User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Water in the battery boxes..

Installed dual 6v batteries on the tongue of my 2670MK. Put a piece of treated lumber inside the rails to support the batteries. After the first trip decided that the box straps weren't sufficient (the boxes shifted a bit), so now am looking at putting a bit of angle bracket on either side to convince them to stay in place. The last month or so, we've been hit with some pretty big storms. No issue to the rest of the trailer, but both boxes are full of water. I checked with baking soda - not acid. So, do I also drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the boxes? But that would mean if there ever was an acid spill, it wouldn't be contained, and could leak out all over the wood and support rails. Which kind of defeats the reason for a box...

Odd that they would fill with water.

Suggestions?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you drove while it was storming out? Maybe water went in through the vent tube. You could always try to reroute the vent tube and curve it up so the curve is higher than the vent outside the trailer, would still allow for venting, but not allow for rain to enter the box.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drill drain holes. That will prevent them from filling up in the future.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also drill a hole in the bottom of the battery box, just make sure it’s a clear shot to the ground, you don’t want any acid dripping on the frame.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Installed dual 6v batteries on the tongue of my 2670MK. Put a piece of treated lumber inside the rails to support the batteries. After the first trip decided that the box straps weren't sufficient (the boxes shifted a bit), so now am looking at putting a bit of angle bracket on either side to convince them to stay in place. The last month or so, we've been hit with some pretty big storms. No issue to the rest of the trailer, but both boxes are full of water. I checked with baking soda - not acid. So, do I also drill a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the boxes? But that would mean if there ever was an acid spill, it wouldn't be contained, and could leak out all over the wood and support rails. Which kind of defeats the reason for a box...

Odd that they would fill with water.

Suggestions?
    They fill due to the vents on top collecting water flowing off the trailer. Your choice on drilling drains, I felt a couple drain holes was the lesser evil. Now solved by boxes in the fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drilled a small hole in mine. The water goes right out to the road. I have done this on each of the 4 campers we have owned. No battery issues yet.
    Odds are high my battery will not be leaking any acid out as long as I maintain it well.
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also recommend drilling some drain holes. The odds of an acid spill are negligible. Think about your tow vehicle for comparison, the batteries in it aren't contained and an acid spill inside the engine compartment would be much more catastrophic. I'd be much more concerned that if the water level rose too much it could compromise the electrolyte in the trailer batteries. JMHO.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks all - I used some waterproof sealant to plug the small vents on the top of the case. Then drilled some holes on the side of the cover right at the very top - the burr from drilling seems to be a perfect protector for channeling water away from the hole. Holes are on the back side, so road spray has a harder time getting in. We'll see....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)