User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel or class A

We are considering switching from a 5th wheel to an A class. We've been on the rode for a couple of months and have had the pin box fail, moldings on top of the slide out fall off on to the dining room table and recliners, and a brake failure on a Dexter axle. Due to health issues from time to time an A class allows access to bed, recliners and bathrooms without stopping. We have about 10K miles on our 310GK but looking for a rest area or pulling over when you can barely walk may force us to consider a RV alternative. Any pros and cons from those that may have switched from A class RVs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll share my experience with you.

I started with a 30' travel trailer, no slides, master bedroom in the front, giant bathroom in the back, great trailer and nice floorplan.

We thought that was too big so we traded it in on a 20' travel trailer. Tiny bathroom, bed pushed up against the wall on 3 sides was impossible to make, a lot of compromise from that downsize.

Flew to Alaska and rented a 22' class C to drive around in for 2 weeks. Got home and started the search for a motorhome. Ended up in a 26' Safari Trek. Fantastic floor plan! Workhorse chassis was loud, hot engine cover between the driver and passenger, handled like crap, stopped like it was on grease, but that 8.1 liter V8 was like a dragster.

Made the mistake and did a diesel pusher test drive at an RV show, and, boom, we're shopping for a DP. This was all in the span of like 3 years! Fell in love with a Phaeton and ordered a new one from the factory. Had that RV for 12 years and it served us well, including an 8 month trip around North America.

Dear wife decided we'd RV more if we had something smaller and we're back on the hunt. Purchased a 1 year old 30' Itasca class A gasser, took a couple of trips and HATED it. We were expecting it to be loud, but had forgot how irritating it was shouting at each over. The Ford chassis handled and stopped well, and the engine had plenty of power, but the furniture was uncomfortable, and the flow just didn't work for us.

After 6 months in the Itasca we had it and started the search for something else. I didn't want to spend the money on another DP, and the AZ vehicle license tax would have been obscene. Decided to try a 5'er and picked the 310GK. We love the floorplan and the flow. I don't have to get the oil changed (although there's plenty of other regular maintenance items). And, 5'ers are probably the best value and most efficient use of space. I love the truck I had to purchase to tow the rig which I drive every day. And, towing the 5er is a dream. At 13'6", you do have to pay more attention to overhead obstructions. All my motorhomes were 12'6" and the travel trailers were even lower than that.

I would say that the diesel pusher was my favorite though, for most of the reasons you listed. If money were no object, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I'm not in that position, so I'll stick with my Solitude.

Terry
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2017 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4, SRW, Cummins 6.7
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Oth...dStatesMap.gif

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been discussed a LOT over on the Escapees and Good Sam's forums. You might want to search and read those two resources.

That said, as full-timers, we have talked with several couples who have moved from fifth wheels to class As (diesel pushers) or vice versa. One couple had even switched back and fourth three or four times - each switch driven by family circumstances and travel modalities. That lady said that her main regret going from a fifth wheel to a class A was the loss of storage space. A good class A DP can also cost two to four times what a good fifth wheel would cost... but then you have the cost of a truck to pull the fifth wheel. We are friends with one couple who full-time in a class A gasser, and they do it because that's what they can afford. I think they would prefer a DP if money weren't an issue. This aligns with what Terry said above.

Finally, if you have a power train issue with a truck and a fifth wheel, the truck goes in the shop and you still have a house to live in. If you have power train problems with a motorhome, you either find a mobile tech (if the issues can be handled on site) or your home goes into the shop and you find someplace to stay.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you move often, a class A has some advantages. If you spend more than 30 days in one spot, I believe fifth wheels have the advantage.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we started RVing, we had TT's. OK for weekend trips and annual week or two vacation.

When we got older and could take more time off for road trips, we got a gas class A but quickly traded for a 36' DP. Loved the DP and 8 years later traded it for a 42' tag axle DP. Traveled all over the USA for 6 years before selling it and getting the 5th wheel we now have.

IMO, the class A is much better for travel on longer trips. DW could go to bathroom while we are moving, get snacks, etc. Plenty of storage (more than most 5th wheels). Very easy to set up when you stop....park, hit the level button, deploy slides, hook up utilities if you like, run generator and stay inside if you are Wally-docking overnight. Unhook toad only if you need it or have to due to site length.

5th wheel of same/similar length as class A has more living space. We are now on a permanent site and 5th wheel is obviously a better choice and I think a better choice if you drive to a spot and stay there for long periods.

If we were to get the wanderlust again, I would get a get a used, mid size class A again.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, this really helps you've covered all bases!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    good post. nobody mentioned about having to tow a smaller vehicle behind the class a and if you have a flat tire on a class a can you change it roadside? my wife likes the pro's with a class a such as using the bathroom, eating, etc while traveling. there are pro's and con's to each style. you have to pick the one that has the most pro's for your situation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HankCharp View Post
    We are considering switching from a 5th wheel to an A class. We've been on the rode for a couple of months and have had the pin box fail, moldings on top of the slide out fall off on to the dining room table and recliners, and a brake failure on a Dexter axle. Due to health issues from time to time an A class allows access to bed, recliners and bathrooms without stopping. We have about 10K miles on our 310GK but looking for a rest area or pulling over when you can barely walk may force us to consider a RV alternative. Any pros and cons from those that may have switched from A class RVs?
    there are issues with class a's too. don't make a big decision based on a few issues. what happened to you pin box? airbag?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trailers are far far safer while traveling, which is the main reason we went that route.
    Anyone that moves around inside any kind of RV while traveling at 65 mph doesn’t have a firm grasp on physics.
    Most class A we looked at are death traps in a crash especially a rollover.
    I’ll stick with my crash-tested 10 airbag truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast