User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shark Bite Valve for fresh water overflow

I am going dry camping for the first time next week and want to install a shark bite valve on the fresh water overflow line. My 303RLS is in storage right now so I was wondering if anyone knew what size valve I need to buy

Thanks
    Frank
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My overflow is 3/4" Pex. I strongly recommend a ball valve over a gate valve. A quick 1/4 turn lever or several turns of a handle, plus they last longer when used frequently.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankd View Post
    I am going dry camping for the first time next week and want to install a shark bite valve on the fresh water overflow line. My 303RLS is in storage right now so I was wondering if anyone knew what size valve I need to buy Thanks Frank
    Mine is 3/4" too. Something like this is what you're looking for:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270643

I'm guessing that you know that it's closed only when you're travelling with a load of water, and open at all other times. Others may need to know that having it closed while using/draining or filling the tank could cause expensive trouble.

Hope your first dry camp is all good.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    My overflow is 3/4" Pex. I strongly recommend a ball valve over a gate valve. A quick 1/4 turn lever or several turns of a handle, plus they last longer when used frequently.
    Thanks, will get the ball valve when I go out. Appreciate the quick response
    Frank and Harriett
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Mine is 3/4" too. Something like this is what you're looking for:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270643

I'm guessing that you know that it's closed only when you're travelling with a load of water, and open at all other times. Others may need to know that having it closed while using/draining or filling the tank could cause expensive trouble.

Hope your first dry camp is all good.
    Thanks, yes, I do know I need to keep it closed only for traveling. I'll have to make a note by the pump switch to remind myself to check it to make sure to open it when I arrive at my destination.

I have a pair of Honda 2000 generators that hadn't been started in 4 years. Needless to say, they wouldn't start but I found someone who cleaned both carburetors for me for $90 and now they run just like they did when I first got them. I am thrilled. Now I only need to make myself a plug so that they'll run with with my EMS HW 50.

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the valve.
    Frank
    Frank and Harriett
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yes, I do know I need to keep it closed only for traveling. I'll have to make a note by the pump switch to remind myself to check it to make sure to open it when I arrive at my destination. I have a pair of Honda 2000 generators that hadn't been started in 4 years. Needless to say, they wouldn't start but I found someone who cleaned both carburetors for me for $90 and now they run just like they did when I first got them. I am thrilled. Now I only need to make myself a plug so that they'll run with with my EMS HW 50. Thanks for the quick response and the link to the valve. Frank
    Sounds like you're well set-up with both equipment and knowledge. Happy travels.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up the parts from Amazon and completed this mod in all of 2 minutes...However, I did it slightly different and used a 1/2" Shark-bite X 1/2" FNPT ball valve and installed a vented plug to allow water out but hopefully keep creepy crawlies out as well...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xnip2021-03-28_22-35-45.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	33033

Name:	IMG_4841.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	33034

Name:	IMG_4842.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	33035

Name:	IMG_4843.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	33036
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, will get the ball valve when I go out. Appreciate the quick response
    Just remember you MUST OPEN IT to use your water pump or tank damage can occur. Conversely you must open it to fill the tank or damage can occur too. I added a label to my nautilus panel to remind me. Overflow pipe is 3/4" pex. Mark (@boyscout) is correct on his suggestion. HD carries several models of this valve with different end configurations. Be sure you get the correct one.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Just remember you MUST OPEN IT to use your water pump or tank damage can occur. Conversely you must open it to fill the tank or damage can occur too. I added a label to my nautilus panel to remind me. Overflow pipe is 3/4" pex. Mark (@boyscout) is correct on his suggestion. HD carries several models of this valve with different end configurations. Be sure you get the correct one.
    Agreed and am fully aware of the ramifications of forgetting to open the valve when drawing from the tank. I am going to put a warning sticker by my Compass Connect panel to remind me to ensure the valve is open before I turn on the water pump. But more importantly, it will be added to my site setup checklist...
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you guys ,after my first boondocking in my new 30 G I went to check my water tank after setting up and lost a 2/3 of a tank on the drive (2 hours).Will get the ball valves as you have mentioned to say this was a shock is an understatement ,why design something that needs mods to work properly??. I guess buyer be where thanks again site has been great.
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast