Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solitude

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude

Greetings all, this is my first post on this forum. My wife and I are looking to get back into a 5th wheel. We owned a 2016 Keystone Cougar 333MKS and enjoyed it. I lived in it (stationary) off and on for about a year, and we took a couple of trips with it. We really enjoyed it and only had a couple of minor issues over the course of owning it. We recently sold it to a Camp Fire (Northern California) survivor. With that said, the only real things we didn't like about it was the lack of a separate space for our now 9 year old son. Otherwise if it was just the two of us we'd likely get something similar.

Now for the meat of my question. Since were looking to get back into another 5r, were looking at our options which would accommodate our needs, mainly a bunkhouse of mid-bedroom type floorpan. Right now, we're open to non-keystone brands, and I'm still in the research and shopping phase. While we're keeping our options open, should we stay with Keystone, we're looking at a Montana 384/5BR floorplan.

I've not owned a Grand Design product, but I have read good things about them. Their quality seems top-notch and their included options have some nice features. Should we go with a GD, we're looking for some input and guidance from those who own a Solitude or Solitude-S. The floorpans we like are the Solitude 377MBS or the Solitude-S 3740BH. Any info owners of either of these two models can provide will be greatly appreciated. Even if you don't own these specific models, information about the GD brand in general, good, bad or indifferent will also be very appreciated.

My TV is a non-issue, as we have a 2017 Ram 3500 diesel CC 4x4 with over 5000 pounds payload, and I'm very aware of the ins-outs of TV's loads and driver licensing.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of the 3740. I'm 99% sure if that model was available when we bought our Momentum we would have gotten the 3740. We even considered trading in for it, but it wasn't worth the $ loss to us. Grand Design units arent any better than their competition in the same price range. We are happy, but I think we got a good unit. All new RVs will have some issues, some worse than others. GD stands behind their product and has great customer service, that's been my experience anyway. Their customer service is why we went with them. You will read about problems on this forum, but it's most likely a small percentage of owners. Most people without issues dont normally post how great their RV is on a forum compared to people looking for help with their issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the same floor plan, but a Solitude owner here that is a satisfied customer. This is my third RV, and agree with FT4NOW's statement above; GD is comparable to other RVs in this price point. GD does show signs of hiring engineers, like not having any heating vents in the floor, which I like. Start taking things apart to and see the rats nest of wires and it will have you wondering if they have any process engineering in their factory.

On the question of customer service, GD has been supportive for the two warranty claims I have made. I would advise you to also look into the dealership you choose.

Bottom line, shop for a floorpan you love and choose a reputable dealer and you will be happy in the long run.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S Class is a nice trailer. What impressed us with the S Class is cargo capacity. Many of all trailers the cc is pretty dismal. The S Class cc is a little over 4k#'s. That is toy haulers cc. A lot of people don't worry about it but a lot of people are also over on their cc. That weight adds up faster than you think.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a somewhat preliminary post. We full timed in a 2014 Reflection 337 for three years and were very happy overall with it, although we had some issues that were handled very well by Grand Design, such as brakes, refrigerator broken (Atwood), furnace repair, and Schwintek slide issues with rack gears on the bedroom slide. After buying a small home for 2 years in Kerrville, TX, we chose to sell it and bought a Solitude S Class 2930 RL-R. The major advantages over the Reflection were in the kitchen, improved counter space and great residential refrigerator. We like the 90 % laminate/vinyl floor instead of lots of carpet also. There are a few production issues that we will have our dealer correct when we return to Texas for the winter, but nothing major. I thought we had brake issues with the fifth wheel, but it turned out to be a worn out brake controller in our truck. Grand Design was willing to send any and all parts I needed to me or a local shop, but the solution was simple. Currently we are workamping in Pagosa Springs, CO and plan to winter back in Kerrville for church and some great friends, maybe workamping there also. In conclusion, we feel GDRV has refined and improved fit and finish in the 5 or 6 years since our Reflection, and also when I was inspecting the brake system, all the parts on the Dexter axle brakes showed made in USA. Surprised and pleased.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the input and information so far. I didnt mean to imply in my original post that I was under the impression the GD brand or units were trouble free. I'm fully aware any and all brands and models will have inherent issues rolling off the assembly line. It's often how the manufacturer (and dealer) addresses those issues that can set them apart. It seems as though GD may have an edge in this category. Again, thanks for the info, we're still looking and researching, and considering our options.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a 2020 3740BH it’s a rear bunk rather than mid we went with that as there is more sleep space and more living space with that arrangement. We moved from a Reflection TT to the Solitude FW. One of the main reasons we stated is the build quality and when things do go wrong the customer service.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are on our 5th, 5th wheel. This Solitude is by far the best we have owned. There have been problems but all have been worked out. The prior 4 were all different brands. The last one was a Keystone and it was nothing but trouble all the time.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my understanding that the Solitude -S is a step below the Solitude as far as amenities/trim is concerned? Is this generally correct? Also, I see a couple of models with the -R after the model number, what does that designate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, HO diesel, Aisin 4:10, 4x4, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R designated residential fridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast