User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone experiencing Fiberglass cracks above passenger kitchen slide - Reflecti 307MKS

Hi - we took ownership of our brand new Reflection in 2018 and on its first trips we noticed a crack over the slide out. We immediately coveted crack with silicone until RV dealer could get it in to be repaired. Fiberglass was fixed in fall of 2018. When dewinterizing in spring of 2019 crack was back...after no driving...After extensive work to fix poor welds on 4 vertical aluminum frame pieces and redo of fiberglass all was good until we took it on highway for a few hours and found crack was back for 3rd time...wondering if we got a poor built unit??

Now they want to measure everything...we love the unit but is this normal as our previous pull behind trailer with slide never had any fiberglass or structure problems. Very concerned with the overall structural integrity. ..your thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by phstinson; 08-16-2019 at 08:26 PM. Reason: correction

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not normal. If the dealer can't fix it many people here have contacted GD customer service and had a factory wall replacement. Sounds bigger than just a crack. Something keeps moving to cause it and highly doubt the dealer can fix it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, not normal. The crack is a symptom of an underlying issue. Unless you fix that issue, it will keep coming back.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phstinson View Post
    Hi - we took ownership of our brand new Reflection in 2018 and on its first trips we noticed a crack over the slide out. We immediately coveted crack with silicone until RV dealer could get it in to be repaired. Fiberglass was fixed in fall of 2018. When dewinterizing in spring of 2019 crack was back...after no driving...After extensive work to fix poor welds on 4 vertical aluminum frame pieces and redo of fiberglass all was good until we took it on highway for a few hours and found crack was back for 3rd time...wondering if we got a poor built unit??

Now they want to measure everything...we love the unit but is this normal as our previous pull behind trailer with slide never had any fiberglass or structure problems. Very concerned with the overall structural integrity. ..your thoughts?

Thanks
    We have the same make/model and year but without the crack. I agree with Calbar and Redapple63 that there is something else going on to cause this.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not a poorly built unit as you think, but possibly an early revision where later revisions reinforced the wall to provide greater stiffness. Just like with your sticks and bricks, if you live in an area with real season you can always find the cracks in the drywall at window and door headers - these "thinned" locations give most easily. If you want to blow a few hours, you can dig through the countless forums that go back far in time and you will find that every major manufacturer using composite laminate walls had cracking for one reason or the other.

All that said, I have personally never encountered or heard that any original owner who has experienced a major crack that was not taken care of by the manufacturer. Those whom I know personally who have been there, and those that were on my FR forum when I was an FR owner, the factory repair did consist of full wall replacement and some also had frame reinforcing.

Good luck with this. I am sure it will work out. You just need to start the dialogue with GD Customer Service directly. Be prepared when you call and have the timeline of everything written down, all your dealer information, etc. so your initial call is full and complete so the ball starts rolling.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Maybe not a poorly built unit as you think, but possibly an early revision where later revisions reinforced the wall to provide greater stiffness. Just like with your sticks and bricks, if you live in an area with real season you can always find the cracks in the drywall at window and door headers - these "thinned" locations give most easily. If you want to blow a few hours, you can dig through the countless forums that go back far in time and you will find that every major manufacturer using composite laminate walls had cracking for one reason or the other.

All that said, I have personally never encountered or heard that any original owner who has experienced a major crack that was not taken care of by the manufacturer. Those whom I know personally who have been there, and those that were on my FR forum when I was an FR owner, the factory repair did consist of full wall replacement and some also had frame reinforcing.

Good luck with this. I am sure it will work out. You just need to start the dialogue with GD Customer Service directly. Be prepared when you call and have the timeline of everything written down, all your dealer information, etc. so your initial call is full and complete so the ball starts rolling.
    OP posted in Dec:

"We are just about to take possession of a 2020 320MKS which we will pull with our 2016 F350 SRW King Ranch."
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post270544

I'm going to say they solved the problem.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-29-2020 at 09:14 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    OP posted in Dec:

"We are just about to take possession of a 2020 320MKS which we will pull with our 2016 F350 SRW King Ranch."
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post270544

I going to say they solved the problem.
    Now that's definitely one way to fix it...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania