User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip to Maine from Colorado

I am planning a 2020 fall trip from Colorado to Maine, with stops at Rv Hall of Fame and Museum, maybe a GD factory tour, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park NY, Lincolns grave site, Acadia. I really don't want to do the tolls but if I have to I will(would like to spend money on other things). Should I get an EZ pass? or do I take I70 instead of I80? Any suggestions for other stops? I am thinking this is a month or so trip. I am open to everybody's wisdom. Thanks
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Lincoln's Tomb to Elkhart I would highly recommend taking I70 instead of I80 as that will keep you away from Chicago. Then head north on 31 from Indianapolis. From Elkhart I80 is the easiest but there are tolls to be paid. We came across I80 to I480 to I271 to I90 earlier this year with no problems. You could drop back south out of Elkhart and take Rt6 east to Fremont then Rt20 until getting close to Cleveland then hit I480, I have not been that way but it looks good on the maps although there is no doubt it will be a good bit slower than the toll roads. I90 in NY is also a toll road. From Niagara Falls to Cooperstown I90 is the best road available. Rt20 looks good on a map if you want a mostly 2 lane road with a decent surface but it goes through a lot of small towns, hills, curves and valleys. From there to Hyde Park is an area I have not been to since I was a little kid. I highly recommend an EZ-Pass, it is a lot easier than digging for money to pay the tolls, it gets you a discount at some toll plazas, and almost every toll booth you will get through MUCH faster than without the EZ-Pass.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Massachusetts, and find the EZ Pass helpful. It does not cost anything except paying the toll. It debits an account you set up. Some of the tolls in this area ar high speed so you do not need to slow down during your travels.

Arcadia is beautiful and I have been there several times. It is crowded in the summer time but something not well known even in these parts is a section of Arcadia called the Schoodic Penninsula. It a northern section and often not even identified in Arcadia literature. In the summer this section does not see a lot of visitors and mostly because they don't know about it. It is part of the Park and included with your Park Pass. Here is a quick link to get you started. It is worth the visit to this section.
    https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/schoodic.htm

Enjoy your trip -- Murph

Ps - love Colorado

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colo native View Post
    I am planning a 2020 fall trip from Colorado to Maine, with stops at Rv Hall of Fame and Museum, maybe a GD factory tour, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park NY, Lincolns grave site, Acadia. I really don't want to do the tolls but if I have to I will(would like to spend money on other things). Should I get an EZ pass? or do I take I70 instead of I80? Any suggestions for other stops? I am thinking this is a month or so trip. I am open to everybody's wisdom. Thanks
    Get the ez pass, you will put extra miles and by more gas to avoid the tolls out east cost will be a wash at worst

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about going through Canada....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just did Cooperstown to Niagra this week, packing up this morning to head back across NY to Lake George then home to NH on Sunday. Rt 90 is the the way go & definitely have an EZ Pass, if there’s traffic the toll lines will be long so better to have a choice on which lane to use.

We took Rt28 to Rt20 to Rt12 out of Cooperstown to Rt90, the last few miles heading to the interstate was all downhill, it would be a long pull uphill if headed the opposite way so find a better route off of Rt90. Check the Hartwick Highlands campground web page for a better route to Cooperstown from Rt90, they list an RV safe route, we saw a lot of other big rigs staying at Hartwick that weekend so it’s safe to follow their directions. Good luck & safe travels!
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think EZ Pass is the way to go, NOW which state is the best to get it from?
    2015 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.7 PSD
    2018 315 RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In NY there is no charge to get an EZ-Pass, there are no annual fees. We have 1 EZ-pass with all of our vehicles on the account and that works well for us.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say that’s the tricky question as all the states seem to have different rules. I’m in MA but got the pass from N.H. and just registered all vehicles and the trailer on there site and it’s all transparent. Sounds like NY is the same. See if either will mail order it to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NY does not honor Pa. ez pass, it will accept it but you do not get a discount. Not sure what other states do when traveling thru NY. My Pa. pass gets a discount thru Indiana and Ohio , have not tried in other states yet.

Brian

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast