Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Question re: Tow Vehicle

Starting our search for info as we may be purchasing a 5th wheeler in the not too distant future. Kind of focusing on a GD Reflection, 260, which is trailerable with a H/T, but, I would prefer to tow with a 3/4 ton pickup. As we are retired, a trip or two to the west coast/mountain states are not out of the question, so would a gas F250 get the job done. My main concern is mountains, as we just drove from State College, Pa., to Georgia last week and I'm sure the western states would be more of a challenge. Max on the model we are looking at is 9900 or so lbs, and I know there would be no issues on flat roads. Looking, hoping, for some real life experiences on this, feel this is the way to get real answers. Thanks in advance, cycler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Ford 6.2 forum there are several folks pulling out west with the 6.2. The ones that do it the most prefer the 4.30 gears and most are pulling a heavier fiver. The 6.2 is a good motor that likes to rev. If you go diesel you really need to go the 350, 3500 route. I like my 6.2 and would not sweat it with anything 10k or under. I too am retired and I use it for a daily driver which consist of maybe to or three trips a week at about 3 miles per trip. With that in mind I went 6.2, the only time it get stretched out in hooked to the camper which is usually less that 12 times a year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
    On the Ford 6.2 forum there are several folks pulling out west with the 6.2. The ones that do it the most prefer the 4.30 gears and most are pulling a heavier fiver. The 6.2 is a good motor that likes to rev. If you go diesel you really need to go the 350, 3500 route. I like my 6.2 and would not sweat it with anything 10k or under. I too am retired and I use it for a daily driver which consist of maybe to or three trips a week at about 3 miles per trip. With that in mind I went 6.2, the only time it get stretched out in hooked to the camper which is usually less that 12 times a year.

Thanks for the response. Which gears do you have in your truck?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3.73 but I have never and probably want ever tow out west. It is a really good match for the 297rsts That being said I wouldn’t want to trade this truck it is my favorite all around truck that I have owned and is perfect for me at this time.
    Last edited by Retired Copper; 08-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if you like your truck and it works for you....keep it
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is whatever truck you buy make sure that the loaded pin weight doesn't exceed the trucks allowable payload. For instance my RAM 2018 2500 CTD only has a payload just over 2400 lbs which is not enough for a lot of the 5th wheels out there. However, if it didn't have a diesel its payload would jump up to 3300 lbs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can wait a couple months GM and ford are both coming out with larger/stronger gas motors, 6.6 and 7.3L respectfully. Both would be up to the task with the right gear ratio. You can google when they start selling them.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked on cars.com, the 2020 GM trucks with 6.6L just hit the dealerships. They have 401hp and 464ftlbs. That’s quite an upgrade from my 6.0L! The fords aren’t out yet.

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thank you for all your responses. I did post this same question on a couple of different forums, trying to get a broad spectrum of answers. Most responses on this forum are what I have seen on other forums. It comes down to this for me, while I would prefer diesel, my wife and I will have to really be honest with one another and determine just how much we would use the rv, if we travel less than say 8-10k miles per year, I would probably buy a gas powered truck. Most likely an F250 with 4:30 gears. As far as the mountains go, well, I just will be the guy in the right lane that everyone passes goind uphill. Regards, cycler

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cycler View Post
    As far as the mountains go, well, I just will be the guy in the right lane that everyone passes going uphill.
    On a positive note, maybe you won't be beating up your trailer tires by exceeding their speed rating.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast