User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's hear your camping misconceptions

For some it's been decades and for some it's only days since owning a camper. I'd be interested in hearing some of your misconceptions you had before owning a camper.

My big one was that I always considered that travel trailers were really meant to be pulled by smaller tow vehicles. I didn't think you would need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck to pull some of them. If you had a big truck, you pulled a fifthwheel. If you had a smaller truck you pulled a travel trailer.

Sure was wrong on that one!
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years ago we had a TT, could not afford a 5er. Then came boating and skiing and camping, rving was forgotten for a few years. When we got back in the game the 150/1500 series towable 5ers caught our eye. When we looked at them in detail, the space was about the same as a similar TT. No basement, higher ceilings (more to heat/cool) and usually a higher profile. Big misconception, so we went back to a TT.
    No need for 3/4 or 1ton truck. The misconception was the grass may not always be greener......
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest misconception I had was that I could actually figure out what I wanted the first time, and that my first purchase would be my last. Im on number three now, and first 5er. Wife names it "Mohican", as in "the Last Mohican". We shall see.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest misconception was that when you spend a lot of money on an RV it will be perfect. Boy have I been slapped silly on that one. Now I expect there to be some issues and plan accordingly.

What's a little scary is that when I asked the service manager to schedule me at least a half day of service one week after I picked it up and then 3 days after 11 months for warranty work, he didn't even ask me why....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a massive camping/RV misconception. There was a time when I thought I wasn't a RV guy! I openly wondered and asked why anyone would go through all the effort instead of just staying in a hotel. In 2011, on a whim, I bought a small 2004 Outback bumper pull trailer to see what all the fuss was about. I was instantly hooked. Mods to the trailer, hooking up, towing, setting up, the final destination...I enjoy every aspect. For the first few years, it was all about getting the kids out on adventures almost every time they had a school break. The kids are now young adults and have their own lives so my wife and I look for any excuse to get out whether it's for a weekend someplace local or a 3,000 mile, 16 day road trip. 9 years and three trailers later, here we are planning (and dreaming of) a retirement that revolves around slowly exploring every corner of the USA.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are now on our fourth last RV. I believe that is more of a delusion than a misconception.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have no real misconceptions. Things are about as we thought they would be.
    And, at our age we don't expect any conceptions either.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I've camped all my life, I can't remember any before camping misconceptions. However, as the old saying (that I made up) goes, "when you think you've seen it all, you see something else."
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking someone surely would have said, "I have a 3/4 ton diesel and I can pull/haul everything".
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t realize how far I’d have to plan ahead to get a spot. Growing up in Idaho, we could pack up and leave at 3PM on Friday and always get a spot (no reservations). Those times are long gone.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast