User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another solar inverter lithium battery install

I will be starting my off grid power install on my Reflections 315RLTS soon. I’ve read so many threads and watched about 200 hours of youtube videos (analysis paralysis). Read Howson’s inverter/battery install and tried to plagiarize as much as possible. My list equipment being installed:

Victron 12/3000 inverter charger
    2 lifeblue 150 ah batteries - 2 reasons for deviating from battleborn, 1. Only need to connect 2 batteries and 2. Amsolar suggested using these. I think because I wanted 300ah and it would be easier to install.
    Victron 100/50 MPPT controller
    3 Hi-Tech 200 watt monocrystaline solar panels

Decided to use Amsolar for most of the equipment except solar panels. Price was the decision. 600 watts for 505.00.

also bought there kit for inverter, MPPT controller and the batteries - seemed easier and quicker to let then assemble most of the wires, lugs, breakers, and switches.

There are several areas that still have me confused even after rereading post https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post227986 a lot.
    I don’t think I want charge the batteries from truck. So just disconnect wire 4 from harness? I used to be pretty good with electronics but still don’t understand how the connection from trailer to truck works. I see the pictures but it would be helpful to see an actual electronic schematic.

My other dilemma is how to bring wires down from roof. My thought is to drill a hole near the vent tube that goes down by hutch, but I was wondering if it was possible to bring straight down wall in bedroom closet. Any suggestion would be great. I plan on starting my install Labor Day weekend so I still have a week to make up my mind on how to wire everything. I have attached a diagram of where in pass though storage I will put everything. Amsolar suggested that I layout all the components on board and lift in to pass through and only make final connections in the pass through. Since I’m 6’4” I think this makes a lot of sense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solardrawing.pdf 
Views:	79 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	22128
    2019 Reflections 315RLTS
    2005 F250 Powerstroke Bulletproofed
    2014 HD FLHTK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 7-pin junction box and DC Distribution, yours of course is somewhat different.
    The truck 12V charge wire on mine is White/Blue leaving the junction box, then connecting to the DC Bus.
    Seems you can just disconnect it from your DC Bus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 317RST Pin Box Junction Box.pdf   317RST DC Power Distribution-f.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Tori View Post
    I will be starting my off grid power install on my Reflections 315RLTS soon. I’ve read so many threads and watched about 200 hours of youtube videos (analysis paralysis). Read Howson’s inverter/battery install and tried to plagiarize as much as possible. My list equipment being installed:

2 lifeblue 150 ah batteries - 2 reasons for deviating from battleborn, 1. Only need to connect 2 batteries and 2. Amsolar suggested using these. I think because I wanted 300ah and it would be easier to install.

Decided to use Amsolar for most of the equipment except solar panels. Price was the decision. 600 watts for 505.00.

also bought there kit for inverter, MPPT controller and the batteries - seemed easier and quicker to let then assemble most of the wires, lugs, breakers, and switches.

There are several areas that still have me confused even after rereading post https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post227986 a lot.
    I don’t think I want charge the batteries from truck. So just disconnect wire 4 from harness? I used to be pretty good with electronics but still don’t understand how the connection from trailer to truck works. I see the pictures but it would be helpful to see an actual electronic schematic.

My other dilemma is how to bring wires down from roof. My thought is to drill a hole near the vent tube that goes down by hutch, but I was wondering if it was possible to bring straight down wall in bedroom closet. Any suggestion would be great. I plan on starting my install Labor Day weekend so I still have a week to make up my mind on how to wire everything. I have attached a diagram of where in pass though storage I will put everything. Amsolar suggested that I layout all the components on board and lift in to pass through and only make final connections in the pass through. Since I’m 6’4” I think this makes a lot of sense.
    1) I hope AMSolar is sending enough wire. The distance from the inverter to the SmartATS (if you're duplicating my install) required more than what they sent. I ended up sending back all but the 2/0 and 4/0 and bought what I needed from Lowes.

2) Can I ask why you don't want to charge the batteries from the truck? It's a very small amount (if your truck is similar to mine)--why not utilize every source you have available? (There will be rainy, cloudy days while towing where you'll probably be glad to have the trickle charge from the truck.) If your mind is made up, what I suggest is tracing the wire to the junction behind the tongue and capping it off. If you change your mind it will be easy to put it back on. (There are only three +12V wires that hook into the 30A self-resetting breakers behind the tongue; the jack, the charge wire from the 7-pin harness, and the emergency brake line. It's easy enough to figure out. Don't forget these are live 12+ wires if you have your battery connected!)

