User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently camping, furnace died, odd behaviour.

We are in the middle of a 3 week camping trip and up till now the couple times we used the furnace on cold mornings it worked flawlessly. This morning it failed upon turning it on. I’ve googled my symptoms and can find no examples matching what my furnace is doing.

Upon call for heat, the blower fan turns on for a second, then off for a second, then back on for second and off again. It does this 5 times exactly and then gives up. Voltage is fine, propane is fine, just seems the blower never gets to full speed before it shuts off. If I shut off then back on it’ll repeat the 5 attempts again. I opened the outside cover and checked the connections including the sail switch with a ohm meter. All seems okay. Even checked the voltage on the thermostat call wire with a solid 13.5 volts. Power is not a problem with 3 lithium battery’s and on shore power with a 100amp charger!

I tried calling Suburban thinking that this 5 cycle thing might be a fault clue. Tech guy could only say probably the blower motor or control board... take to service center. Waste of my time.

Anyone else experience this symptom and find a fix? I have another week and half of camping without the ability to take in for service (doubt I could get fast service this time of year anyway). Model is SF-35Q.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And of course... just tried it again and the furnace works normally again. It rained heavily this morning so I can only guess that had an effect. When I took the outside cover off it was dry so water ingress did not seem to be an issue. Looks like a problem that will continually haunt me.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd