User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our 1st day with the new RV taking it home oh the white knuckles.

We have had our RV since August 12 a whole week now and we have been away for 3 days and we are booked into Bass Lake Provincial Park in Sept. Everything has gone great despite our trip home the first day. We picked up the trailer we were trading in and made the trip down the 400 from Victoria Harbour to Sebring Ontario without any problem. I was a little nervous towing a trailer that I had no idea about the bearings or the hubs and when they had been serviced last but it went perfect. We pick up the new trailer after a two hour orientation and start to head home. I tell the wife it will be a breeze from here to home. The only city we have to go through is Orillia. We turn north on to Hwy 12 and we are on our way, 5 minutes later I look in the mirror and see an ambulance coming with it's lights and siren on, CRAP it's a two lane hwy with soft gravel shoulders. I know by law I need to clear the lane if possible but there is no where to go, the ambulance is is closing fast. There is a turn off for a road with a very short right turn lane but it's long enough to fit 49' for truck and trailer. I get it stopped and we both give a sigh of relieve. We manage to get back on the road and head through Orillia, we even stop for a quick lunch. We get back in the truck and I tell the wife the hard part is over. We head north on hwy 12 which turns into the old Barrie road, it's not traveled much by traffic so it should be a breeze. Well ten minutes later we are greeted by a pickup truck coming over the hill with a large sign that reads caution wide load, wtf a tractor pulling 1/2 a house is right behind him. This is a two lane country road no paved shoulders no right turn lanes just a straight one lane each way country road. I slow the truck right down as the tractor driver is doing also. I get my right side wheels exactly on the edge of the pavement and I stop. The tractor driver goes as far to the right as he can and makes it by with 2" to spare. I wait for the following tractor to do the same thing, as he approaches he gives me a wave. I am no longer allowed to say this will be a breeze. We did manage to get the 2450 into our designated 11' wide parking spot on the first try. I figure everything from now on is going to be .........OK.

Ken
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    We have had our RV since August 12 a whole week now and we have been away for 3 days and we are booked into Bass Lake Provincial Park in Sept. Everything has gone great despite our trip home the first day. We picked up the trailer we were trading in and made the trip down the 400 from Victoria Harbour to Sebring Ontario without any problem. I was a little nervous towing a trailer that I had no idea about the bearings or the hubs and when they had been serviced last but it went perfect. We pick up the new trailer after a two hour orientation and start to head home. I tell the wife it will be a breeze from here to home. The only city we have to go through is Orillia. We turn north on to Hwy 12 and we are on our way, 5 minutes later I look in the mirror and see an ambulance coming with it's lights and siren on, CRAP it's a two lane hwy with soft gravel shoulders. I know by law I need to clear the lane if possible but there is no where to go, the ambulance is is closing fast. There is a turn off for a road with a very short right turn lane but it's long enough to fit 49' for truck and trailer. I get it stopped and we both give a sigh of relieve. We manage to get back on the road and head through Orillia, we even stop for a quick lunch. We get back in the truck and I tell the wife the hard part is over. We head north on hwy 12 which turns into the old Barrie road, it's not traveled much by traffic so it should be a breeze. Well ten minutes later we are greeted by a pickup truck coming over the hill with a large sign that reads caution wide load, wtf a tractor pulling 1/2 a house is right behind him. This is a two lane country road no paved shoulders no right turn lanes just a straight one lane each way country road. I slow the truck right down as the tractor driver is doing also. I get my right side wheels exactly on the edge of the pavement and I stop. The tractor driver goes as far to the right as he can and makes it by with 2" to spare. I wait for the following tractor to do the same thing, as he approaches he gives me a wave. I am no longer allowed to say this will be a breeze. We did manage to get the 2450 into our designated 11' wide parking spot on the first try. I figure everything from now on is going to be .........OK.

Ken
    OK, Ken, this is now your official song: "Call Me The Breeze" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z499WFdQN-4
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken
    Well Ken I think the hard part is done now. You sure had a lot of interesting traffic on the first tow of the new trailer. I sure don't like those wide loads even on the 400 series highways or interstates. Not a lot of room to spare passing them. I think it is called initiating the new trailer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our RV since August 12 a whole week now and we have been away for 3 days and we are booked into Bass Lake Provincial Park in Sept. Everything has gone great despite our trip home the first day. We picked up the trailer we were trading in and made the trip down the 400 from Victoria Harbour to Sebring Ontario without any problem.
    Ken, I think you bought your trailer in Sebright, Ontario, not Sebring, but it sounds like you got everything else right, congratulations.

There will come a time when you don't grip the wheel quite so hard, or try to look out the windshield and at both mirrors all at the same time. White-knuckling it at first instead of being cocky will get you there in one piece. Happy travels.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Ken, I think you bought your trailer in Sebright, Ontario, not Sebring, but it sounds like you got everything else right, congratulations.

There will come a time when you don't grip the wheel quite so hard, or try to look out the windshield and at both mirrors all at the same time. White-knuckling it at first instead of being cocky will get you there in one piece. Happy travels.
    Yes your right on the town auto correct got me again.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent job. These things are never a breeze, slow and easy is my mantra. I also tend to have a celebratory libation after traveling hundreds of miles safely and getting parked without breaking anything.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Excellent job. These things are never a breeze, slow and easy is my mantra. I also tend to have a celebratory libation after traveling hundreds of miles safely and getting parked without breaking anything.
    Here Here I usually make it a couple to settle down.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first pull from the dealer with my (huge to me) TH and 2012 single rear wheel F350 - got about 10 miles from the dealer on the expressway and heard an explosion under the hood and then had very little power. Pulled over and raised the hood to find my pressure side turbo pipe had broken and parted. Had to call a Uber, go to Ford to get a new one, install it and I was on my way. Never was comfortable pulling with that truck again, mainly because of the single rear wheels.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new RV.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear all is well. Just an Old Ontario Boy saying Hi from Alberta.
    Enjoy!!
    b.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast