User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mauiboy1

Torque of the Wheels

How important is it to torque the nuts on the wheels every time you go out. I had my rig out to camp once and back to the dealership about 4 times now for repairs and no one actually mentioned torque the nuts on wheels

p.s. new to this forum, so please excuse the newbie ness...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It used to be torque should be checked several times, first 50 miles (this is after installing new tires/wheels), then every 200 miles for the first 500 miles. After that, check just periodically. I check mine prior to any really long trip, then don't check again till either I loosen the lug nuts or get ready to go on another long trip. To me a long trip is where I will drive over 500 miles. I only check prior to leaving the house, not prior to returning home. I have found that 99% of the lugs stay at the prescribed torque. I have tightened a lug less than 1/8 of a turn when checking and found not exactly at torque spec. Hope this helps
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

mauiboy1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckeyd1 View Post
    It used to be torque should be checked several times, first 50 miles (this is after installing new tires/wheels), then every 200 miles for the first 500 miles. After that, check just periodically. I check mine prior to any really long trip, then don't check again till either I loosen the lug nuts or get ready to go on another long trip. To me a long trip is where I will drive over 500 miles. I only check prior to leaving the house, not prior to returning home. I have found that 99% of the lugs stay at the prescribed torque. I have tightened a lug less than 1/8 of a turn when checking and found not exactly at torque spec. Hope this helps
    luckeyd1
    Thank you, Yes is does. I just found the torque spec in the packet of stuff I received with the rig.. Happy Traveling.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I check the lug torque every morning before I start a pull right after I check the air pressure in the tires. It is a safety item that becomes a action habit vs a forgotten "wish I had of" action. As I age many habitual actions become important or they never enter my mind. After seeing the results of a wheel coming off a trailer years ago, a strong visual was burned into my brain; so the habit of spending 6 minutes checking the torque each morning began.

For some reason (physics will explain it) my previous 5er would have 4 bolts, on the street side, back up after every 400-500 miles. (2 on each wheel, but seldom the same 2) I have not experienced that with the GD Reflection so far, but I'll keep checking them!

Just food for thought. Enjoy every day camping.
    R Kaiser
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

mauiboy1
    Thank you for the imput Retread68. As i mentioned eariier, I found the chart with the torque ratings, but it is somewhat confusing for they give you different torque ratings for the same wheel size. For example one of the listings on the chart says 16.00 x 6.75. I don't know what the width of my tires are. It doesnt mention it on the tire. What size tire do you have and what do you torque it at?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauiboy1 View Post
    Thank you for the imput Retread68. As i mentioned eariier, I found the chart with the torque ratings, but it is somewhat confusing for they give you different torque ratings for the same wheel size. For example one of the listings on the chart says 16.00 x 6.75. I don't know what the width of my tires are. It doesnt mention it on the tire. What size tire do you have and what do you torque it at?
    I believe that is the 'wheel diameter x wheel width' not the tire width. The widthes of tires and wheels are rarely the same (at least on cars).

On old fashioned steelies, it's stamped into the wheel on the outer face. On aluminum wheels it's probably cast into the back somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mauiboy1 - - Typically the tire size does not dictate lug nut torque. The lug size and wheel composition (steel vs aluminum) are the determining factors. The lugs will be sized commensurate to the wheel size. The lugs on my trailer is 1/2" and the wheels are aluminum thus the industry standard torque is 90-120 ft lbs. I typically torque mine to 110 ft lbs.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with the GD Reflections 337RLS that has the ST235/80R16 LRE tires, what pound should the lug nuts torqued too?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KheSahn068 View Post
    So with the GD Reflections 337RLS that has the ST235/80R16 LRE tires, what pound should the lug nuts torqued too?
    First, I noted the above is your first post so welcome to the forum. Hope you'll take a moment and post in the New Members Introductions section.

Second, your owner's manual is available in PDF form at https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...owners-manuals

On page 63 (of the 2018 manual) there's a chart that shows the proper torque sequence for the wheel size/stud size combination. There's also a diagram showing the tightening pattern.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't check mine but them again the motorhome lugs are at 450 ft pd which is greater than any of my wrenches. For the trailer I'll check at the beginning of a trip, or after a tire removal. Trips last several weeks at a time.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast