User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acadia Tips

We have visited Acadia many times as it is our favorite Nat’l park in the East. Try to stay there for longer than a week if you can.
    Jordan Pond restaurant is famous for its fresh popovers with strawberry jam. We would ride our bikes there. They serve meals and an afternoon tea on the lawn.
    Kayaking tours - great
    Hiking trails are plentiful with different levels of skill - the water in the streams and lakes is crystal clear and the rocks are colorful. Loons making their mournful calls on Eagle Lake - fantastic.
    Breakfast at “Two Cats” in Bar Harbor - sublime.
    On the drive north to Acadia (route 1)we stayed at The Moorings CG in Belfast ME. Very nice. Nearby is Young’s lobster pound where you can see the lobsters in huge containers. They will cook them for you.
    One more point, the crowds die down in September and it gets cold in late October. Not all stores in Bar Harbor will remain open into mid October.
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    It is hard to reserve when we don't have a definite time plan. Retired and don't want to be stuck with having to rush from place to place. We haven't decided what to see on the way out or back.
    Along the I70 corridor there are tones of private, state, county and local campgrounds so don't worry about reservations. Do a bit of exploring on the side roads too. Now somewhere along I 70 in Nebraska I think is a HUGE Caballas store with free camping. It is a very dangerous place to visit - leave wallet in trailer
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another place to stop is the Iowa 80 truck stop. A very large truck stop which has an area set aside for RV’s with overnight dry parking if you so desire. The truck stop is a fun place just to stop and wander around and look things over.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Along the I70 corridor there are tones of private, state, county and local campgrounds so don't worry about reservations. Do a bit of exploring on the side roads too. Now somewhere along I 70 in Nebraska I think is a HUGE Caballas store with free camping. It is a very dangerous place to visit - leave wallet in trailer
    I know about Cabela's it is off I 80.
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know about Cabela's it is off I 80.
    Better take I70 then
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maine Loons

Off topic as far as directions -
    But my brother-in-law from Maine just sent me this link to a news story about loons. Very cool!

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/08/...e-sounds-like/
    2020 F-450 Lariat, CrewCab 8' bed, diesel
    2020 Solitude S-series 2930rl-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am planning a 2020 fall trip from Colorado to Maine, with stops at Rv Hall of Fame and Museum, maybe a GD factory tour, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park NY, Lincolns grave site, Acadia. I really don't want to do the tolls but if I have to I will(would like to spend money on other things). Should I get an EZ pass? or do I take I70 instead of I80? Any suggestions for other stops? I am thinking this is a month or so trip. I am open to everybody's wisdom. Thanks
    Agree that 90 is best bet for Niagra to New England, but you could look into 88/86 in NY - takes you south a bit, but scenic and no tolls. We take it when we travel from NH toward the midwest. There are a few sections where the road isn't in the best condition (not sure we have found a state where they are), but overall it is a very pleasant alternative to the Thruway.
    Marcy and Marybeth
    Milo and Bean (rescue pups)
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You almost can't avoid tolls sadly. I-70 will get you from west of Lawrence KS to KC. Or I-80 around Chicago into Indiana. Having driven both ways from the Springs, and back, I prefer I-70 because barbecue. Both interstates take about the same time, and you can see weather on either in the fall.

Get any of the EZ Pass transponders you can. It's easy to do and saves you money. The I-Pass came in a small foil bag so I can take it down and make sure it isn't communicating when I'm not in the area. We are lucky out here to have less toll roads than those in the eastern US.

Bottom line, drive safe and enjoy your trip.
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly recommend an EZ Pass

Acadia is absolutely awesome. Highly recommend BarHarbor Campground, great rates $46.00 for full hook ups, Buy 6 nights get 7th free, couple of miles from entrance. To park, you need a week to do the park justice. No Reservation excepted, but you won’t have an issue finding a site at all that time of year. Been going to same Campground Florida over 30 years now

Best rates on island, Walmart on way in if you Arrive late no issue staying there at all

Town of Bar Harboring r very cool, cruise ships show up every few days or so that time of year

What are you towing?

http://www.thebarharborcampground.com/

Jimmy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by undermills View Post
    Agree that 90 is best bet for Niagra to New England, but you could look into 88/86 in NY - takes you south a bit, but scenic and no tolls. We take it when we travel from NH toward the midwest. There are a few sections where the road isn't in the best condition (not sure we have found a state where they are), but overall it is a very pleasant alternative to the Thruway.
    I agree that I86 is a much more pleasant drive, the problem he is talking about going from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown so to drop down to 86 then go back up 88 and cross country to Cooperstown would add 3 to 4 hours of driving. Now, if he was to spend some time in the Finger Lakes wine country he might already be near 86 and it would be a good choice but with the time schedule and distances I don't think he will have time for all of that.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast