User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wacko A/C silencer, I’m a believer!

We’ve got a 303 with the Dometic Brisk air conditioner. It works well but is horribly loud. I first read about the Wacko silencer kit last winter and thought it sounded interesting, but not $200 worth of interesting.
    Well I kept reading about folks who measured the reduction in sound levels and it was significant.
    We camped many times this summer and it was so hot we had to be inside with AC on. It was deafening, hard to have a conversation. We only have one ac so we don’t have that option of running the bedroom unit while enjoying the quiet in the living area. I figured I needed to buy and install a second ac.
    So i took a gamble and ordered the silencer kit.
    I was amazed! It not only reduced the amount of the noise but also changed the tone, not so harsh.
    Very simple to install. Amazing results! I am no longer thinking about a bedroom ac.

Keith
    Keithb
    Upstate New York
    2018 Reflection 303RLS built 08/2017
    2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/6.0 L gas
    Reese 16K Slider, SteadyFast System

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"ve been looking at this. We do have two A/C's units but we also live in south Texas. Since the A/C's are so loud we don't go out in July and August as it's just too hot and the AC's run 24/7 just trying to keep up.

I'm just wondering if it causes any undo stress to the AC unit?
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I don’t see how it would stress the unit. The discharge plenum for the dump feature gets covered with tape and then the inlet air is drawn in through a filter.
    If anything, I’d say the unit sounded like it is running smoother. Closing up the air leaks should make it more efficient.
    The guy who makes these has a website and a couple of YouTube’s.
    Keith
    Keithb
    Upstate New York
    2018 Reflection 303RLS built 08/2017
    2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/6.0 L gas
    Reese 16K Slider, SteadyFast System

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it only works on 2 brands of A/C units, Coleman and Dometic.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone's keeping track, this has got to be the most expensive forum to participate in. <sigh>

Thanks(?) for the thread.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    If anyone's keeping track, this has got to be the most expensive forum to participate in. <sigh>

Thanks(?) for the thread.
    I agree!! Way too many great ideas for us to spend our money on. I am thinking of how to modify my current cover to do something similar just haven't nailed down what how I want to do it exactly.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, $200 looks a little pricey. I am going to try and quiet ours down with some dyna mat material and high density foam, around $50 bucks for the materials. I've seen a few posts on other sites where people have had good luck going that route. However if that doesn't work I'll probably drop the $200 to rid our rig of the obnoxious noise!!!
    Chris & Leslie

2015 F-150 FX4 Max Tow
    2019 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife saw this in Trailer Life. (We purchase it as part of a fund raiser that our daughter does every year. I generally would not have purchased otherwise) She said that would be a great idea for the trailer. I turned to her and said " Usually I would be all about spending tons of stupid money on our rig. However, that money could go to something else more important." She asked why and I said did you see the price. She saw the price and said nevermind. I mean heck that was a free pass to purchase said item.

Oh who am I kidding, I will just buy the darn thing. Afterall my wife saw it first and liked it. LoL
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wacko Feedback. I purchased one of these and installed it November 2019. We took a 3 week trip in December. The next trip was last week up to the panhandle of Florida.
    The ac was struggling to keep it cool inside. On the last night, it would run for a couple of minutes, shut off for 30 seconds, run for a couple of minutes. Then it quit altogether.
    After getting home and doing some troubleshooting research, I was checking the fins up inside the unit. They were clean, but the Wacko filter was partially clogged. So I hosed it off and let it dry. The AC ran great after that. I guess not letting enough air in and it was icing up. The next thing to check would be the icing probe that stuck in the fins. They can go bad.
    By the way, glued to the Wacko cover is a piece of insulation. That must of had close to half a cup of water absorbed into it. Our ac sits at an angle to make the cover a great drain pan.
    Moral of the story- clean your filter regularly.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"