User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stove top lighting, Radio kill switch mods

Moderator edit.... merged duplicate posts and deleted first thread as duplicate. What I should have done was to delete one of the initial posts and left only one. (pardon my dust - still learning).....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 08-17-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: duplicate post and duplicate entries
    2007 GMC 3500 crew cab dually (classic)
    6.6 Duramax 6 speed Allison with Banks Economind Tuner
    stainless 4" exhaust.
    2017 Grand Design Reflections 303 RLS.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stove top lighting, Radio kill switch mods

After having some battery issues which now have been resolved. I decided I needed to do the following. When dry camping when cooking on the stove I had to turn on the main house lights to see what I was doing while cooking. For those of you who have the convection microwave combo and not the old hood fan with a 12 volt light option. So I installed a 12v led pancake light to be used when not plugged in. It really lights up my stove top with out all the house lights on saves on battery drain.

What I did because the radio is on all the time, another drain on the batteries. I installed a shut off switch to turn it completely off when I don't use it and while in storage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190815_195435.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	22006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190815_195424.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	22007
    Last edited by wrongwayrver; 08-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    2007 GMC 3500 crew cab dually (classic)
    6.6 Duramax 6 speed Allison with Banks Economind Tuner
    stainless 4" exhaust.
    2017 Grand Design Reflections 303 RLS.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrongwayrver... Hopefully I did what you intended. Fixed your post so there was only one - the one with the better text and photo placement. I'll send you a PM too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give details on how you did the radio shut off mod?

We have a Reflection 287 rlts and have not figured out how to get to the back of the radio!

Any info would be helpful!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi poppyandnana

The faceplate on the radio should pop off exposing 4 screws holding the radio on. Pull the radio out and unplug any cables from the radio and set it aside. The power source from what I remember has main power and memory set of wires they are labled. What I did is connect via extra length of wire to a toggle switch. From the other side of the toggle switch I reconnected back to the connecter on the back of the radio. Only reason I used extra wire was just to make it easier to work with. Just keep in mind when doing this if you have radio presets they will be lost when toggle is off. Hope that helps

Randy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too miss the 12 volt light above the stove in our 230RL. I am trying to figure out where the led light is placed under the microwave and where were you able to tap into 12 volts?

Thanks!

John
    Last edited by JohnJCES; 10-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJCES View Post
    We too miss the 12 volt light above the stove in our 230RL. I am trying to figure out where the led light is placed under the microwave and where were you able to tap into 12 volts?

Thanks!

John
    Hi John
    If you have the same micowave convection oven like I do you can drop the lower pan of the micowave 6 or 8 screws can't remember exactly. In between the 2 hologen lights there is a large open space. I centred the small pancake led light with built in switch 3 mounting screws in between the halogens. I drilled a 1/2 hole through the lower pan at the back right up as high as you can so you don't see the hole when reinstalled. Then I drilled a hole directly across from the underpan into the wall. If you pull the outer lower fridge cover you should see the white romax cable running to the outlet on the fridge wall. There is a space to fish wire down to the 12 volt fridge power which I used to power the light. I ran red for power black for ground to keep it simple used 6' of wire to make sure I didn't come up short. Due to the sharp metal in the underpan and through the drilled hole I used split lume to protect the wire. It's pretty easy to do just take your time map it out.

Randy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Randy! That helps a lot. I have a 230RL and will have to find 12 volts elsewhere as the fridge is on the opposite wall but I know it is close by!!

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year is your trailer? I looked at some pictures of your model online but it showed the old hood fan set up but not the convection model. If the floor plan is the same as the pictures I saw the radio tv area cabinet should have 12 volt access behind the radio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 2020. And yes, that is sort of what I was figuring.

Thanks!!

John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]