Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at new 367BHS

New member here. I currently have a Forest River XLR 29HFS toy hauler and am looking to sell my current and purchase a 367 BHS. The wife and I have been riding motorcycles for many years and we are at the point of not hauling them around and just traveling with a fifth wheel. My question is the practical hitch weight of a typically loaded unit. My current TV is a 2016 F 250 diesel and as we all know the payload on these are an issue when towing a fifth wheel. I am just looking for someone with experience in towing and weighing the 367. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 367 BHS. Real world weights loaded, ready to camp

Pin Weight 3060
    Trailer weight 13880

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 SRW. I am currently 20 lbs OVER my payload, but 380lbs UNDER my rear Axle weight ratings.

the 367 BHS is a heavy trailer. I don't think it a 3/4 ton is adequate, but if you can stay under axle weight ratings, to some of us, that's the critical component.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I have always thought for a starting point was taking the GVWR of the trailer and multiplying that by 22% to figure out what the pin weight could be and match that against the sticker on your truck. GVWR of the 367 is 14995. 22% of that would be 3298. Now that is what the max should be. You could stay under that by watching the weight and how much you load in it. Play with the numbers to see if you could make it work. Remember though hitch passengers and anything in the truck also goes against those numbers.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I have a 2019 367 BHS. Real world weights loaded, ready to camp

Pin Weight 3060
    Trailer weight 13880

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 SRW. I am currently 20 lbs OVER my payload, but 380lbs UNDER my rear Axle weight ratings.

the 367 BHS is a heavy trailer. I don't think it a 3/4 ton is adequate, but if you can stay under axle weight ratings, to some of us, that's the critical component.
    I'm like you I worry more about axle rating. I really don't want to purchase a new truck but I would probably exceed my axle rating if the hitch is over 2,600 lbs. My current TV fully loaded and ready to go has 1,500 lbs. reserve on the rear axle and has a hitch weight of 1,300 lbs. Current GCWR at the scales is 19,000 pounds so I have a reserve of 4,500 lbs on that. All of these weights were verified on certified scales. The reason I was looking at the 367 is for my wife to have a quilting/sewing room all to her own. She now has a 10 foot garage in our toy hauler while we winter in Alabama. Not sure how you load but do you have a lot of weight in the front storage and possibly have a generator? Thanks for the reply and info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    What I have always thought for a starting point was taking the GVWR of the trailer and multiplying that by 22% to figure out what the pin weight could be and match that against the sticker on your truck. GVWR of the 367 is 14995. 22% of that would be 3298. Now that is what the max should be. You could stay under that by watching the weight and how much you load in it. Play with the numbers to see if you could make it work. Remember though hitch passengers and anything in the truck also goes against those numbers.
    I agree with you about the 22% calculation. Since I have a toy hauler I know loading has a lot to do with hitch weight. I have two motorcycles in the back (1,400 lbs.) and have to load for hitch weight to reduce sway. I can handle approximately 2,600 pin weight to stay under axle rating but as this has been debated many times the F250 has the same axles as the F350 with 1,000 lbs less rating because of the overload spring. Thanks for the reply

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom1950 View Post
    New member here. I currently have a Forest River XLR 29HFS toy hauler and am looking to sell my current and purchase a 367 BHS. The wife and I have been riding motorcycles for many years and we are at the point of not hauling them around and just traveling with a fifth wheel. My question is the practical hitch weight of a typically loaded unit. My current TV is a 2016 F 250 diesel and as we all know the payload on these are an issue when towing a fifth wheel. I am just looking for someone with experience in towing and weighing the 367. Thanks in advance. Gary
    I haven't done the math myself on our 310GK / F-350 SRW combination because others have and they say they're pretty close to limits.

Since we load unusually-lightly I'm not concerned, but am writing to tell you that towing a trailer that heavily-loads your truck is often an unpleasant experience. I especially hate bucking and thumping like a rodeo horse over some bumps and many bridge transitions.

I've been thinking about getting more truck, and I'm closer to the zone by quite a bit than you would be with the 367BHS / F-250 combination you're considering. If pushing the limits doesn't deter you from your plan for safety / wear / breakage reasons then consider it from the comfort angle and get more truck.

Just an internet opinion worth what you paid for it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I haven't done the math myself on our 310GK / F-350 SRW combination because others have and they say they're pretty close to limits.

Since we load unusually-lightly I'm not concerned, but am writing to tell you that towing a trailer that heavily-loads your truck is often an unpleasant experience. I especially hate bucking and thumping like a rodeo horse over some bumps and many bridge transitions.

I've been thinking about getting more truck, and I'm closer to the zone by quite a bit than you would be with the 367BHS / F-250 combination you're considering. If pushing the limits doesn't deter you from your plan for safety / wear / breakage reasons then consider it from the comfort angle and get more truck.

Just an internet opinion worth what you paid for it.
    Thanks for your reply. The reason I am here is to ask questions and get answers from the knowledgeable members here. I have never owned a 5th wheel but I do realize that the truck will be overloaded in the legal sense. If I decided to go short term with is this camper I would probably upgrade to a larger truck in a couple of years. The truck I really want has a msrp of almost $80,000 but what I have is paid for and not an easy decision to trade right now.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zoom

I have 400lbs of "stuff" in the basement. I weighed that at the scale separately. Consists of six chairs (two of which are bag chairs), fire pit, tool box, box of miscellaneous stuff, camping table, a "Clam" and the yard "accouterments", the wife likes.

The loaded pin weight of 3060 included full (or nearly full propane), the 400 lbs in the basement and whatever clothes I had in the bedroom etc..

Totally loaded I have 1140 lbs of "stuff" in my trailer (loaded weight minus dry weight). All measured by cat scales.

No I don't have a generator.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Zoom

I have 400lbs of "stuff" in the basement. I weighed that at the scale separately. Consists of six chairs (two of which are bag chairs), fire pit, tool box, box of miscellaneous stuff, camping table, a "Clam" and the yard "accouterments", the wife likes.

The loaded pin weight of 3060 included full (or nearly full propane), the 400 lbs in the basement and whatever clothes I had in the bedroom etc..

Totally loaded I have 1140 lbs of "stuff" in my trailer (loaded weight minus dry weight). All measured by cat scales.

No I don't have a generator.

Mike
    Thanks for the info. I have actually been looking at a new truck. It is a DRW F350 Limited. I told the wife if she wants a new camper I might as well have a new truck that would also pull anything we would purchase in the future! We will see.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there ya go...

I think you'll enjoy the 367. We love it.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast