherokee

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an idea.. when you make the adjustment, maybe tilt the TV a bit toward the front (top out more than the bottom). I'm thinking of doing that with mine after this season's travels to reduce the glare a bit from the windows across from the TV.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-04-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Just and idea.. when you make the adjustment, maybe tilt the TV a bit toward the front (top out more than the bottom). I'm thinking of doing that with mine after this season's travels to reduce the glare a bit from the windows across from the TV.
    I came to the same conclusion after thinking over several options. I'm going to remove the top screws and put spacers between the metal bracket and top mounting holes on the TV. That will bring the top out some. I really don't want to pry that trim piece off the mantle to get to the fireplace frame screws. It was pretty dumb of the GD crew to do that since it will have to be done if the fireplace ever needs to be replaced.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    It was pretty dumb of the GD crew to do that since it will have to be done if the fireplace ever needs to be replaced.
    I've encountered several things now that were put together with complete disregard for the fact that they might some day have to be opened up for repairs / maintenance / upgrades.

My especially-frustrating one is near your current project - our junk factory radio is in the *center* cabinet of three cabinets over the TV and much of the wiring in there (or that I'd like to add in there) disappears into impossibly difficult hidden spaces. It looks to me as though significant dismantling of the cabinets and the wall are necessary to permanently upgrade entertainment equipment and wiring, or to add communications equipment I'd like to put in there.

As a result I have stuff piled up in other cabinets building up heat, and wires and cables sticking out and running everywhere. It would be SO simple to design and build that area with some forethought about what people in the 21st century might want to do to improve on the junk factory entertainment system and add other types of electronic equipment. Some planned conduits and raceways, some labeling of existing systems, some easily-removed panels... it really would not take much!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have to remove my fireplace as well as the televator does not work and may be the motor? Has anyone experienced this type of motor failure? Thank you
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    I want to remove the fireplace so I can make some adjustments to the televator assembly (installed new smart Samsung TV on televator but the TV leans backwards a bit. I want to remove the screws holding the televator base to the floor and move it back a bit to straighten the TV).

Looked at installation instructions for the fireplace and it appears that two screws at the top corners need to be removed to remove the glass front frame. However, it seems Grand Design added a trim piece at the top of the fireplace that completely blocks those screws.

Has anyone had the fireplace out and what did you do? Were the top frame screws accessible?
    Not sure what fireplace you have but ours has the Twin Star. It has a trim piece right above it blocking access to those 2 screws. Fortunately is is just held on with pin nails. It should pop off fairly easily. When I replaced mine I used 2 regular screws with the heads pained black.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Greystone fireplace has 4 screws behind a face plate that lifts up then off. Easy job.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tekevator is not working. Has anyone manually raised the television as I would like to leave it raised until I get a new motor for the televator
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    My tekevator is not working. Has anyone manually raised the television as I would like to leave it raised until I get a new motor for the televator
    You could try pulling the shaft out of the motor and manually raising the TV. Or maybe there is a connection behind the TV you can get to and disengage the threaded rod that raises and lowers the TV. All this sounds a bit sketch, but it might be worth a try.

Maybe just unmount to TV from the televator if you can get behind the TV. All you would need to do is loosen the 4 screws holding the TV to the mechanism.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast