User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda EU2000i Generators

I have 2 Honda generators connected in parallel and they appear to mostly work well with my Progressive EMS HW50C.

However, when I try to run the Coleman 13500 Bedroom A/C, the unit starts and then dies. The error code on the Progressive shows PE4 which is LINE 1 Low Voltage

Both 2000’s were in ECO Mode and should ramp up to full power as needed.

Based on the PE4 error, should I have both generators in non-ECO mode before turning on the A/C

I would think the pair should be able to support the smaller A/C but I think the Progressive is shutting down the power as soon as a low voltage condition is detected (as it should)

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Frank
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankd View Post
    I have 2 Honda generators connected in parallel and they appear to mostly work well with my Progressive EMS HW50C.

However, when I try to run the Coleman 13500 Bedroom A/C, the unit starts and then dies. The error code on the Progressive shows PE4 which is LINE 1 Low Voltage

Based on the PE4 error, should I have both generators in non-ECO mode before turning on the A/C

I would think the pair should be able to support the smaller A/C but I think the Progressive is shutting down the power as soon as a low voltage condition is detected (as it should)

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Frank
    1) Put the EMS in bypass mode when you're starting the AC?
    2) Start up the AC unit in fan mode and let the generators ramp up. Then click the AC on.
    3) Take the Honda's out of ECO mode prior to starting the air conditioners.
    4) Install an EasyStart https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    1) Put the EMS in bypass mode when you're starting the AC?
    - agree, that should work since I am the one suppling the power ��
    2) Start up the AC unit in fan mode and let the generators ramp up. Then click the AC on.
    - tried that but the generators didn’t really need to ramp up in fan mode.
    3) Take the Honda's out of ECO mode prior to starting the air conditioners.
    - will try that in the morning when I setup the generators again but am leaning towards the bypass mode as an easy solution
    4) Install an EasyStart https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters
    - Is the one needed the $299 soft start kit?
    Frank and Harriett
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply!

- Is the one needed the $299 soft start kit?
    https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

Super easy to install. I watched the video about 10 times and read the directions multiple times, too, and found the installation very easy. (Disclaimer: I'm a former USAF avionics technician so working with stuff like this is not difficult for me at all.)

Enter "Airstream" in the discount or coupon or whatever it's called box and you'll get $25 off. I put EasyStarts on the 15K and the 13.5K on my 315. I don't have a generator (yet) but there's plenty of documentation online to show the EasyStarts work great with generators. Watch MicroAir's video--it very convincing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0...ature=youtu.be

Note I have no association with this company and I have no interest in whether you buy the product or not--I'm just a customer, too.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running in parallel, all you really need to do is to take them out of eco mode.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for the easy start, I run my A/C on one Honda 2200w and can also run it off my batteries, albeit for only about three hours
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Frank
    Final update on my first dry camping adventure. Thanks for all the suggestions

- A/C’s worked with the progressive industries EMS HW 50C once I took the generators out of ECO mode. I only ran one at a time.
    - My two dealer installed batteries did not last long (2 lights on monitor) so I ran the generator to charge them often. Hope to replace these with Battleborn’s in the future.
    - I did have some weirdness when I turned on the light under the hutch when I was under battery power. Sometimes there was a delay before the lights came on. I would just turn the light switch off and an and then the light would come on. This is still a mystery to solve.
    - The Honda generators were mostly in non ECO idle mode (even with the A/C on) unless I ran the microwave or coffee pot. Then, they rev’d up as needed.
    - With shark bite valve installed, I did not lose any water during travel to the campout . However, the water had too much of a chlorine taste after I did my sanitization prior to leaving on my campout. My bad! This is now fixed.
    - At the campground, every once in a while I would hear the pump run for a few seconds when no one was asking for water. Not sure how to troubleshoot this one.
    - Next project: Dimmers on the awning lights. We were at a bluegrass jam / birthday campout with friends and the lights were too brightly leave on

Thanks again
    Frank
    Frank and Harriett
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch