User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for securing/using portable generator 315RLTS

Hi. We are buying a 315RLTS and do dry camping on occasion. Prefer not to haul portable generators from truck to trailer every time we want to use. We typically run it during the day for 2 air conditioners, off at night. Currently have a 2016 Impact Fuzion Toyhauler so its onboard Onan 5500 gas, runs 2 air fine, uses 30-35 gal of gas in 3 days.

1) Any recommendations for permanent set up of Onan 5500 LP generator in back of propane tanks or in storage area (venting? crate box?)

2) Recommendations on LP, Gas, or dual fuel generators?

3) Initially preferred onboard generator but looks like cost would be minimum of $6K for wiring, transfer, box, etc. and authorized dealer is not recommending. Thoughts?

Appreciate all your help!
    Thanks,
    Linda

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's someone who did a really nice job with a couple of Hondas.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...erator-Install

I thought of doing a similar mount for my Pulsar 4000i with remote start but I decided I didn't want the vibration transfer to the trailer. So because I am not interested in lifting a >100lb generator in and outof my truck, I made a couple of ramps with 2x8s and wheel it into and out of the front compartment.

Ultimately, we went with gasoline as it is easier to find and refill when boondocking.
    Last edited by JColeman; 08-16-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahooie View Post
    Hi. We are buying a 315RLTS and do dry camping on occasion. Prefer not to haul portable generators from truck to trailer every time we want to use. We typically run it during the day for 2 air conditioners, off at night. Currently have a 2016 Impact Fuzion Toyhauler so its onboard Onan 5500 gas, runs 2 air fine, uses 30-35 gal of gas in 3 days.

1) Any recommendations for permanent set up of Onan 5500 LP generator in back of propane tanks or in storage area (venting? crate box?)

2) Recommendations on LP, Gas, or dual fuel generators?

3) Initially preferred onboard generator but looks like cost would be minimum of $6K for wiring, transfer, box, etc. and authorized dealer is not recommending. Thoughts?

Appreciate all your help!
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Welcome to the forum, Linda. I have a 2019 315RLTS. Click on ADVANCED SEARCH and put my username ('howson") in the User Name field then click SEARCH NOW. Grab a cup of coffee because you'll be reading for awhile.

For your specific question my concern is weight. The 315RLTS has gobs of storage space but relatively little cargo carrying capacity before it reaches the GVWR (10,995 lbs). The other issue is the vast majority of that storage is forward of the axles, so tongue weight can quickly climb to unexpected levels. (Mine was measured at 1,700lbs once!)

If you don't want to haul the generator in the back of your truck the only option, IMO, is the example shown in the link provided by JColeman. Mount the generator(s)--securely--on the hitch. (The entire setup--everything--cannot exceed the hitch's rated 300 lbs maximum.) Personally I'd run propane so I didn't have to carry one more type of fuel, but I realize there's downsides (less power, etc). For wiring I'd just have a connection on the box that mimics a pedestal so you can use your standard power cord and connect it to the trailer's input connector. No need to spend $$$$$ money for interior wiring or transfer boxes if you're dry camping.

There's quite a few of us here with 315RLTS', so don't hesitate to ask questions.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)