3) I'm on the road headed to the National Rally, so forgive me in advance if my replies are somewhat tardy.

-Howard

P.S. I was sure I'd drawn out the DC circuit...I'll have to look through my files and will post again later.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at post 139 https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post227986

The first picture shows the OEM layout. The third is how I wired it together. What may not be obvious and isn't documented is the physical wires from the 30A breakers to the OEM shutoff switch were removed as they were not utilized. I also removed and didn't use the OEM wire from the battery to the 30A breakers. I ran a new 6(?)ga wire (duplicating what the OEM used) from the 30A breaker to shutoff #2. If you look closely at picture #1 where the battery connects and then at picture #3 you'll see the new wire is connected to the exact same post of the same breaker.

For the install itself, I did almost exactly what (I think) you're saying. I installed all the bits and pieces outside of the trailer and then slid it into place without the batteries. The batteries were last and were easily the most hair-raising part of the install. There's not much room in that passthru (I'm not a small guy, either) and working with those high-capacity 12V batteries is dicey business. Doing two batteries will be much, much easier than my four Battle Borns!

Give yourself plenty of time. From start to finish I think it was almost three weeks before it was actually completely done. (Since you've read the thread you know the story why.)

Have you read post #241 and on? The SmartATS is great, but "too great" in some instances. The follow-on relay system I installed is working great so far.

I can't help with the roof question since I don't have solar. Please document what you do, though, as I may end up "stealing" your solar setup in the future.

Final piece of advice for tonight--if in doubt talk to Mitchell or Garrett. Anyone else put an asterisk next to what they tell you. (No disrespect meant to any AMSolar employee--Mitchell and Garrett are the two truly knowledgeable individuals that really know.)

-Howard

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    1) I hope AMSolar is sending enough wire. The distance from the inverter to the SmartATS (if you're duplicating my install) required more than what they sent. I ended up sending back all but the 2/0 and 4/0 and bought what I needed from Lowes.

2) Can I ask why you don't want to charge the batteries from the truck? It's a very small amount (if your truck is similar to mine)--why not utilize every source you have available? (There will be rainy, cloudy days while towing where you'll probably be glad to have the trickle charge from the truck.) If your mind is made up, what I suggest is tracing the wire to the junction behind the tongue and capping it off. If you change your mind it will be easy to put it back on. (There are only three +12V wires that hook into the 30A self-resetting breakers behind the tongue; the jack, the charge wire from the 7-pin harness, and the emergency brake line. It's easy enough to figure out. Don't forget these are live 12+ wires if you have your battery connected!)

3) I'm on the road headed to the National Rally, so forgive me in advance if my replies are somewhat tardy.

-Howard

P.S. I was sure I'd drawn out the DC circuit...I'll have to look through my files and will post again later.
    1. I looked at your install and had them give me more wire. I believe I have a total of 30 feet 6/2.
    2. Mainly from the concern that difference in voltage between lead acid and lithium’s would cause issue with new lithium batteries. I’ve read many threads about the alternator on my year ford not being able supply enough amps to charge the truck batteries.
    2019 Reflections 315RLTS
    2014 HD FLHTK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. Mainly from the concern that difference in voltage between lead acid and lithium’s would cause issue with new lithium batteries. I’ve read many threads about the alternator on my year ford not being able supply enough amps to charge the truck batteries.
    I'd read something like that about the lithium batteries connected to the truck. Lost track of where I read it.
    Had me thinking of my old DC to DC charger hookup to the truck idea.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask what you had to pay for the 150 amp hour Lifeblue batteries?

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I looked at your install and had them give me more wire. I believe I have a total of 30 feet 6/2.
    Gotcha!

Good luck with the install.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Can I ask what you had to pay for the 150 amp hour Lifeblue batteries?

Red
    I purchased this kit from Amsolar. https://amsolar.com/rv-lithium-batte...40-lilbbmv1502
    Includes the batteries, wires, and monitor.
    2019 Reflections 315RLTS
    2014 HD FLHTK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast