User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silt, CO to Casper, WY

Looking at changing things up a bit and taking a different route. We're thinking of making a stop in Silt, CO and then need to head up to Casper, WY. Google Maps shows going up CO 13 to the 80. Have any of you been up that route? See any issues pulling a trailer that way?

Thanks!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you about CO13. But we're in Casper now. We enjoyed the Thursday night band at Yellowstone Garage and like the park we are in: Riversedge RV Park in Evansville.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its been a few years but should be good. 13 actually joins I 70 at Rifle, so if you stop at Silt you will need to backtrack. There is a Rifle bypass just west of town (truck route) if you want to avoid the city traffic. North of Craig is scenic, but can have high cross winds. Check the Colorado web site for construction, road conditions etc. https://www.cotrip.org Its a beautiful drive.

PS there is a dump station at the Rifle rest area if that helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go up 13 to I-80 take 287/220 from Rawlins to Casper. After Muddy Gap on 220 stop at Independence Rock. It is a huge rock people wrote on while passing by on the Oregon Trail
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. Just a little back story. Every 5 years my wife's family has a family reunion in the Black Hills. We have longtime friends that moved from So Cal to Casper, WY. The last reunion we went up the 15 to I80, up Rawlins, in to Casper, hung out a while, and then in to the Black Hills.

On our return trip, came down I 25 to I 70, down to Moab.

This time I want to change it up a bit. Looking at the route mentioned above. Than on the way back, I 25 down to 160.

2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you get to Durango on 160 give me a shout. 160 is good road..Just remember to play the appropriate song coming down Wolf Creek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LzWZYWpOU
    Last edited by powerscol; 08-26-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    When you get to Durango on 160 give me a shout. 160 is good road..Just remember to play the appropriate song coming down Wolf Creek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LzWZYWpOU
    It will be added to the playlist. I never thought of taking that route, but a guy on YouTube did a video on driving through there. Looked beautiful, and I'm always up for a change of scenery, as long as it's doable.

2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    It will be added to the playlist. I never thought of taking that route, but a guy on YouTube did a video on driving through there. Looked beautiful, and I'm always up for a change of scenery, as long as it's doable.
    With your truck it is very doable. Just remember to go slow down the grade. Lots of places to pull over and look. Check https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm for Colorado road conditions and construction.

For more scenery stay on 160 out of Durango to Kayenta Arizona then head north on 163 through Monument Valley towards Blanding Utah, then head west on 95/24/12. This will take you through the best part of Utah with Glen Canyon, Capital Reef, Bryce and Zion. There are lots of other sites to see too. At Long Valley Junction after Bryce take 14 to Ceder City to catch I15 south to get to Zion. The back door into Zion on 9 has a restricted tunnel that most cant fit through. Plenty of camping of all types along the route. If you don't want to see Monument Valley where all the westerns were shot, the short cut is 491 out of Cortez north to Monticello then south on 191 to Blanding, The junction with 95 is south of town. All good road and the town folks are friendly.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tips! We went through Monument Valley that last trip. Had to get to my Duke roots and enjoy the scenery there. I owe the RV park in Bluff a favor for something they helped us out with the last trip. They probably have long forgotten, but I owe it to them to stay there. I heard of some good scenery down 191 to the 40. So we plan on going to 4 corners, back track a little to 162 to Bluff. Stay the night, then down the 191 to the 40, stay in Winslow, stand on a corner, see the big hole, then to Lake Havasu City for the night so the kids can see Nana and Grandpa, then home to get back to that nasty "w" word.

I like try to mix in scenery with little things we can pull of to see, like the crater, so the kids can have corny little things to remember. Kind of lay the base so when they're old enough they can those things with their family. Unfortunately, "w" keeps our trips limited on time, but we get to check stuff of the list, build some memories, and maybe make destination points vs. passing through.

I love going through old towns. Some of the nicest people are there and I always try to give brick a mortar some business.

2020 Momentum 351M