User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That camping was a quiet, peaceful activity.

I cherish the times that live up to that expectation. And there are other days when I dream about buying enough property that hearing a neighbor is very unlikely.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One misconception is that RVers must pull their campers and go around to different campgrounds.

We're member/owners at a deeded campground, and our Reflection fifth wheel remains in the storage lot 24/7/365. We call the campground and they move it on the campsite for us. While I do have a tow truck, we use the campground as a get-a-way instead of having a house in the mountains. And after 24 years, we just love the place and the region it's located in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I didn’t realize how far I’d have to plan ahead to get a spot. Growing up in Idaho, we could pack up and leave at 3PM on Friday and always get a spot (no reservations). Those times are long gone.
    Yes, that is my biggest misconception ... the good camping spots are harder to find than I thought they would be or involve a much longer plan ahead time. They are making 800,000 RVs in Elkhart every year for us old baby boomers ... but they are only making 10,000 new campground sites per year.
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My misconception was that I could pull the camper out of storage and just go. There is a lot of work to get one ready, and a lot of things to check to make sure you tow safely. It is better now, but the first few years it seemed as if every trip was some new thing to learn, check, fix, clean, and worry about. I thought for the money I was spending I would get something akin to the quality in a modern car...just hit me with a stupid stick.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started in a tent - then Went to a Pop up. Kids loved going, and we had a boat back then. We stayed mainly in a National park on the Allegheny Reservoir during 4th of July. Now you need to be quick around the 1st of the year to get a site. I always thought that pulling a 5er was tough. Then after two TT we got one this year. Pulling it is great. The misconception I had was in the backing up and in the un-hitching. Backs no where near the same as a TT. I discovered two other things. One - when you unhitch it's a really good idea to lower the tailgate before pulling away (Minor damage) . Two - when backing into a driveway that slopes downward from the road, while turning, never use the slider (Much More damage to the tailgate) . Other than that it's been great!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family has had two pop ups dating all the way back to 1995. We have had more fun than could be imagined with those units and they were nice because you could pull them with any vehicle that had a hitch (virtually). But, the lady and I are getting older and became more interested in "easier and more comfortable" a few years back. The journey to replace/upgrade the Nissan Titan then began...I wound up with a 2018 F250 6.7. The plan was to go find our dream 5th wheel.

My misconception? Pin weight vs. available payload and what I bought. My F250 has a 2219 Lb payload (from the sticker inside the driver door...that I never looked at until after it was in my driveway). And, that pretty much precluded us from 5th wheels as we wanted a large unit. So we started looking at TTs and fell in love with the Reflection 297RSTS (2019). That wasn't the original plan but we honestly couldn't be any happier. These rigs are nice! Make lemonade, right? Cheers, Oz

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that we had any misconceptions about RVs in general, we and our extended family have had RVs since way back in the 70s. We grew up in northern Indiana and visited the Elkhart area often. The wife and I took a hiatus from RVs for a while when the kids were high schoolers, they were too much involved in band and sports to go camping. Once the kids were gone and our hectic lives up until @ 2017 when we started to slow down and could think about retirement did we get back into RVs. I think the only misconception was how big of a unit we would end up with and deciding to go fulltime RV living.

I guess our biggest issue is the disappointment in the RV manufacturing industry, really misrepresented weights, complacency, lax and outdated in the basic construction (suspension & braking systems), and the plumbing and wiring, what a sloppy disorganized mess! But they are willing to put a lot effort into bling like remotes and touch screen stuff. I guess they figure in this day and age if the customer has a remote or touch screen they don't care about the outdated or just barely adequate suspension systems.
    Then in the service after the sale of an RV some, majority, many (?) dealerships are just appalling! Our Imagine and now our Solitude have been great but come on, bushings wore out after 1000 miles and the Solitude only having suspension wet bolts on the equalizer section and not on the leaf spring end links to the hangers? Thats just being cheap and lax in construction on Lipperts part. Also just outward sloppiness of the suspension hangers welded to the frame and crooked.

Now I'll give you that Lippert builds the frames and suspensions, but its Grand Design's or any other manufacturer's name plastered on the outside of the RV and its their name that gets the blame. Blaming Lippert or just passing the customer to Lippert to fix poorly constructed frames should not be an excuse or acceptable practice. Or the attitude that just get it out the door, the dealership can fix it in the field or let Lippert handle their mess. I wonder how many frames manufacturers get from Lippert that they reject? Or do they just accept anything they get from Lippert? I have to wonder what any RV manufacturer has in the way of frame design specifications / qualifications to Lippert? If I saw a frame from Lippert and they cheapened out and did not use wet bolts on the leaf spring end hangers, or the hangers were welded on crooked, it would be rejected. Do the RV end manufacturers even quality check Lippert frames? I mean after all they turn the frame upside down to start construction? Do they even look at it? From my observation on a factory tour, no they don't. I have been to GDs factory, was treated well but was not really all that impressed. To me it was a dirty, filthy, somewhat haphazard construction process. But they do build them fast!

So you take what you get and make it better or what it should have been in the first place, aka MorRyde or whatever.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 08-25-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12