User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth wheel tailgates

5 more days until we become full timers. We brought the 337 down to the RV park / campground near us for the transition. There were not a lot of choices for a spot for a few weeks but we are not complaining. The spot we have was a real tough one to back in to with a couple of trees and not real level. It was the first time I hooked up to the new F-350 LB and with the tailgate down it's a little closer than my 2017 F250 SB. I've decided to get a fifth wheel tailgate as with a lot of traveling we will be unhooking quite a bit and I don't want to risk damage to the tailgate - $$$$. What are you guys using for your trucks and any brands you can recommend ? I will be putting one on before we head out of here right after Labor Day.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though you don't need it for cab clearance with a LB, one option may be a manual slider hitch. I have the B&W Companion Slider on my F350 SB and always slide it to the rearward position when checking in at a campground even if I don't need it for turns. This gives me an additional 12" of clearance for the tailgate and allows me to walk from side to side for adjusting the jacks etc. It also makes the 5th wheel a little more responsive to steering inputs when backing. Just a thought.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into a (new for me) tailgate clearance issue recently. Backed into a tight spot with the truck sitting about 45 degrees, went to open the tailgate to unhitch and it didn't clear the RV. ??? Got to looking. The front wall of the underbelly below the overhang is slopped. When the tailgate is down it clears the front wall, but if it is up and the angle is correct it does not clear the upper part of the front wall.

I set the 5th wheel on the ground, pulled the hitch release bar, pulled forward 4", then was able to open the tailgate. Another lesson learned.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck in signature, 337, 4 years full-time with over 40,000 miles towed and about 220 hitchings/unhitchings. I don't want to give up the OEM tailgate camera in the truck (for when we're not towing) nor the built-in step for old men, so still have the stock tailgate. When backing into tight sites, I just make sure the truck and trailer are straight when finished and have never had a problem. Yes, it's close, but it works.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High 5, D2, And Rob - Thanks for your responses. After hearing your advice I think I'll stick with my OEM tailgate. I'm glad I posted this and it's always good to have a few different opinions from experienced RVer's like you guys. Less than 36 hours until we become fulltimers. Thanks again, Boomer.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out that new tailgates and paint on one are expensive at around $1200. Don't ask how I know.