User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We are getting closer to a GD 375res but still a bit undecided on the type of refrigerator. I like the idea of having a propane option but not ever having a residential refrigerator in a RV I'm not sure. We plan to full-time. Any thoughts either way are appreciated.
    We bought our trailer off the lot with the dual-fuel RV fridge in it, despite that I was pretty sure I wanted a residential fridge.

We had serious problems with the original fridge such that the dealer had to replace it. When it became clear it was going that way I tried to get the dealer to install a residential-fridge-plus-inverter instead and take my much-more-expensive RV fridge in exchange, but he refused.

I was disappointed, but now I'm not so sure. While the new fridge soon developed the ubiquitous flap failure problem, since I fixed that it has performed very well on both electricity and on propane. A mid-range setting of 5 it keeps the fridge in the thirties and freezes ice cubes in about 4-5 hours, even when outside temps get up into the high-eighties. When it's turned off for travel, the fridge will stay safe-cold and ice frozen for at least six hours - the longest we've traveled that way.

So it works great, and we've been doing more boondocking with the trailer than I expected (actually I hoped, my wife did not) to do. We just returned from three days boondocking in mid-70s temps, fridge was icy-cold on 5 setting and used hardly any propane or even much battery. We ran three full days on a pair of Trojan T105s with no charging and they were still reading 12.15 volts at the end.

Not possible to do that with a residential fridge... even beefed-up batteries would take a much harder hit and you'd be looking to charge them much sooner than I would mine.

So, my choice has changed. Good luck making yours.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with residential unless lots of boondocking. We agonized over getting a residential as it came equipped on the 3350 solitude we bought at a good price. No regrets. Love the residential even though we were convinced the RV fridge was what we really wanted like our last travel trailer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my Dometic 1350 four door fridge with a residential. It was a piece of cake and one of the best mods I've done. Cools super fast, makes ice, has automatic defrost, and most importantly holds temperature. Old fit out the door and new fit in the door. Had to take the doors off of both fridges, but that was all. Installwise, the hardest part was sealing up the access doors on the side. It's also much larger and a better use of space than the RV fridge, and a fraction of the cost. I strongly recommend it to everybody.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    I replaced my Dometic 1350 four door fridge with a residential. It was a piece of cake and one of the best mods I've done. Cools super fast, makes ice, has automatic defrost, and most importantly holds temperature. Old fit out the door and new fit in the door. Had to take the doors off of both fridges, but that was all. Installwise, the hardest part was sealing up the access doors on the side. It's also much larger and a better use of space than the RV fridge, and a fraction of the cost. I strongly recommend it to everybody.
    Which model did you go with?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Which model did you go with?
    I got a Samsung RF22KREDBSS open box with a couple dents in it at a local appliance store. I was going to go with the Samsung Grand Design installs in the Solitudes, but this was a lot nicer for not much more money. The smaller one they use would have been a bit easier to fit in the cabinet, but in mine the fridge is all by itself, not in the middle of the counter or anything, so I just removed the cabinet. Once I did that I could fit any counter depth fridge I wanted. I can honestly say it's nice than the side by side fridge I have in our house lol.

I've got a thread somewhere here in it, but here's some photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJ76aDCQvL6p2XR59
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same cost is what im told
    Sold our Salem travel trailer that's been all over the USA and going big in the spring after the snow melts.
    2021 Solitude 310GK (first of year 2021)
    2020 Chevrolet 3500HD duramax Crew Cab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does a Residential Fridge weigh? Has to put a lot of weight/strain on slide outs....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    What does a Residential Fridge weigh? Has to put a lot of weight/strain on slide outs....
    Dometic RM1350 14 cu.ft Net weight 231 lbs
    Samsung 18 cu.ft RF18HFENBSR/AA Product Weight 231.48 lb
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    roduct information
    Product Dimensions 32.5 x 255 x 68.5 inches
    Item Weight 255 pounds
    Shipping Weight 593 pounds
    Manufacturer Dometic
    ASIN B078HFP99W
    Item model number RM1350WIMSS
    Best Sellers Rank #798 ,556 in Kitchen & Dining (See Top 100 in Kitchen & Dining)
    #755 in Refrigerators
    Date first listed on Amazon December 19, 2017

Look at shipping weight compared to Item weight. Heavy crate! LOL
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol yes. I can say when I did the swap (22cf Samsung) my back said they were about the same. Definitely within 50 pounds.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast