User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide Topper Issue

Came home yesterday from work, and something didn't look quite right with my bunkhouse slide topper. So, got up on a ladder to inspect, and WTH. The fabric separated from the polycord that goes into the track mounted on the trailer! Took some pics, called e-Trailer (where I bought them). They got me contact info for Lippert. Called Lippert this AM. Case opened. Had to provide a bunch of info on my 5er, even though it was just for the toppers. That's fine.. Sent to them this evening. They said as soon as they get the info, review and if no issues, will send me a replacement. They asked if I was going to do myself, or take it to a shop. Said I'd do it myself (I installed these).

The fabric wraps around the polycord and then is glued together on the underside. Looks like the glue just let go. Weird. Third trailer with toppers and first time that ever happened.

Sorry for sideways image. I don't know why these forums rotate the image on upload.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0943.jpg  
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Came home yesterday from work, and something didn't look quite right with my bunkhouse slide topper. So, got up on a ladder to inspect, and WTH. The fabric separated from the polycord that goes into the track mounted on the trailer! Took some pics, called e-Trailer (where I bought them). They got me contact info for Lippert. Called Lippert this AM. Case opened. Had to provide a bunch of info on my 5er, even though it was just for the toppers. That's fine.. Sent to them this evening. They said as soon as they get the info, review and if no issues, will send me a replacement. They asked if I was going to do myself, or take it to a shop. Said I'd do it myself (I installed these).

The fabric wraps around the polycord and then is glued together on the underside. Looks like the glue just let go. Weird. Third trailer with toppers and first time that ever happened.

Sorry for sideways image. I don't know why these forums rotate the image on upload.

Mike
    Sorry to hear that Mike. Hope it is not a common issue with Lippert slide toppers and that they take care of you. I have the Solera topper that I put on my 297RSTS back in the spring.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup.. these are the Solara's. Sure hope the others don't start having issues.

Mike

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup.. these are the Solara's. Sure hope the others don't start having issues.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. Guess you and I need to keep a eye on them now. Wonder if anyone else has had this issue or if your's is a fluke.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Walaby,
    you slide topper looks old and worn. are those small holes in it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.. I saw that on the pics too. I think it's water/moisture that was on it when I took the pics.

Definitely not old and worn. And not there in "real life"

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 08-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard back from Lippert today. Replacement material will be shipped out shortly. I should have assumed replacement material and not a whole replacement awning (makes sense). They sent me the instructions on how to replace the material. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Guess we will see in practical execution.

Good thing I saved the little cotter pins.

The replacement material comes in a 50ft roll (width), that you cut to fit. So, I should have enough if all four of my toppers crap out. I have 2 12.5 footers and 2 7.5 footers, which comes to 40 feet. Another 10 foot after that to boot.

Mike

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard back from Lippert today. Replacement material will be shipped out shortly. I should have assumed replacement material and not a whole replacement awning (makes sense). They sent me the instructions on how to replace the material. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Guess we will see in practical execution.

Good thing I saved the little cotter pins.

The replacement material comes in a 50ft roll (width), that you cut to fit. So, I should have enough if all four of my toppers crap out. I have 2 12.5 footers and 2 7.5 footers, which comes to 40 feet. Another 10 foot after that to boot.

Mike
    Glad to hear that Lippert is stepping up to cover the issue. Should be interesting to see how it ships on a 50' roll or how to store the rest.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be wrong about 50 ft roll. I assumed that's what I would get, since the install instructions say 50 ft roll as part of the required items.

May only get the 7.5 ft piece. We'll see... Either way, glad they are covering it with no questions asked.

Mike

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mike. Hope it is not a common issue with Lippert slide toppers and that they take care of you. I have the Solera topper that I put on my 297RSTS back in the spring.

Rob
    Yup, we have the Solera toppers as well, we'll keep a close watch. Thanks for the info.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast