Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you upgrade the axles?

I see alot of people talking suspension upgrade.. but I have also heard of people having axle issues, tire blow outs ect...

So being from the aircraft industry I started looking at weight and balance...

WOW... I was shocked to find out HOW MUCH YOU CANT TAKE with you on an RV... I look at all of these people and know that their trailers are way overloaded...which I can see why they have blow-outs and axle problems.
    #3500 axles? and tires that are barely rated to get the RV off the lot...

SO... I am not complaining.. Has anyone upgraded the axles to #5000 weight class?
    Tires are an obvious upgrade and easy... but doesnt solve the overload issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 2017 2600RB, we went from 3500# to 4500# by just changing springs for $400 at the local truck spring and alignment shop. LCI used the same 3" axle beam in 5000# and 6000# assemblies. Had I wanted to further increase the capacity, I would have had to replace a bunch of parts: hubs, bearings, brakes, wheels, etc. The juice was not worth the squeeze to go bigger.

Lots of conversation about Westlake VS Goodyear Endurance on this forum. Westlakes physically have soft sidewalls and are light weight compared to GY Endurance. Noticed much less "truck suck," changing to GD Endurance. However, we put about 10,000 miles on the Westlakes, no issues.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 08-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suspension systems are one of the most frequently discussed topics on the forum. Have you used the search function?

The axles aren't usually the weak point. The most common failures are spring hangers, shackles, bolts, and the springs themselves. There are upgrades available for these components (MOR/ryde is a popular source). Some folks replace the entire suspension system with the MOR/ryde independent suspension. You don't say what model RV you have, but this is only an option for the heavier units such as the fifth wheels. Upgrading the suspension system also does not increase your cargo carrying capacity, as it does not change the rest of the chassis structure. Do some research on the forum and read the volumes that have already been written on this topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right about research.....and the intent of this thread was for 2600RB owners...i guess I missed the mark.

Being new to the RV community and this investment has me a little skidish in the overloading. The spring upgrade is interesting and I will give it a look. I did see this independent axle upgrade today and it was interesting. But I'm not that confident yet.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dohertycm View Post
    Your right about research.....and the intent of this thread was for 2600RB owners...i guess I missed the mark.

Being new to the RV community and this investment has me a little skidish in the overloading. The spring upgrade is interesting and I will give it a look. I did see this independent axle upgrade today and it was interesting. But I'm not that confident yet.

Hi ! eventually you'll get the hang of the forum, welcome to the RV life and the forum! Just a forum hint...
    If you want to ask questions specific to your trailer from others that have the same model you can pose the question in the section for Imagine, Reflection or what ever make/model you have. You can also put the model in the title if you like. Take a little time to fill in your signature (in the Settings, upper right corner) adding your make/model and it will help when others reply knowing what rig you have..
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/