Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officially Full Timers now

As of 2:30 yesterday afternoon we became "Full Timers". We sold our house and workshop and started this new adventure. We built the house in 1991 and the workshop in 2008. I built a pad to back our first travel trailer in and when we got the 337 it was a little tight but it worked fine. I cleaned the trailer and it was spotless when we moved it down the road to an RV park but we are parked on a dirt area and with the amount of rain we have got the last week there is mud everywhere. We head out of northern NY the day after Labor Day and we'll head to the DC area to see our son and daughter in law for a few days then head to Ky to see friends there. From there it's off to St. Louis for a few days to see my niece then off to Ft. Collins to visit my Mom ( going on 87 ) for a week. From there we will head back east to the Gatlinburg area, Ashville NC, Ga, Fl panhandle, then arrive in south west Fl around the third week of Oct. for the winter. We have spent the last couple of winters in our fifth wheel so it is not new to us but not having a house to go to feels strange. Our dream is coming true. Coming soon to a town near you, Boomer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! We're 38 months behind you. We sold our home earlier this year and down-sized to a nice apartment. We look at that as a half-step towards RV living. We're investing the proceeds from our home sale (it was paid off) which should accelerate our savings :-) Should have done that a few years earlier. We have the RV and truck, and have been taking longer and farther trips as "test runs". Hoping my boss will let me work remotely from the RV for a month next summer... Wish you the very best!
    Last edited by TheBuckners; 08-24-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Alan & Helen Buckner
    Houston, Texas - Weekenders now; full timers in 3 years!
    2019 Reflection 337RLS with Reese Goosebox and Champion 3400W Generator
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat Diesel 4x4 SRW with B&W Turnoverball Hitch + 4" extender

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Boomer58! We're 6 1/2 years ahead of you and don't regret it one bit. We never look back...just ahead.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Boomer58, we are 8 years ahead of you. Your comments on a spotless RV are fun, you'll get used to a little road dirt. Some places hate RV washing, some are ok with and some charge a small fee. I always pay the fee.

You'll miss the shop and the house a bit, it's to be expected. You had lots of stuff handy, now you have just a little bit of stuff handy, it takes time to get used to it. The full timers rule you will quickly learn is that the RV is full, either space wise or weight wise, that means before you can buy something new you must be prepared to throw something out. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the way it is. About the only thing that is in our current RV that we started out with is my hand tools. All the power tools have been replaced. Canoe - gone. Motorcycles, changed out 4 different times, bicycles changed out twice (love the new E-bikes). All work clothes gone.

The hardest lesson was to slow down. Always, our entire lives, we only had a week or two, now if we cover the same distance in a month it's ok. Your budget will be your guide.

Safe Travels!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    ...The full timers rule you will quickly learn is that the RV is full, either space wise or weight wise, that means before you can buy something new you must be prepared to throw something out.
    ...The hardest lesson was to slow down. Always, our entire lives, we only had a week or two, now if we cover the same distance in a month it's ok. Your budget will be your guide.
    Excellent advice!
    Alan & Helen Buckner
    Houston, Texas - Weekenders now; full timers in 3 years!
    2019 Reflection 337RLS with Reese Goosebox and Champion 3400W Generator
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat Diesel 4x4 SRW with B&W Turnoverball Hitch + 4" extender

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes. I hear ya D2 on the slowing down part. It was always a mad rush to try to squeeze 3 weeks in to a 2 week vacation. We have traveled cross country in the back of a pickup with a cap, a tent, a truck camper, a teardrop trailer, a travel trailer, and now a 5th wheel. I am just anxious to get out of here next week and get on the road. Some loose ends here to clean up then we are gone.