User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awning mats?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning mats?

I have never used one before, but it would be nice to keep mud and rocks from getting into the camper. I am reading reviews on Amazon about Awning Mats and RV Mats and it seems like the cheaper ones ($50-$100) have a reputation for falling apart of snagging/tearing on chair legs. Have you found a good quality mat? I need one about 7' to 8' wide by 12 to 16' long.

Thanks!
    Bryan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just went to SAM's Club and bought an outdoor area rug, 8' x 10' I think. We've been using it for 5 or 6 years now and it's holding up great. I don't remember what we paid for it, it's been too long, but I don't think it was that much. If I may, just because you're buying something for the RV doesn't mean you have to default to "RV" stuff. Household or backyard patio stuff works just as well if not better.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    I have never used one before, but it would be nice to keep mud and rocks from getting into the camper. I am reading reviews on Amazon about Awning Mats and RV Mats and it seems like the cheaper ones ($50-$100) have a reputation for falling apart of snagging/tearing on chair legs. Have you found a good quality mat? I need one about 7' to 8' wide by 12 to 16' long.

Thanks!
    Bryan
    We bought a woven mat on Amazon, 9’ x 18’ for far cheaper than we could have gotten that size at CW or Walmart. It has held up just fine. My main concern was the weight. Once this beast is rolled up and strapped, I can easily pick it up, carry it, stow it by myself (3’ x 10-12” diameter roll, weighs less than 15lbs). Sweep it off during the season, then once, at the beginning of the camping season, I roll it out on our deck in the sun, flood it with oxy-clean, brush (if needed) and rinse with pressure washer. The only times we don’t use it: CGs with “patio” areas made of larger rocks (that won’t get tracked in) or if we’re just doing an overnight stop. All our chairs and tables have rubber feet, I can’t imagine them ever damaging the mat. If we don’t use our pop-up canopy, we also put the CG picnic table on it.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked one up from camping world about 8 years ago. We use it regularly if not on a concrete pad. When not in use it stays folded up in my truck bed under the tool box all year long. It still is in great shape and all I do is sweep it off before folding it up. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    We bought a woven mat on Amazon, 9’ x 18’ for far cheaper than we could have gotten that size at CW or Walmart. It has held up just fine. My main concern was the weight. Once this beast is rolled up and strapped, I can easily pick it up, carry it, stow it by myself (3’ x 10-12” diameter roll, weighs less than 15lbs). Sweep it off during the season, then once, at the beginning of the camping season, I roll it out on our deck in the sun, flood it with oxy-clean, brush (if needed) and rinse with pressure washer. The only times we don’t use it: CGs with “patio” areas made of larger rocks (that won’t get tracked in) or if we’re just doing an overnight stop. All our chairs and tables have rubber feet, I can’t imagine them ever damaging the mat. If we don’t use our pop-up canopy, we also put the CG picnic table on it.
    N
    That sounds perfect. Do you remember what brand it was?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds perfect. Do you remember what brand it was?
    Went back in orders. Still there, only $4 more than what we paid over a year ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2CAC427-6AB8-4500-806B-32D5476747E1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	22109

We don’t use the bag or the stakes. It always lays flat, after we unroll it. The binding and join seams are well sewn, and it still looks like new (if you get a grease spot from food/cooking, Krud Cutter-degreaser from Lowe’s takes it out). The color wouldn’t have been my first choice, but really, aside from the blue, the colors actually go nicely with the trailer.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our first mat a few months ago and used it in Colorado in July. It seems like it will hold up well and folds up pretty small. It is this one from Amazon at just over $50.

Camco Large Reversible Outdoor Patio Mat - Mold and Mildew Resistant, Easy to Clean, Perfect for Picnics, Cookouts, Camping, and The Beach (9' x 12', Lattice Blue Design) (42856)
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    We bought our first mat a few months ago and used it in Colorado in July. It seems like it will hold up well and folds up pretty small. It is this one from Amazon at just over $50.

Camco Large Reversible Outdoor Patio Mat - Mold and Mildew Resistant, Easy to Clean, Perfect for Picnics, Cookouts, Camping, and The Beach (9' x 12', Lattice Blue Design) (42856)
    It seems like hit and miss with these mats from Amazon. Some people love them and say they last a long time, others are disappointed right out of the box, and the mats arrive broken or the weave comes apart or gets poked through easily. But I don't know if more expensive necessarily means better quality though. I definitely need a 9x18' mat ... that's about all I'm sure of so far. ;-)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like hit and miss with these mats from Amazon. Some people love them and say they last a long time, others are disappointed right out of the box, and the mats arrive broken or the weave comes apart or gets poked through easily. But I don't know if more expensive necessarily means better quality though. I definitely need a 9x18' mat ... that's about all I'm sure of so far. ;-)
    Unfortunately that is the case with anything on Amazon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradnailer View Post
    Unfortunately that is the case with anything on Amazon.
    ...which is why I came here to get experienced opinions instead. :-)
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast